Skip to content

Betty’s Week

By Betty Shearer

    Jim called from Pittsburgh Tuesday night. He reported that he and Celeste were having a great time. They’d attended the Steeler’s game on Sunday, which the Steelers won. At the time of the call he was outside during intermission of a band playing at a jazz club.

    He was excited to tell me that he’d watched the Pittsburgh paper being printed and it was amazing. Jim says, “I didn’t know presses could run as fast as this one.” He was standing outside in the snow, watching through the window the paper being printed from the basement, where the paper rolls began, up two stories.         While he was watching, the pressmen made a press change to accommodate one of their area revisions—so Jim got to watch the press stop and then re-start. He said that periodically a pressman would have a free moment and they’d wave to him.

    He says, “I think they knew that I was a knowledgeable viewer.”

    They took in Celeste’s love, and Jim’s two loves, all in one trip—doesn’t get any better than that. He says Pittsburgh is a beautiful city.


  Several Vallians and other former Water Valley folks attended the Cotton Bowl in the Dallas area on Sunday. I don’t usually watch football, but this game was interesting—it seemed to me that the winner was destined to be the team who wanted to loose the least. I’ve never seen so many turn-overs in a game of this magnitude.

    I was glad that the University of South Panola  was not playing either of these SEC teams, because SP would have won. I was delighted that Ole Miss, late in the game, decided to play better, and came out the winner—second consecutive year.

  On Wednesday Robert Montgomery had stopped in to give us a pint of his fabulous hot home-made chili sauce (thanks) and to tell me that he and Guy Dale Shaw were driving down to the game (others may have gone with them). I checked the crowd each time cameras were directed to the spectators, but never saw them. That stadium is unbelievable—don’t know what the seating capacity is, but it’s huge and it was packed.


  Delivering papers to the stores Wednesday morning I was afraid we might develop another ‘94 ice storm—which also began on Wednesday (somewhere before midnight). The light rain felt like it was coming off ice. We escaped terrible weather because the tempt went up instead of down, for which I was most thankful.

  Was strange not to attend prayer meeting Wednesday night. I filled the time by cooking gumbo and other goodies for our Thursday night Watch Night Service at Woodland Hills.

  Was amazed at the number of folks who attended this service, even though it was bitter cold and even sprinkled rain. More than 40 folks came and went during the four hour span of this event and I think probably 25 were still there for the closing event at midnight. During the evening we enjoyed lots of delicious food, a time worship under the leadership of Bro. Ken, followed by testimonies, and a great musical program by Harris Gooch, Ronnie and Cindy Dickey, and congregational singing. Young people enjoyed movies and playing games. Some adults also played games—I watched and it was very lively, with the men challenging the women.


  Didn’t get into bed until about three, so I slept in as late as possible and still be able to see the entire Rose Parade—which was my plan for Friday. I actually watched the preliminary to the parade and then the parade twice—they actually covered the parade and then re-ran the event—I guess for late risers.

  I had not seen a Rose Parade since 2002. This was one event Ed and I always enjoyed together. It was very pretty, but I don’t think it was as good as I remembered.

  Had planned to do some house cleaning following the parade, but ate only junk food (left over from the night before) and got a good stomach ache. It went away as soon as I put some solid food in and the time for housework has passed. I did do a bit of laundry and washed a few dishes.


  Saturday I couldn’t decide whether I needed to go to church or to Mom’s—was a mixed up week. Head finally cleared and I knew it was time to grocery shop and go over to fix lunch and cook for Sunday. Took the rest of my junk food with me—Bro. Rance took away the chocolate and peanut butter fudge, and the party mix was mostly eaten on Sunday, so that just left some candy for Mom and Miss Teddy to consume this week.


  Was so good to have Mrs. Etta Hodnett and her daughter, Wanda, of Memphis stop by for a short visit on Monday. Miss Etta looks great and reported that she was doing fine. She said to tell all her friends “Hello”.


  Watching the weather news this morning I realized that the old Herald Building  and Dolly’s house on Prospect have no heat and it’s predicted to be in the teens, or lower, most of the week. The water is still on in both of these buildings. On Prospect, all keys have been misplaced and I had no way to get in and turn the water on to drip. Called my last two carpenters and got news that their numbers had been disconnected. Then I called the last locksmith I’d used—again was advised that the number was no longer in service. Was about to go up to ask Larry Sprouse for a reference, when I spied Bro. Ken’s cell number. Called him to see if he knew how to break into a house. He say, “I’m sure I can do it.” He did, replaced a lock, which I have keys for. Went over to Sartains for advice and he volunteered to go up and turn the water off and check the vents. If you have a great pastor and wonderful friends, you can make it in this world. They are both deeply appreciated.


  Hope everyone is having a Happy New Year.


 I’ve received a few notes of interest, which I’ll share.

  First comes from Jean Benson of Camden, Tenn. She writes: “Seems that it was just yesterday that I was asking you to send my husband, Jim, the North Mississippi Herald (for his birthday). The year has almost passed and soon he will be celebrating another birthday!

  “I have watched him wait (impatiently) for the mail lady to bring the Herald each week and I’ve enjoyed watching him read every page with such interest! I must say that I have never ever given him a gift that he has enjoyed so much…so to keep him happy for another year. I’d like to renew his subscription for another year.”

  Thanks for  subscribing and for writing, Jean, and we’re so glad Jim is enjoying the paper.

  From Charles Liles of Bruce comes: “Dear Betty, I’m sending a check for you to keep the North MS Heard coming. It comes to Bruce on Thursdays—a few times it came later, but I always get the paper. My wife, Emily, and I enjoy the Herald very much.

  “Since I like antiques and collectibles very much, I’m sending you this cute little calendar to use on your refrigerator, or wherever, to enjoy and keep up with the months, days, 2010. If you will save your calendar pages and tuck the little calendar away at the end of the year in a drawer or trunk, someday it just might become a real little collectible for a friend or some member of your family.

    “I have a booth at The Depot in Oxford, Lindley’s Antique Mall in Oakland, and Antiques Downtown in Pontotoc. The next time you and Jimmie shop The Depot, get Ben to show you my booth. When you two shop Lindley’s, Patsy, Rhonda, or Joyce will show you my booth there. If y’all ever get to Pontotoc, shop Antiques Downtown.

    “Happy New Year, Sincerely, Charles.”

  Thanks for writing and for the calendar Charles, we’re looking forward to checking out your booths in the near future.

  From Barbara Fly Moore of Portland, Oregon, daughter of the late Earl Fly, comes this short message: “Thanks for keeping me in touch with my hometown.”

  We do appreciate all our subscribers and friends writing and calling. We do enjoy keeping in touch.


  The column is being written late on Monday, just in case I’m snowed in in the morning. Sure hope not, but there is a possibility. The chance of being snow bound is even greater later in the week—if the road is white I don’t know how to drive on it.

Leave a Comment