Water Valley Vs. M.S. Palmer
By Bobby Murphree
• WHEN, WHERE: Friday, 7 p.m. Bobby Clark Field
• RECORDS: Water Valley 6-4 (4-1) M.S. Palmer 6-3 (3-2)
• SERIES: Water Valley leads 10-1-0
• FIRST MEETING: 1960 Water Valley won 25-13
• LAST MEETING: 2006 Water Valley won 27-14
• LAST WEEK: Water Valley beat Mooreville 31-0, M.S. Palmer beat Holly Springs 24-8
• TV: None
• RADIO: WTMN 105.5 mhz. 7 p.m.
•TEAM COMPARISONS: Water Valley averages 21.1 on offense, and gives up 15.2 on defense. M. S. Palmer averages 18.2 on offenses and gives up 14.4 on defense.
• NOTABLES: With the win over Mooreville, Water Valley has assured itself of a winning season. The Devils wrap up the 2009 regular season with a three game winning streak, the longest to close out a season since 2002. The Red Dragons have been blanked in their last 3 games and are riding a four game losing skid. M.S. Palmer has been known as Marks High and Quitman County High Schools. Palmer tied a school record of six wins this year.
• PLAY-OFF NOTES: The Devils have lost the last five play-off games, dating back to 2004. The last play-off victory came in 2003, when Water Valley defeated Belmont 31-7. The Blue Devils overall play-off record is 13-15. WV is 5-6 at home in the play-offs. During the 2000’s Water Valley has missed the play-offs only once in 2007. This is the fourth appearance for the Red Dragons in the play-offs. Palmer is 0-3 in post season play. The last time the Mark’s school made to the play-offs was in 2002. The winner of this game would play the winner of the Belmont-South Delta game.