Water Valley Vs. Leland
By Bobby Murphree
• WHEN, WHERE: Friday, 7:00pm Leland HS Field
• RECORDS: WV 5-5 (2-3) Leland 8-2 (5-0)
• SERIES: WV leads 3-1-0
• FIRST MEETING: 1993 WV won 27-0
• LAST MEETING: 2002 WV won 7-0
• LAST WEEK: WV lost to Ackerman 28-14, Leland beat Tchula-Marshall 51-0
• TV: Cable Channel 57 (Delay) starting 11:am Saturday thru Sunday
• RADIO: WTMN 105.5 mhz. 7:00 pm
• TEAM COMPARISONS: WV averages 19.6 on offense, and gives up 22.0 on defense. Leland averages 30.0 on offense and gives up 17.3 on defense.
• NOTABLES: With the loss to Ackerman, the Devils finish 2-3 in district, enough to earn a fourth place finish and a trip to the play-offs. This may be the last trip to the Class 2A play-offs for a long while. The MHSAA will move to a six classification format next year, allowing the Devils to move up to Class 3A. WV is currently the largest Class 2A school in the state.
• PLAY-OFF NOTES: This will be the second trip to Leland to play the Cubs in post season play. The last play-off meeting was a 7-0 win for the Devils in 2002. The first meeting was in 1994. WV’s overall play-off record is 13-14. The last win was a 31-7 victory over Belmont in 2003. The Class 2A play-off record is 3-6. The Blue Devils are 8-8 in away games. The winner will take on the winner of the Walnut-West Tallahatchie game in the 2nd round of the Class 2A play-offs.
• DIRECTIONS: Take Hwy 7 South , then exit onto I-55 and go 4 miles and turn right onto Hwy7/8, continue 30 miles on Hwy 7 thru Holcomb to Greenwood. Turn right on U.S. Hwy 82 and go 45 miles to Leland. Stadium is on Hwy 82 across from Dollar General Store.