Skip to content

Betty’s Week

    Enjoyed election night returns in the park last Tuesday night. Arrived, ate a delicious hot dog, prepared by the Tri-Lake Fair Ground Association, then visited with several folks during the evening.

    Had a long talk with Lucia and Don Holloway and Bobby Cox. Both Don’s and Bobby’s classes had reunions during Watermelon Carnival weekend and it was fun to hear about these. Of course, election and weather were also major items of discussion. Thank you Tri-Lake Fairground Association for hosting this event.

  Congratulations to all the winners. We’re left with just one contested post in the county—sheriff’s race. Both incumbent Lance Humphries and candidate Jamie Caldwell have ads in this week’s paper. The Herald has never supported a local candidate and we continue this policy in this race. However, we do urge every registered voter to get out and vote on August 28th.     

    I’m sure each of these men would like to have a fair election and the only way for this to happen is for everyone to vote. Go out and vote just as if you were making a choice for every office in the county and state.


  Received many calls last Wednesday, asking when the Second Primary was to be held. Seems that we had August 21st in one place and August 28th in others. Correct date will be August 28th, three weeks after the First Primary. For many years there was only two weeks between these primaries, so that may have prompted the error, or maybe we just hit the wrong key. At any rate, we do apologize for this mis-information.

  Other calls came from the omission of a location on one of the yard sale ads. When the first call came in I found my copy, thinking that I’d just left out the address. Not so, it was just not there. The ad had been paid for with cash and I could not remember who had placed it. The advertiser never called to tell us who they were. I hope some of the many folks who called found the sale.


  Enjoyed a busy, but fun, weekend.

  Thursday night we played Bridge and I actually had good hands for the first two tables. Then, on the third table, wound up with zero points for the five games. Never had more than five points, and often a couple of times one and two. It’s hard to win with hands like those.

  This was a farewell game (for at least a year) for one of our members—Hilda Broome. Hilda and husband Carlock are off to Montana to teach on an Indian Reservation for the year. Dr. Broome is retired from Pope School, where he served for many years as principal. Hilda, who had taught for many years, is semi-retired.

    He will serve in an administrative capacity and she will teach. We will miss them, but know they’re in for an exciting adventure. We were discussing the extreme cold climate and the huge amounts of snow that is prevalent in Montana, when Hilda commented, “Well I like snow!”

    Having heard many first hand accounts of the winter conditions there, I’m sure glad she does. Told her I’d come to see her in the summer.

  Jim had arrived in Memphis on Thursday, spent the night with friends, Lucy and Charlie Wood, and they did some work on the new CD. Jimmie and I picked him up at noon on Friday.

  There was a time when I was doubtful of seeing my child, with him just an hour from me. Jimmie got smart—decided to miss all the construction on I-55. We got off on Church Road, then traveled down Airways.

    In the airport area, we missed the turn, wound up on Democrat, passed the back side of the airport, the National Guard Area and somewhere way past Tchulahoma we got turned in the right direction. Finally got back to Airways, with a determination not to make the same mistake again.

    Nailed that turn and were still on Airways. However, after a few miles our lane of Airways just stopped. We had to turn around. Got onto Nonconnah and then various other streets, before finally finding Airways again. This time it stayed put until we found Greer—Lucy’s and Charlie’s street. Jim was standing on the curb, trying to call us.     He was using Jimmie’s cell number—knows mine is never on. When we finally got to him, he says, “Don’t either of you answer phones?” Somewhere back on Airways Jimmie has remarked, “I really thought Jim would have called us by now. Have you heard my phone ring?”   “No, I have not,” I answered.”  There was a reason for that and after Jim’s question we found it. Her phone was still on the charger, which was on her kitchen counter.

  Many cute comments came from me during this escapade. “We could have picked him up in NM—the trip would have been shorter.” “I don’t think we’re going to make Mom’s birthday party—wonder if they’ll miss us?”  

    “This is one way to get out of all that cooking.”  “Are we seeing parts of Memphis, that you’ve never seen?” And believe me, we were. This went on for what seemed like hours, actually it was only about 30 or so minutes. All the while, she kept putting me within a coat of paint of these huge 18-wheelers that were trying to run us over—wasn’t pleasant. The streets were narrow.

  After retrieving Jim we went for barbecue—Corkey’s—and it was great, as always.

  Then it was back to Mom’s to fix her hair, get clothes ready, so all she had to do on Saturday morning was dress for her big day. Mom was 93 on August 8th, but her party was held on the 11th, so as many of her clan as could had time to gather.

  After leaving Mom’s we had to shop—and shopping with Jim was a trip. If in doubt, we purchased items, he was determined not to make a return trip to Batesville and he knew he’d already been elected as the go-for. We did great, except we didn’t know Gus was out of dog food. So it was back to town for this, and since we were out and had not eaten for a few hours it was on to Sardis and Smokin’ M’s for catfish. Jim now had consumed two of his southern favorites.

  Then on Saturday and Sunday, he get the rest of his southern foods—fried chicken, roast and gravy, peas, lima beans, creamed corn, fried okra, watermelon, home-made ice cream, pies, cakes, etc. He says he gains several pounds each visit. Niece Nita reports the same—but she’s thin as a rail and can afford it.

  Mom had all her children, all her married-in children, five of her grands, and one great-grand present for her birthday. Also attending were her pastor, her Sunday School teacher, other Sunday School members, and several close friends. She really had a big day and we’re all looking forward to the 94th next year.

  Highlight of the day was playing with great-grand Ruff, son of grand Michael Cole. He had all the adults whipped into shape, while we enjoyed a game of his creation. He made the rules and you did not break them.

    We were tossing coins and tokens into a plastic cup—it was much too hot to be outside, so game time was in the playroom.     He made sure we knew we were not gambling—it was not betting, it was just making sure that the one tossing knew how little or much we believed they could get that coin into the cup.     

    Only two made it—Jim, with his affirmation of a dime and six pennies, and Ginny, with one hundred dollars (from her husband, Rance), a quarter, a dime, and four pennies. Ginny had not come anywhere close to that cup, until Rance yelled a hundred dollars. Then she put it in without even touching the rim. Ruff made sure that Rance paid his debt, as well as the rest of us, and then declared, $100, a dime, a quarter, and four pennies. This was the last game. If you really want to have fun, just find you a smart little boy (Ruff is six) and let them make up the game and the rules.

  Another interesting thing about this game was that folks had designated jobs. Jim was token finder. Ruff lost a token early on and Jim, after much searching found it. Then Jim went upstairs to make a phone call and Ruff lost the token again. Jimmie, Michael, and I searched the entire room to no avail. Ruff then went to the bottom of the stairs and yelled, “Jim, Jim, I need you!” Jim came running down and was informed that he had to find the token. After much searching, Jim thought he was going to let the little fellow down. However, he moved the trash can, then the stove in the cooking area and there it was—thus he was dubbed, “Token Finder” and that name will probably stick for the rest of his life.

    Michael became Coin Finder, and Jimmie “MeeMaw” was his booster to the stool he had to sit on to make his tosses. You also could not go out of turn—It was Ruff, MeeMaw, Uncle Rance, Me, Token Finder, Michael, PapPaw Bill, and Aunt Ginny. One time Jimmie had to answer the phone and we waited several minutes before the game could continue.


  After putting up the food, doing the dishes, Jim and I went by Gina’s and Don’s to see their home renovations and new construction. They’re screening in the carport and building a new outside cooking area. Jim also had not seen their new floors, deck and storage building. We approved of all—It’s really going to be nice.

  Back at home, we talked into the wee hours, then hit the hay so we could get up in time for church. Jim directed the music and presented the special music and did a great job, as always.

  After church services it was a quick stop at Mom’s for lunch and goodbyes, before getting him to the airport. We didn’t take any detours, just went straight, with Jim driving. He arrived home while I was in church Sunday night, left a message, and I still have not talked to him. All that’s necessary though, is just to know he’s safely back on the ground. He and Celeste begin school this week, so they’ll be busy for awhile. We’re looking forward to their visit at Christmas and Jimmie and I may go to NM sometime this fall.


  I’d better wrap this column up, so we can get the paper to the printer on time.

  Do be careful if you have to be out in this heat—it is dangerous. I thought Judge Lundy made a correct call on banning outside sport and band practices in this heat. I’m sorry his ruling was overturned. I trust that all coaches and band directors will use good judgement in caring for these young folks—we don’t want any more heat related deaths.

Leave a Comment