• The Blue Devil offense averaged 20.2 points per game in 2007, while giving up a school record 38.5.
• Defensive Coordinator Richard Russo welcomes two first year players in the defensive secondary, as Tank Hervy and Josh Johnson are slated to start at cornerback and strong safety respectively.
• While defensive tackle coach Bryant Mix and head coach Brad Embry will share the same sideline during the fall, the two were actually on opposing sidelines in high school, as Mix starred for Water Valley, as Embry did the same for Bruce High School. Mix took his football career to Alcorn State, while Embry spent his college playing days at Delta State.
• The two holdovers from Trent Hammond’s staff are Clint Faust and Mix
• Embry’s two previous coaching positions were at Madison Central where he was in charge of running backs, and at Tupelo where the first year head coach was in charge of the offensive line.
• Wide Receivers and Safeties coach Shane Brown returns to the staff after a one year absence. Brown also coaches the Water Valley softball team.
• Russo comes to the Blue Devils after a stint as head coach at North Delta. Russo also coached at Bruce High School, continuing the connections of former Trojans on the Water Valley staff.