Water Valley vs. South Pontotoc
By Bobby Murphree
• WHEN, WHERE: Friday, 7 p.m. SPHS Field
• RECORDS: WV 3-4 (1-1) South Pontotoc 3-5 (0-2)
• SERIES: WV leads 3-2-0
• FIRST MEETING: 1977 WV won 28-6
• LAST MEETING: 1984 South Pontotoc won 7-0
• LAST WEEK: Water Valley lost to Aberdeen 42-13, South Pontotoc lost to Nettleton 34-12
• TV: Cable Channel 57 (Delay) starting 11:am Saturday thru Sunday
• RADIO: WTMN 105.5 mhz. 7 p.m.
• TEAM COMPARISONS: WV averages 17.2 on offense, and gives up 16.1 on defense. South Pontotoc averages 19.6 on offenses and gives up 27.8 on defense.
• NOTABLES: With the region loss to Aberdeen, the Devils still can finish in second place in 2-3A. Water Valley must win all three of the remaining games to be assured of taking the runner-up spot. Water Valley and South Pontotoc were members of Division 2A from 1982-83 and 2-3A in 1984. The Cougars have advanced to the MHSAA play-offs only six times since 1981.
• DIRECTIONS: Take Hwy 315 East to Hwy 9W, turn right and go 8 miles to Banner, then exit onto CR195, travel 2.5 miles, turn left onto Hwy 9. Go 18 miles. Make a right at CR195 (South Pontotoc Road), travel 1.5 miles, the school and field are together.