Water Valley Vs. Coffeeville
By Bobby Murphree
• WHEN, WHERE: Friday, 7:30 p.m. CHS Field
• RECORDS: (Last Year)WV 2-8 (1-4), Coffeeville 3-7
• SERIES: WV leads 27-5-1
• FIRST MEETING: 1968 WV won 30-14
• LAST MEETING: 2007 WV won 36-16
• TV: Cable Channel 57 (Delay) starting 11:am Saturday thru Sunday
• RADIO: WTMN 105.5 mhz. 7:30 pm
• TEAM COMPARISONS: (Last Year)WV averages 22.8 offense, and gives up 38.7 on defense. Coffeeville averages 14.7 offenses and gives up 24.6 on defense.
• NOTABLES: WV kicks off the 2008 campaign with with new head coach Brad Embry. The former Tupelo High School assistant, becomes the 16th Blue Devil head man since 1942. After four years at the helm, Trent Hammond leaves the program with a 20-23-0 overall record. The 2007 Devils finished 2-8, the worst since the 1984 season. The defense hopes to improve their points per game average after yielding a team record of 38.7 last year. The Devils have dominated the series with the Pirates winning the last 12 of 14 games. Of the 33 games played in the series, the Devil defense has only given up 10 or more points in 9 games. The Coffeeville offense has been shut-out 14 times against WV. This will be only the fourth time the Devils have faced a Class 1A opponent. The Pirates finished the 2007 season with a two-game winning streak. Both teams are former members of the Tri-Lake Conference.