Skip to content

Betty’s Week

By Betty Shearer

    Talked to columnist Charles Cooper Monday morning. Found him disturbed because some people had read into his column about Dr. George Brown something that he did not intend.

    He says, “I was simply stating that Dr. George did outstanding work under primitive conditions—and they were—and certainly not that he was a primitive physician. Roads were horrible and we did not have the medical equipment we have today.”

    “However,” he continued, “I know that Dr. George always kept state-of-the-art equipment and was abreast of the latest medical procedures. We only had to listen to the testimony of so many Vallians who were saved by his expert medical knowledge and his going above and beyond to take care of his patients to know what a gem he was. WV was really fortunate to have both Dr. George and Mrs. Brown, who was his nurse in the early days.”

  As I listened to Charles, I could certainly attest to all these facts. Many a day Ed and I ate with Dr. and Mrs. Brown at Sartain’s Cafe. I listened in amazement to the stories that Ed drug out of them—they really didn’t like talking about the great things they had accomplished through the years.

    I was the recipient of two of these compassionate actions. First time was shortly after Jim was born. I developed a horrible infection. Ed went to Dr. George and explained the situation, a prescription was called into Turnage’s, Ed picked it up and I was fine in a couple of days—never saw the doctor.

    Dr. Spears had delivered Jim and was immediately called out of town. If the need arose, Dr. George cared for you whether you were his patient or not. Second was when we were moving the Herald from the building where Attorney Ben Horan’s Office is presently located to the building at 500 Main, which we’ve just vacated, Ed was steadying a piece of equipment on the fork lift. He got his little finger just a bit to far under the fork and the end was pinched off. Jim was sick and I was home with him, so when Jimmie came for me, telling me that Ed was O.K. but was in the hospital emergency room, I had visions of his being completely crushed.     That’s exactly what I expected to happen to someone during this move. I went in and was sitting in the ER waiting room. Dr. George came out, put his arm around my shoulders and says , “Betty, are you O.K., you look a lot worse than Ed?”

    I answered that I was fine so Dr. George says, “Come with me then.” Got inside and Ed was sitting on the end of the examining table holding up his little finger. His concern was that he was going to loose the first joint and not be able to play his beloved sax, the piano, or several other instruments.

    I was just glad to see him in one piece. Dr. George assured Ed that he could just trim it up a bit, put in a few stitches and the finger would be fine—maybe a quarter of an inch short, that it would never be pretty, and probably never have a nail. Ed was happy as a lark and I was smiling.

  One Doctor and Mrs. Brown story that I vividly remember from my earliest days in the Valley is this:

  A man came into the office while Dr. George was there.     

    After the Dr. left the man says, “If it were not for that man and his wife I would not be standing here, and none of my brothers and sisters would be alive either. When he was born, the family lived out in the Pine Valley Area, I think. It was after a bad rainy spell that his mother went into labor and it was not good.

    His father somehow got to Dr. Brown’s office and Dr. and Mrs. Brown came with him, driving their car as far as possible, then riding a horse the rest of the way. The baby was born and both the mother and the baby were in bad shape. Dr. Brown and the father carried the mother and Mrs. Brown the baby. They got back to the hospital and both lived long lives. I don’t remember who told it, but I do remember the story.

  Through the years I’ve heard many more Brown family medical stories and they were all wonderful—we did love and appreciate these wonderful assets.

  They were Canadians and I’ve often wondered why we were fortunate enough to have them come and live among us. Never thought to ask.


  Last Thursday morning friend Robert Montgomery came in, plopped a Coor’s Lite box on the front counter and says, “Betty, this is probably not your brand, but I think you’ll like it anyway!”  

    I says, “Robert, what do you have in that box?” He just laughed. I opened the box and sure enough I did like it. It was some more of his wonderful sweet potatoes and I’m here to report that Coor’s Sweet Potatoes are fine—lots tastier than the original content of that box.

  Robert has been clowning since I’ve known him and that’s over 50 years. When he was a teenager in the 50’s, I first met Robert. He was sitting on a stool at Ludie’s and Ben’s Cafe on the corner where Sprint Mart is now located. He was entertaining with a comedy routine then and it hasn’t stopped. If you need your day brighten, just look Robert up—he can do it. I’ve enjoyed our years of friendship and I hope they continue for a long time. Thanks for the taters, Robert—Mom also sends her appreciation.


  Got to Mom’s Saturday morning and first thing she asked was, “How are Celeste and Jim doing?” I had to answer that Id didn’t know—realized that I had not talked to them all week. Do believe it is the first time Jim’s ever failed to call Wednesday morning to make sure we got a paper out. He called Monday, though, and they are fine. Had just been very busy during the Easter Season and now Celeste is getting ready for band contest.


  The next few weeks are going to be busy in the Valley, with the city’s 150th Birthday Party on the 19th and then Relay for Life on the 25th.

  If you have not entered the many events planned for the 19th, you still have a few more days to do so. Call Jessie Gurner for info on any of these and she will either help you are direct you to the chairman of the event you’re interested in.

Leave a Comment