Holiday Gifts From Your Kitchen
By Pamela Redwine
Food gifts are appropriate for just about everyone. Homemade gifts can save time; energy and money as well as proving that personal touch. Food gifts can be tasty and nutritious at the same time. A healthy gift from home is always welcomed.
• Consider giving the food item in a container that can be used again or add a small gift that will promote healthy eating or an active lifestyle throughout the year.
• Make a no-salt seasoning blend and combine it with a heart –healthy cookbook.
• Fill a salad spinner with a bottle of low-fat salad dressing. Make your own dressing and share the recipe or add a bottle or two of your favorite purchased dressings. Add a bag of spiced nuts, dried cranberries or a can of mandarin oranges to dress-up their salad.
• Make Pumpkin Spice Bread or Cranberry Bread. Wrap with a cutting board and a decorative knife and tie with a bow.
• Combine dry beans, lentils or split peas along with spices and herbs for a hearty vegetarian soup mix. Don’t forget to share the soup recipe. A soup mug or small bag of low-fat crackers could be added.
Food Gift Ideas and Recipes
Lentil and Split Pea Soup Mix
•1 tsp garlic powder • 2 tsp dried minced onion
•1 tablespoon dried minced parsley • 1/2 tsp dried thyme
•1/2 cup red or brown lentils •1/2 cup yellow or green split peas
Combine all ingredients into an airtight container, a freezer zip-top bag or layer into a 12” decorator cone for a festive appearance. To make soup; combine mix with 4 cups water, cover and simmer on low heat for 45 minutes or until lentils are tender. Stir occasionally to keep from sticking. To freshen the soup add a squirt of lemon juice or a dash of balsamic vinegar just before serving.
•1 egg white • 1 tsp water • 1/2 tsp vanilla • 12 packets Splenda
• 1 tsp cinnamon • 4 cups pecan halves
Preheat oven to 225º degrees. Beat egg whites, water and vanilla until foamy. Add the Splenda and cinnamon. Stir the pecans into the egg white mixture to coat. Spread pecans in a single layer on a baking sheet coated with a no fat cooking spray. Bake for 1 hour, stirring three times. Allow cooling completely on the baking sheet. Store in an airtight container.
No Salt Seasoning Blend
• 6 Tblsp dried oregano • 6 Tblsp onion powder
• 3 Tblsp dried basil • 2 Tblsp dried marjoram
• 2 Tblsp garlic powder • 1 Tblsp dried thyme
• 1 1/2 tsp black pepper
Combine all ingredients. Store in a tightly closed container or shaker. Use in salads, salad dressing, soups or for chicken, fish or vegetables.
A word of caution: Always keep food safety in mind! Remember to include a note on storage of the food item. Use non-perishable items when filling gift baskets or boxes that will be kept un-refrigerated. If you include foods that need to be refrigerated, be sure to put a note on the outside of the package.
Article source: Communicating Food for Health