Skip to content

Betty’s Week

By Betty Shearer   

We’ve had several notes included with subscription payments over the past few weeks that will be of interest to many in the Valley.

    From Lawrence Pass of Reno, Nevada, comes:

    “Betty, Here’s my check for $30 for another year of the Herald. I enjoy reading it and it arrives in a matter of three to four days. Received the June 11th issued today, June 13 (two days—not bad). This Reno weather is crazy. Had snow at the 8,000 feet level last week. We are still running the heater.”

    Thanks for writing, Lawrence, and we’re so happy to hear of the excellent delivery schedule.

    Another is from Sonny and Mary Inman Millstead of Arkansas and Picayune. “Hi Betty, We see you have been very busy! Do you every rest? We really enjoy your column and all your travels and the good food you and Jimmie enjoy, as well as the meals you all fix at your Mom’s! We are enjoying our little backyard garden (the rabbits are, too). We have squash, butterbeans, pole beans, cucumbers, bell and hot peppers and lots of tomatoes, eggplants (potatoes are already gone), but it’s plenty for us. Looking forward to our paper!”

    It’s always good to hear from Mary and Sonny—thanks for writing.

    Next note comes from long-time friend, Lewis Oswalt. “Betty, After some 30 years we have decided not to renew our subscription. We still treasure our all-too-brief time in Water Valley and have enjoyed the paper. You wrote last week about being old—if Jim is 45. I certainly qualify!”

    It doesn’t seem possible that the Oswalts have been 30 year subscribers. However, Lewis and First Baptist Church did include Jim in some of their outings while Jim was still a teenager.

    From Mary and Bill Lee in Pleasanton, California comes, “We continue to receive the Herald on Friday or Saturday after you publish on Thursday! The wagon train has finally been replaced by the jet!. We enjoy the paper very much.”

    Again, we appreciate updates on delivery of the paper to far-off places. It’s always great to hear from Mary and Bill—Thanks for writing!

    Charlotte Boggs Rea of Georgia writes: “I always enjoy the Herald. It makes me a little homesick at times. Mail service has been good—within a week—mostly. I have a new great-granddaughter, born April 3rd, in Baton Roughe. Her name is Laney Elisabeth Plaisance.” Again, thanks for the update on delivery of the paper—it was good to hear from you Mrs. Rea.


Try this remedy for Poison Ivy

  Gather a handful of azalea leaves (the large ones), put them in a boiler with water and boil, boil, boil, until the water turns dark (color of weak tea). Pour the liquid off and rinse the leaves. Rub a leaf vigorously on the affected area, wiping away the water from the broken blisters. Don’t allow “juice” to transfer to other areas. Rotate to new leaves every minute or so. Do this for about five minutes. Expect immediate relief, with “cure” by the next day. “Let me know how it turns out,” says Bobby Suratt, who shared this with me.


  Friday I stayed home, cleaned, washed, etc. Was a very emotional day, as it was Ed’s and my 51 Anniversary. Thought the 50th would have been the bad one, but not so. Could have been, except last year, I worked all day, everyone called, came by, then took me out to dinner and stayed until bedtime—made sure I was not alone. This year  it was me and memories—and they are wonderful, but lonely.

  This morning (Tuesday), I remember that it was 51 years ago that I began my tenure with the Herald. These have been great years and I’ve loved all of them—even the bad ones. Was in Michael Redwine’s shop this morning and he, Cathy Hunt Ward, and I were reminiscing. Ludie, Ed, Mr. Watson and so many others who’ve passed through our lives, as we have been a Main Street Family, were remembered.

  Yesterday I enjoyed visits with Shelia (don’t think I ever knew her maiden name) Holloway and (don’t know her current name) but she was Johnny’s wife (mother of the twins). Could not believe that they are now 19 years old—I remember them as babies in their little carriers in the shop on S. Main. They were so cute and I’m sure they are now beautiful young women, since their mother is still a beauty. It was so good to visit with her and remember fondly Jerry and Pat—we both have some great memories of these two.

  Then Bobby Suratt came by, and when get together we drag up stories from all of my years in the Valley—Bobby was just a little boy, but he was a Main Street Kid (the first I knew) and he heard (and remembers) everything. Either that are he’s making it up. When we tell our stories we both add Ludie’s disclaimer—”At least that’s the way I remember it”. Bobby and I  have an advantage, in that we’ve outlived most of the early Main Streeters, so if Snooky and Mary Lou, Mr. Trusty and Mr. and Mrs. Parker are not present, there’s no one to question our tall tales.


  Arriving at Mom’s on Saturday, Jimmie says, “Well what did you do yesterday?” Told her I stayed home and had a pity party. She then remembered why and quickly quipped, “If you just come on over to my house I’d have joined you, only I had a hate Ed party.” She’d polished silver all day, getting ready for Misty’s wedding, coming up this Saturday. Ed did all the silver polishing—hers, ours, and anyone else that needed it—he was good at it. We had a great laugh and again all was right with the world.

  Ours was a normal weekend—cleaning, cooking, and eating. Did have Rance and Ginny missing (they were in Tennessee) and it is much quieter when Rance is not present.

  On Sunday, we at Woodland Hills had a tremendous worship experience. Youth Director Chris Wilkinson, an excellent speaker, brought a most timely Fathers’ Day message. Melinda Hill Turner, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Edwin Earl Hill, presented the special music. She has a tremendous voice and the song was just beautiful.


 In remembering the Main Street Family, we were sadden by the loss another wonderful member last week. Mrs. Mary Dickey, long-time friend, was a clerk in Parker’s Ben Franklin for many years and then in T-W-L until her retirement. She was such a gracious lady—always  wore that beautiful smile.  I not only knew Mrs. Dickey on Main Street, but also in her home. Her oldest daughter, Karen, and Jimmie were good friends while they were students at Northwest. Jimmie would visit in the Dickey home and sometimes Karen would visit at our house—she was probably one of the NW gang that helped when Jim was born. Have also known Janet, Allen, Phillip and his wife, Kathy, since they were very young. Their father, the late Vista Dickey, was also a Main Streeter—worked next door at Blu-Bucks. Love all the Dickeys and extend sympathy to the family—she will be missed.


  This weekend we’ll get through the wedding and then next it’s on to the July 4th Holiday. Plan to spend the Fourth in Jackson at the Ag Museum with Mary Sue and Bennett Anderson and T. J. Ray. Both of these events will be very enjoyable, but hot, hot, hot.

Leave a Comment