Skip to content


Lots Of Youngsters Populated Boyd Street Community

By Charles Cooper

Hello everyone. hope you’re having a good week.  As I’m doing this column I’m looking outside at the snow coming down.  Just think, a few days ago it was over seventy degrees and the sun was shining.  

I’ve been getting some feedback about the columns on Boyd Street and as promised, I’m going to tell about the teens and kids that made up the Boyd Street community.  Beginning with the Walter Beck family, there was Louella, Ida Mae, W.F. and Billy.  I’m doing this without Jim Peacock’s list. So if I fail to mention you, I’ll do it in a future column. Down the street was Margaret, Irene, and Raymond Bruner.  Then Jim and Gay Peacock. Across the street, Juanita and Hazel Champion.  Down the street, Georgia Hughes with three small children.  I was next, and behind me was Charles, Noel Lee, and Boots Bell.  Then across the street, Richard and Terry Allen.  Across the street from them. Pat, Sylvia, and Michael Crews.  Down the street, Buddy, Olivia, Aubra, and Opal Palmer.  

I mentioned Georgia Hughes who was the daughter of Gibb Harmon who had died before we had moved next door.  Her husband, Millard Hughes, was a fine young man and although he was much older than me, we were friends.  He had the misfortune of contacting TB and also had died before we moved there.  Georgia was dating Roy Lee House who was a good guy but known to be a fast and reckless driver.  He had a V8 Ford and he knew how to get the most speed out of it.  

The whole neighborhood was afraid that Georgia would get killed riding with him but they both survived without an accident and she eventually broke up with him and married Warren Gean of Oxford. Georgia played a pretty good flags top guitar and since this was before I switched to steel guitar, I learned some good riffs from her.  She was good enough to have played in a band but she didn’t seem to be inclined that way.  

We had Mr. Joe Goar coming around in his buggy selling Watkins Products and Earl Frazier with Standard Coffee.  It was about this time that I became friends with Dude Morris.  His Dad was a regular visitor of Nannies and Papa and through him I got to know Dude.

Even then he was know to be one of the best truck drivers in the area.  I saw an example of his skill when he was hauling logs for Cornish Crews’ sawmill.  He was getting paid by the load and he would come down the hill at top speed, go to the  sawmill deliver his load and go back for another.  Buddy Palmer was his helper and he told me how many loads they delivered in one day.  I’ve forgotten the number, but it was astounding.

I think Dude was a natural driver and he drove for many years and was recognized as a true professional. It was easy to see why in his younger day they called him Dude.  When he was off work he never appeared in public unless he wore a dress shirt and slacks and his shoes shined to perfection.  I’ve even seen him washing his truck on his off day which showed pride in his work.  

My stepfather, Jesse Lawson, was a good friend of his so it was only natural that I asked him to be a pallbearer at Jesse’s funeral and he gladly accepted.  I’m proud to have known him and be his friend.  Let me hear from you at my email address or write me at P.O. Box 613189 Memphis, Tn 38101 and have a great week.

Leave a Comment