Skip to content

Betty’s Week

By Betty Shearer

    With Pastor Ken Izzard, his wife, Shelley, and about a fourth of our Woodland Hills congregation on a cruise to Cosumel, Mexico, last week, I was left in charge of prayer meeting. We had a good number present, considering, and I was appreciative of their support.

    However, I made sure they were aware they were not getting the quality teaching that Bro. Ken delivers each week. Betty Hill says, “Well, maybe we’ll take up a collection and send you to seminary, so you’ll be prepared when you need to fill in.”

    At the conclusion of my devotional, which ran long, Betty says, “Take back that offer to educate you.”

    I replied, “Was I so good I don’t need to go to school, or was I so bad that it’s hopeless?”

    She just smiled—think it must have been the latter. I do feel honored that Bro. Ken trusted me enough to entrust this privilege to me and I certainly thank those who came and listened.

  Bro. Ken says that Shelley’s parents were very complimentary of the Herald. They came to stay with Amanda and Amber last week and while here read the paper. Bro. Ken says that they were amazed at the news in our little weekly paper, stating that it had more news than their paper had during the entire week. We do appreciate compliments.


  Thursday night I went over to play bridge—first time in a couple of months. Had really missed all the great fellowship, good food, and even playing bridge. As usual, I got very poor cards, but was not the low scorer. Jimmie received that honor. Our hostess, Connie Hawkins, fed us a delicious salad plate. Connie had beautiful new plates, which were about a foot square.

    Taking some (too much) of each dish, your plate still looked empty, but after eating this sparse looking meal you were stuffed. We all told her to go back to smaller plates. I skipped dessert entirely—was just to full. It was good, though. Her husband, Ham, is a mess. When we drove up, he poked his head out the shop door and says, “Just checking on which old biddies I’m having to put up with tonight.”     


  Bo, who is suffering with macular degeneration, was scheduled for an eye examination and treatment on Friday morning.  With no pressing needs at the office, I rode to Memphis with Jimmie, his chauffeur, and Bo. His appointment was for 10:20. We arrived about 10, and he and Jimmie warned me that he might get called by noon.

    At exactly 10:20 he was called back. He returned to the waiting room just  a few minutes later. Jimmie then said we could expect to wait about an hour and they’ll call him again. In just a few minutes he was again called. Again he came back with us after only a short time and Jimmie said, “Now we’ll wait an hour or so.”         However, in short order Bo was back in for his eye to be dilated. He was with us the few minutes it takes for this and then went for the x-rays, etc. Back he came to wait for the results of this—only took a short time before he was called back to see what the check up revealed and was given the shot. His report was excellent and he does not have to go back for two months this time. We were out before noon.

    Prior to this, the same procedure had taken all day—with them usually leaving between four and five in the afternoon.

    A meal followed after the trip to the doctor even though Jimmie explained that Bo usually is in pain, so they just go straight home. He said, “No I feel fine and I’m hungry.”

    We stopped at Logans, ate a bucket of peanuts, a lot of rolls and butter, and then our food—we were stuffed. I’d only consumed about half my meal, so I got a to-go box and a baggie for the two rolls left. When we were leaving, Bo says, “We should have asked for a bag so we could take the rest of the peanuts. He didn’t know our waitress was right behind us,  and was startled when she says, “I’ll get you one.” We had to assure her we were only joking.

  It was a pleasant day, except for a horrible wreck on I-55 on the way up. An 18-wheeler had crashed and burned almost completely. It happened in the south bound lane, just south of Sardis, and traffic was being turned around and sent back to Sardis where it was diverted to Highway 51 in order to by-pass the accident. We were not slowed up very much, since the north-bound outer lane was moving at almost normal speed.

  On the way back, some five hours later, the wreckage had still not been cleared. Traffic was not being detoured in Sardis, so we got into the slow-moving traffic, then illegally crossed the median heading back about three miles to the Sardis exit, where we picked up Hwy. 51 for the rest of our trip home. We could have gotten back on the Interstate at Batesville, but it was probably faster for us to get to Courtland by continuing straight down 51.

  In Pope we met Brother Terry and Niece Nita, who had been to Jimmie’s. We had a side-of-the-road visit and then they continued to Oxford where they were to attend the Pearson reunion over the weekend.


  Mom and I were alone on Saturday, so we ate what we like. Most of the family was attending the funeral of long-time friend, Bob Bogan. Bob was a delightful person, who will be missed by all of us. He worked in the advertising department of the Panolian at the time of his death. Ed and I first knew him when he edited a shopper, and his print schedule at the Eagle was right in front of us. We got to visit each week. Then the Bogan daughters were in United Voices of Praise Youth Choir and our friendship continued. One of them was the same age as our niece, Madison.

    Bob and Brother Don had also coached little league together and the Bogans were members of Pope Baptist Church, so I got to know his wife, Teresa, as I was sometimes with Jimmie at some of their social gatherings. I’ll miss Bob’s cheerful phone greetings, which I’ve enjoyed several times a week for the past few years, in conjunction with his Panolian employment. My sympathy is extended to the family.


  An article in the Slidell Picayune recently tells of two painters who are offering classes. Valley native Don Edwards is one of the duo and the other is Richard Ray. Don is a watercolorist and Ray works primarily in oil. This will be their second class.

    Don reported, “We learned a lot from our last class, about what people enjoyed and needed and what they didn’t like, so we have revamped this one to offer practical and artistic insight to portrait drawing and painting based on the experience gained in the last class we taught.”

    Ray says Don is the curriculum maker. Don began dabbling in art after his bypass surgery in 2000. He read a book, Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain, by Betty Edwards to amuse himself while he recovered and found his way to drawing, painting and eventually to his current love—watercolor.

    Don is a member of the WVHS Class of 1956. During the 50th year reunion of this class I saw some of Don’s work and it is excellent. Congratulations on your new venture Don—teaching. Wish you were close enough for me to take lessons.


  Just enjoyed a call from long-time subscriber, T. Hunt Armistead, of Fort Worth, Texas. He called to inform me that there was yet another September happening. Mr. Hunt says that our Tillatoba columnist Patcie Deck told of some of the good things that come in September and he wanted to add his, which was: “My father was exceptionally pleased in September because Mother gave him a lovely Christmas present and I’m the result.”  

    Told him that I guess my father also got a Christmas present because my birthday is September 24th. Mr. Hunt’s is the 28th. We extended early birthday wishes to each other. It’s always good to hear from him—he can really brighten up my day.

Leave a Comment