Downtown Events Make Christmas Merry
By Susan Hart
Christmas in the Valley continues with a full schedule of events the first weekend of December. Make plans (and your Christmas list) to stay home for the holidays in Downtown Water Valley.
Thursday, Dec. 4
• At 6 p.m. the tree lighting ceremony will be held at the Railroad Park Pavilion. The event is sponsored by Water Valley Town and Country Garden Club and Water Valley Area Chamber of Commerce. Renasant Bank will serve fresh popcorn to enjoy with hot cocoa, compliments of the Chamber of Commerce.
• Until 8 p.m. get the movie star treatment as businesses stay open extended shopping hours for you. WVMSA is giving away complimentary shopping bags for your purchases. You can pick one up at any of the participating shops during the extended shopping hours. Bring the bags with you throughout the season when you shop local for the holidays.
• From 6-8 p.m. free gift wrapping will be offered by the Junior Auxiliary of Water Valley (JA) at Hair Trendz, 209 Main Street, for gifts purchased during this special event.
• Pictures of good little boys and girls with Santa will be taken at the WVMSA office, 207 Main St. by Valley Photo. There will be several photo packages available for purchase, and ready for pick up Monday, Dec. 8, from 9 a.m. until 5 p.m. at Valley Photo, 609 Wise Street.
• Imagination Station and WVMSA have teamed up with JA in a fundraiser for their Project Santa. The art students, taught by Anissa Wilkinson, have been busy elves creating Santa tree ornaments for the WVMSA tree. On Thursday evening, the public is invited to come by and purchase a Santa off the tree. All proceeds will go to Project Santa, an annual JA program providing families with a Merry Christmas. Junior Auxiliary has made the commitment to shop locally when buying for Project Santa.
Friday, Dec. 5
• 6-9 p.m. an opening reception will be held for the Holiday Miniature Art Show Inaugural Exhibition, presented by Bozarts, 403 Main Street. The holiday miniature show features the diversity of arts in areas including painting, pottery, glass arts, jewelry, photography, print making, wood and metal work and other artistic expressions. Twenty-two artists will showcase their talent in miniature work in all media. A great venue for holiday shopping! This exhibit will continue to show until December 20.
Saturday, Dec. 6
8 a.m.-noon the Farmers Market Off Season will be at the WVMSA office, 207 Main Street. Homemade goodies, edible and not, will be available.
1 p.m. the Christmas Parade, “Christmas in the Valley,” on Main St. sponsored by the Tri-Lake Fairground Association.
2:30 p.m. How the Grinch Stole Christmas, a free movie, sponsored by Mechanics Bank, Turnage Drug Store, and WVMSA, will show in the old Wagner building at the corner of Main Street and Wagner. Concessions will be sold.
Water Valley during Christmastime…Simply Charming.