Skip to content

Betty’s Week

By Betty Shearer

    Jimmy came at noon last Wednesday and we went to ElCharrito’s for lunch. She likes Mexican food, as do I, and rarely gets to eat it unless she is here for a meal. Bill has trouble eating the spicy dishes. We both ate way to much and as we were leaving, as usual, were asked if we’d enjoyed our meal. Both of us replied, “Yes, and way to much of it.”  Our waiter came back with, “But I’m sure you’ll eat even more tomorrow.”  We both vowed, “No way!” and I don’t think we did. Our Mexican restaurant is the best and I always enjoy eating there.

  After our meal we walked over to The Velvet Glove, one of our favorite little shops. As we kept gathering up great stuff—Jimmie asked, “Do you have any money? I left my purse at the office.”

    I says, “No, but Candi knows who I am and I’m sure she’ll wait until I go to the office for my checkbook.” Candi was ringing up and boxing our goodies and ask “Where is your vehicle?”  That’s when we realized we not only needed a checkbook, we also needed wheels. After we finished our shopping (we thought) we walked back up the street—window shopping as we went—to get the van and money. Got back, paid for what we’d purchased and then Jimmie spied a scarf she wanted. This set off another round of looking and we wound up with some more great gifts—had to write another check.         Jimmie told Candi that she needed a much larger shop, so she could spread her merchandise out—she was afraid she’d missed something she wanted. I said, “No way, if she could see it all I don’t think I could afford to pay the bill!” The Velvet Glove does have some very pretty and useful items.


  After all this fun we went to my house to get in the plants before the freeze came. All my pot plants are in concrete planters, which are heavy even when not filled with dirt and plants. We moved about half-dozen in and our backs and legs are still sore.

    We also, finally, moved the beautiful table in that was rescued just before the September, 2001 Copperhead fire. I’d bought this table several weeks before the fire and on Saturday, before the fire on Tuesday, Mary called to see if they could deliver it. Told them just to take it out and put it in the side yard—here it has remained for all those years.         Michael Redwine, each time he came to the house, would say, “I’m going to steal that table if you don’t take care of it.” Well, he had his chance—no way he’s getting it now that we’ve broken our backs taking it inside. Plants do look good displayed on it and if we every need to eat out in the sunroom we can always throw the plant in the floor and wipe it off—it should hold food equally well.

  Jimmie brought two of my big ferns from her house. Now, you know her hill is known for its snakes. I said, “You did make sure you brought none of your pets with you?” She’s as afraid of snakes as I am and the ferns had to ride inside the Suburban with her, so I knew they had been checked very carefully. So far I’ve not seen any critters in the sunroom, so guess we did a good job of eradication.

  I did, however, have a tiny little lizard in the den on Friday. Guess he came in  to escape that very cold weather we had. Think I finally found where the little critters are entering. Apparently during installation of one of the new den windows, a piece of weather stripping was damaged. In yet another search for a place the lizards could come in, I found just about an inch where there was a little light. I packed it with paper towels and, hopefully, I’ve locked the lizards outside. Thankfully it is the window that has to be replaced, so maybe when the job is done, we’ll get the hole repaired.


  Attendance for the Community Thanksgiving Service Wednesday night was tremendous. Music by Adonia, under the direction of Rev. Roger Howell and his wife, Dona, was excellent. Rev. Keith Davis, pastor of Springdale Family Worship Center, brought a very timely message and he is a wonderful preacher. Others on the program were Host Pastor Harold Spraberry of First Presbyterian Church, Rev. Ken Izzard, pastor of Woodland Hills Baptist Church, Rev. Raymond Aven, Director of Compassion Ministries, and Rev. James Edwards, pastor of Bethel, and as always, these men very capably filled their positions. I always look forward to this service.

    I sat on the pew with Bobby Suratt, Dessie Caulfield, and Julia Fernandez and enjoyed visiting with them prior to the service. This was a most enjoyable worship experience—really put me in the Thanksgiving spirit.


  Early Thursday morning I took my dessert down to the White Star Kitchen, where Compassion Ministries Thanksgiving meal was to be served. I finally found the door to the kitchen open and inside was owner, John Tatum, and Larry Smith. Visited with them for a short time, learned that they’d cooked most of the night. John reported that he’d even had him mother, Carol Tatum of Cleveland, over helping. That’s what moms are for. I couldn’t stay and help serve, because my Mom needed me. Ed and I always enjoyed helping with the serving at these dinners—well he actually made pictures and I served.


  Our crowd was very slim at Mom’s dinner table this Thanksgiving. Only Ginny, Rance, and I were with her. We had enough food for an army and we’ve been eating it every since—I’m glad it was all good.

  The only thing I’ve cooked since Thanksgiving Day is some cornbread and a big pot of vegetable soup.


  Friday was spent cleaning house a little. Then on Saturday it was back to Mom’s to visit with her, since Jimmie had to clean her house and put up decorations (I’m hosting Bridge at her home this Thursday) and the boys were on the deer stands.         The day was absolutely gorgeous, weatherwise.  On Sunday we had rain and more rain. I almost didn’t go back to Moms, because it was raining so hard when I arrived home from church that I had to sit in the van for several minutes—you could not see out the windshield, it was just a wall of water. Finally got inside and into my jeans and remembered that Jimmie had choir practice following church, so I braved the weather and went on.

    Bo had brought Mom a spaghetti plate for lunch and I warmed up some more leftovers. Headed home, I found heavy fog. We have had a cross-section of weather over the past week. Almost killed a deer coming home Sunday afternoon—saw several each time I crossed the Pope/Water Valley Road this weekend. Hunters are reporting not seeing the game, so guess they’re all coming my way. I had one in the driveway this morning (Tuesday).

  Back at work yesterday, we all had to battle catch-up, due to the fact that we’d been out of the office since last Wednesday noon. Maybe we’ll catch up by Christmas holidays.


  We have a full schedule of activities in the Valley this weekend and they all sound exciting.

  On Friday night the Arts Counsel will have their preview party, with silent bidding beginning, for the Chair-ity Auction. Saturday night this affair will continue with silent bidding beginning at 6 p.m. and continuing until the vocal bidding begins at 7. This sounds like it’s going to be a very enjoyable event.

  On Saturday, beginning at 1 p.m., the Tri-Lake Fairground Association sponsored Water Valley Christmas Parade will roll down Main Street, beginning at First Baptist Church. Prior to the parade the Fairground Association will have a concession stand near the pavilion in RR Park.

  Also, scheduled for Saturday afternoon is the Oakland Tour of Homes. There is an announcement, with complete details, of this in the paper.

  On Sunday afternoon there will be a tour of homes in Batesville. Details of this are included elsewhere in the paper.

  Two cantatas will be presented in the Valley on Sunday evening. The musical program at First United Methodist will begin at 5 p.m. and First Baptist will present their cantata beginning at 6. Both of these churches always present excellent programs that bring glory to the Lord’s Birthday celebration.

  Get out to as many of these events as you can—know you’ll enjoy each one.

Leave a Comment