Skip to content

Betty’s Week

By Betty Shearer

 Mary Sue Stevens was in last week to tell us that the Water Valley Chamber of Commerce only has a few of the 2009 Carnival Programs left. This edition has the Fords Well information in it. Programs may be picked up at the Chamber Office and we still have three on our counter.         They cost $5 each, and can also be mailed for $10 each. To order a program write the Chamber of Commerce, P. O. Box 726, Water Valley, MS 38965. Be sure to include your name and mailing address. You may also call the CofC at (662) 473-1122 to place an order.


  Promised a report on our trip to the TBZH Print Shop at the Ag Museum. That report will not be forthcoming, as we cancelled. T. J. had a medical appointment and could not go, so the rest of us voted to wait until he could go with us. It’s no fun at the print shop without T. J. to harass. Am happy to report that all his tests went well and hopefully he’d going to be good as new.

  Had hoped to have a combined birthday celebration for T. J. (Sept. 19, 71 years), Bennett (Oct., 73 years) and me (Sept. 24, 72 years), complete with birthday cake. Guess we’ll all have to celebrate with Jimmie (Nov. 5, 65 years) in November, when we’re there for Harvest Fest. We’ll just stick  candles on brownies. Think Mary Sue’s is sometime in the summer, so she can celebrate with us.


  Robert Montgomery stopped by the office Wednesday afternoon to tell me of his impending rotator cuff surgery. While we were talking, Don Henderson, one of Robert’s golfing buddies, stuck his head in to kid him about visiting to get his name in the column.

    Told Don it wasn’t going to happen, since Robert had come empty-handed (he usually brings something good to eat). Well as these two were jawing, Butch Chittom of Brandon came by to pay his bill. We all had a great visit—have known these three since I arrived in the Valley—they were teenagers.


  I’ve got my soap box out this week and the subject is motorist who break the law. Going to Oxford last Tuesday, I was speeding slightly, and a small vehicle passed me like I was sitting still. It was misting rain and the roads were very dangerous. Then on Saturday, as I was going to Moms, I was passed by several vehicles going up hills and around curves. Again I was traveling at the posted speed limit, or slightly above, and the roads were wet. This morning when I was waiting to cross Main Street in front of the Post Office, I watched two vehicles run the red light at Main and Martin Streets. It turned red long before the first car went under and the second just followed. I’m amazed that we do not have more accidents than we do.


  Friday I got up early to attend to some chores before the rains came. It was sunny and nice, but very warm. At Valley Lumber I found some of my favorite folks, among whom was Billy Warren. He had a ground hog, which his son, Lynn, had done the taxidermy work on. It was excellent—seemed just like the critter was sitting there looking at you. I’ve never seen a live ground hog, but Billy says we have a lot in our area. They are very shy animals, though. I had seen the picture Jack made of the one Mike Williamson had earlier in the year.

  With Larry’s help, I found my needed supplies and it was off to complete my task. Before going back home though I had to stop by Sartain’s and then Larson’s, to pick up what I needed to cook for Sunday’s Rodeo Round-Up at Woodland Hills. Got home, unloaded the car, and was about to start cooking, when I noticed it was getting very dark.

    You don’t want a cheesecake, brownies or cakes in the oven when the electricity goes off—makes a big mess. So I put clothes in the washer, put away lots of stuff, ran the vacuum, and did a bit of dusting. Sky lightened up, so I decided to try cooking again. By the time I got out the mixing bowl, mixer and my ingredients, it was black again. Turned on the TV to see what the weather prediction was for the rest of the day. Didn’t look promising, so I watched Bonaza, I Love Lucy, The Beverly Hillbillies, and other ancient shows.

  Finally the storms went away, and I got the cheesecake and brownies cooked. Did the cakes on Saturday night.

  Ruth Anthony and I manned the Boot (close-pin) Drop during the Round-Up and we usually just give the children candy as their prizes. This year though, they lucked out (or as I believe the Lord provided) some great prizes. I had gone into Dollar General for an item, which I was unable to find, but as I was exiting the store, I spied a 90 percent off sale table.

    It had about 30 cute little toys,  sun visors, lawn water toys, and more. Ruth had balls, fake glasses, with noses and eyebrows, thumb puppets, Chinese torture bands, etc. I cleaned out my jewelry box and the girls loved my old necklaces.

  Sunday School attendance was 88 and for worship we had about 125—very good for such a bad weather day. Door prizes were great and most everyone received one. Hot dogs were delicious, as were the desserts. Also enjoyed was pop corn and cotton candy.   

    One of the favorite events was the dunking booth. Bro. Ken was first up and after a while hit the cold water. He went in, changed to dry clothes and was back on the scene, just as Youth Director Chris Wilkerson was up. Bro. Ken had a glass of ice, which he added to the already icy water. I told him he was cruel.

    Another hot event was Sammy Anthony’s horse ride. The children came by and bobbed for apples, which they took over to feed Sammy’s horses. He said he was sure the horses were going to have apple colic Sunday night. When Sammy entered the choir that morning I noticed his belt buckle. I also had a belt buckle. Told him mine was bigger—but he came back with, mine’s older. Come to find out they were about the same age—I was wearing youngest nephew, Michael Cole’s buckle, which he won for a 13-and-under event, while participating in the old Tri-Lake Horse Club. Sammy’s was won about the same time.

  I wore my black Wranglers, a western shirt, Michael’s belt, and had Bill’s hat, but did not put on the boots this year. Last year, I almost didn’t get them off. Wore my comfortable tennis shoes—Jimmie said I was a red-neck cowboy.

  We did have a great day at Woodland Hills, even though the weather was a bit damp and cool


  While waiting for the weather forecast this morning, I caught a couple of short news segments, which boggle my mind.

  A 72-year-old great-grandmother and former school teacher was stopped for speeding (60 mph in a 45 mph construction zone). They had a video of her and the county deputy who attempted to apprehend her.  

    She refused to sign the speeding ticket, didn’t want to get out of the vehicle, then pushed and bad-mouthed the officer. He finally has to use his taser on her. She sued and the county has awarded her $40,000 dollars of the county’s money (citizens’ taxes), stating that it will cost much more than this if they go to court.

    She denied the charges until she was shown the video, and then her defense was that she rarely lost her temper. To make matters worse she didn’t see any thing wrong with taking the money and certainly didn’t want to apologize to the officer. Now officers you may catch this 72-year-old speeding, if you do stop me (you may save me from a worse fate). I assure you I will be appreciative and I’ll pay my fine. I do appreciate all of you (city, county and state).

Leave a Comment