Skip to content

Betty’s Week

By Betty Shearer

Jack put the office Christmas tree up on Wednesday afternoon and then early Thursday he put on the lights—jobs I’m no good at. Then I got to do the fun part—decorating. Annisa Wilkerson’s Imagination Station students so generously  supplied us handmade ornaments again this year. These young people are brilliant artists and allow us to have the most beautiful tree in the Valley each year. Tree ornaments featured are: Very unusual clay snowmen by kindergarten and first graders; beautiful paper birds by second graders; the cutest wooden block elves and other Christmas icons by third graders; colorful flannel and felt ornaments by the fourth and fifth grade students; more ornaments from fifth and sixth graders were very professional quality banana gourd santas  (this project was under the direction of Dr. Andy Jones); and also many, many beautiful hand painted Christmas balls, by 4th, 5th and 6th graders, as well as the junior and high school students. We do appreciate the loan of all these beautiful decorations. Oh yes, the tree toppers is a carry over from last year’s ornaments—my angel, which they gave me as my own personal treasure to use and then pass on to Jim. When Jack put it on top of the tree, I says, “Yes and that angel is going to fall off and I’ll be forever known as the fallen angel.”  I can’t believe that so far it’s stayed in place.  Do come by and see the tree—think you’ll be amazed at the talents of these students and their teachers.


  David left us early Thursday afternoon and as he was going out the door he says, “If anyone wants me, tell them I’m out—called into a very important meeting.” “Yes,”  I answered, “and do I tell them it’s taking place about 20 to 30 feet off the ground!” He does like to slip in a little deer hunting from time to time and we don’t begrudge him this little pleasure. I’ve been in the newspaper business long enough to know that you sneak in leisure time when you can get it. This is a profession that is 24/7 for a lifetime or until you get to retire—which is never.

  Before he got out the door, I fessed up to the fact that I was leaving at four. He says, “I don’t care I’m not going to be here.”


  Left early because I was hostess for Bridge. Jimmie had done all the work, but she does expect me to show up when my name is listed as hostess. We had the promise of three tables, but had to pull back to two, with two members calling in with stomach problems—we hope these ailment were caused by something they ate and not the bad virus going around.

  With us back to ten, I got to play my favorite position—teaming with Hilda Broom. I bid and Hilda plays and we usually win. Not so Thursday night though, we got my hands and even with my crazy bidding and her excellent playing skills, we still lost. High scorer was Amy Stone Florence, with almost four thousand points. Coming in second was Karen Martindale Lewis, who was not far behind. For the many friends of Karen’s mother, Opal Martindale, Karen reports that she is doing pretty good. Opal was a classmate of Dessie and Barron Caulfield, Marie Axelrod, Alma Hart, S. L. Bell (the jewelry), Ludie and many others, who stayed in the Valley.

  We did have a great night—it’s so much fun to get-together with this group. Unfortunately, recently I’ve been able to play about one out of every six or seven times.


  Friday morning Jimmie and I decided to do some Christmas shopping. Shopped all day and I bought one gift, don’t think she found more than a couple. We really do have to get in high gear, if we’re going to make the Christmas deadline. We  (she) do have the house in order—had to clean and decorate for Bridge, so she says I’ll try to keep everything in order for Christmas morning. Yea, I bet that’s going to happen.


  Saturday morning Woodland Hills Outreach Team handed out candy canes at the redlights at First Baptist and Main and Martin. I’m not a member of this team, but got up and came on down to see if I could help. We have so many folks sick, working, and otherwise prevented from helping with this project, who usually are there.

    I’m not very good at it, but I do have two hands, two feet, good health, and a big mouth. It was so much fun—I got to visit with folks I rarely see, exchange greetings with many I do not know, and just have fun with many who are close friends.         About 600 candy canes were given away between the hours of 8 and 10 a.m. and they were well received. Attached to the canes was the story behind this candy—a very timely message.

  After going home for breakfast and warming up, it was back to see the beautiful Christmas parade. We do appreciate all the hard work that goes into this project—especially by Parade Chairman J. C. Womble. The parade is sponsored each year by the Tri-Lake Fairground Association. This group had a concession stand with hot dogs, hamburgers, and drinks, and I sure did want a hot dog, but was to lazy to walk from the Baptist Church parking lot down to the bandstand—know I needed the exercise and really wanted the hot dog.

  The parade included many beautiful floats, several marching units, including both school bands, and the cutest (I thought) were Imagination Stations youngsters, dressed in paper bags decorated as reindeer, Santas, elves, nutcrackers, etc. They were adorable.

  Selected as parade marshals this year were Lucia and Don Holloway. Don’t think a better choice could have been made. Both Lucia and Don have contributed so much to WV during the years and we do appreciate your friendship, all your hard work and generosity.


  Was not in town Friday night for the preview of the Chair-ty Auction, but was home Saturday night and intended to attend. Got home after the parade and began catching up on chores I’ve just let slide for many weeks and forgot. I must be getting senile—this has happened too many times recently. Mom keeps saying, “Just wait until you get old.”  Well, I think I’m there.

Leave a Comment