Water Valley Vs. Independence
By Bobby Murphree
• WHEN, WHERE: Friday, 7:30pm IHS Stadium
• RECORDS: WV 1-1 Independence 1-1
• SERIES: WV leads 16-12-1
• FIRST MEETING: 1968 Independence won 19-7
• LAST MEETING: 2007 Independence won 53-12
• LAST WEEK: WV lost to Holly Springs 31-0, Independence lost to Southaven 35-15
• TV: Cable Channel 57 (Delay) starting 11:am Saturday thru Sunday
• RADIO: WTMN 105.5 mhz. 7:30 pm
• TEAM COMPARISONS: WV averages 10.0 offense, and gives up 21.5 on defense. Independence averages 30.5 offense and gives up 17.5 on defense.
• NOTABLES: This was the Hawks third consecutive victory over the Devils, the first since 1974. WV hasn’t given up 31 points to Holly Springs since 1954 and the 31 points also represents the largest margin of victory for the Hawks since a 38-6 win in 1950. The 53 points Independence scored on the Devils last year is the third most points the WV defense has given up in a game since 1942. The Wildcat win last year was the first over the Devils since 1993. Both teams were former members of the old Tri-Lake Conference and Division 3-3A.
• DIRECTIONS: Take Hwy 315N to Hwy 6 W, go 8 miles and exit onto I-55 north , go 28 miles to Exit 271, turn right onto Hwy 306 East , drive 9 miles to Hwy 305, turn right and travel approx. 3-5 miles, stadium will be on the left.