Skip to content

Betty’s Week

  Our church page is currently being updated. If you would like an ad on this page it is $11 per week, billed monthly.

    To be a part of this program, just call the Herald office at 473-1473 and someone will come to see you, or you can stop by and give us your ad information. In addition to the advertisements, the page also carries names, addresses and pastors of county churches, along with current church news (revivals, homecomings, and other special events from the various area churches). To get your church news into the paper, just bring it by, on or before, Monday prior to the date of the event.


  The U.S. Postal Service has mandated some changes in the delivery (bundling and bagging) of our paper. We have followed their guidelines to the best of our ability, with the promise of better delivery. We hope this will happen. Also included in this sweeping change is a hefty postage increase which will ultimately  bring an increase in subscription charges. We’re going to wait and see just how much postage will go up before deciding what our subscription rates will have to be.


  On the Fourth, Becky and Stan Crow, along with son Michael, hosted a grilled lemon pepper chicken and pork tenderloin lunch. Along with all the trimmings, delicious lemon ice box pie and chocolate cobbler, and plenty of ice tea, we enjoyed a great holiday meal. Guests were Al and Betty Davis, Cindy Barnes and me. Food was delicious and the fellowship even better. Good friends are wonderful.

  Prior to lunch, Becky and I had repotted the late Mary Belle Crowell’s Mother-in-Law Tongue. The thing had grown so large that it was bursting the pot. Becky wanted plants, as did Sister Jimmie, so we attack the thing. Becky went away with two pots full, took a couple to Jimmie and I still had two pots left. This is the third or fourth time I’ve had to divide this plant since in came to me.

  Most of our plants are named for the person providing them. My mother-in-law tongue, is of course, called Mary Belle.

  On the hill I have Pattie (for Pattie Goodwin), Lucille (for the late Lucille Tutor), Ed and Betty (for the Hills), Dollie (for Mother Shearer) and it just goes on and on.

  I re-potted and put my Mandavilla on a trellis late Wednesday (before I went for supper) and it’s looking great. With the slow, gentle rains we’re having, most of the plants on the hill are faring much better. I’m amazed at the blooms each morning. Boy, Ed would have loved this.—he did enjoy seeing flowers and veggies grow.

  Fourth Barbecue was held at Bill’s and Jimmie’s, with Brother Bo as Chef. He grilled bacon wrapped deer tenderloin, quail, chicken, pork ribs, and onions—all were delicious. Carolyn and Jimmie added baked beans, potato salad, cole slaw, all kinds of cakes, home-made ice cream, and banana pudding.

  Most of local family was present and we had a great time—eating way to much and catching up on all the news.


  Great Nephew Ruff celebrated his Sixth Birthday on the Fifth. Jimmie said she commented, “Ruff, you can’t be six years old, that makes me feel old!” His cousin, Ian, youngest of her grands, remarked, “Grandmother, you are old!” Ian’s brother, Harris, the oldest grand will be eight later this month. Ruff belongs to Nephew Michael and Harris and Ruff belong to Nephew William and Karen. They’re all cute kids.


  Lynn Terrell is still painting and he’s doing a great job.

  On Friday afternoon he dropped by to tell that he was ready to paint the bathroom and that I needed to remove the wallpaper. To do this I enlisted the help of Sister-in-Law Carolyn and Sister Jimmie, both of whom have extensive experience with this chore. Their main problem with my project was that the upstairs air conditioner is out and it was about 95 degrees Sunday afternoon. Neither of them died of heat stroke and they did accomplish the job. However, their hair felt like it had been cemented in place. They kept spraying each other with the wallpaper remover solution and then dropping the sticky paper onto each other’s heads. Sticky paper was also all over the floor and they were walking in it. I’d pick it off their feet and place it in the garbage bag, but most of the glue remained on feet. Jimmie was wearing her bright blue clogs and when they were finished, she started to put her feet into the shoes. I remarked, “Make sure that’s you favorite color, because I think you’ll be wearing them until they wear completely out!” She thought about that for a few minutes, then decided to go downstairs and wash her feet before donning her shoes. Carolyn followed suit, even washing her face and arms.

  While they were busy with the paper, Bo and I replaced my downstairs hall light, which had been out since before Ed’s death—I really don’t rush into projects. The thing was completely burned up so it was off to find a replacement. Only light fixture I could find in my junk was a kitchen fixture—but it does make lots of light and I’m enjoying it. Probably won’t replace it until it burns up.

  I did appreciate all the help from my family—couldn’t get along without them.


  After the crew left, I took glasses to the sink, glanced at the clock, which read 4:50. Thought, “Great, I can still make church.” Even though I couldn’t believe it was that early—seemed like it should have been at least eight—I slipped through the shower, dressed and it was off to church. Found another glass, and again I checked the stove clock, which now read 5:20. Pulling into the church parking lot, there was not a vehicle in sight. Even Bro. Ken’s red truck was missing. I still had not looked at my watch or the van clock. Found the church door locked and I really thought something was bad wrong. Getting back into the van, I started to get out my cell phone to call and see what was happening, when my eye caught the van clock. It read 7:30, further investigation from my watch verified that indeed it was 7:30—not 5:30. Back home, I discovered the kitchen clocks were all wrong, due to a power outage sometime over the weekend. Well, I tried to get to church Sunday night—maybe God gives credit for an honest valiant effort.

Leave a Comment