Skip to content

Betty’s Week

By Betty Shearer

    I don’t think I’ve ever seen our area more beautiful than it was over the weekend—and it’s continuing this week. Rain and wind predicted tomorrow and Thursday will probably take its toll on the flowers. I  hope you can get out this afternoon and see this beauty at its peak. Dogwoods did bloom for Easter and I didn’t think there was any hope.

    Now on the hill, they were not very showy—just little green blooms, barely open. However in other areas they were completely white and very beautiful. The wisteria has draped most of the trees along the roadsides I travel, Redbuds are gorgeous, Cherry trees are blooming, the forsythia is still in full bloom and some daffodils are still hanging in there, as are some of the pears. The hawthorne blooms are almost covered by leaves, but they still add a little color. Iris will probably come to life in a few days, as will azaleas.

  I have so enjoyed these warm, sunny days. David was threatening turning on the air conditioner yesterday. We may get along without it for a few more days, though, since it’s cloudy today and the cool front will bring relief for the next few days. I was looking forward to one month with a lower electric bill. However, I know we usually have one week of spring and one of fall—rest is summer and winter.


  Last week brought lots of sadness—for those of us still living. Those who went to be with the Lord  are experiencing ultimate joy. We only grieve for ourselves, but it’s a part of life and God gave this also.

  I was so sorry that I could not make visitation or the funeral for long-time friend, Betty Ruth Swearengen. She and husband, Tommy (whom we lost last year), could brighten any day. They both truly enjoyed life to the fullest and shared that zest for living with all who crossed their paths.     

    They were also great dancers and I did so enjoy watching them. Never envied folks many things—but I always wanted to dance. No way, since in addition to having two left feet, I was married to a musician, so I never had a partner. Last time I remember the four of us being together was shortly before Ed died. It was not a social visit, we actually went to the Swearengen home for something connected to the paper. Wound up staying until dark, discussing all their landscaping (and it was wonderful), fishing, most of the folks in town (living and dead) and enjoying refreshments.

    As always, this visit with the Swearengens was one of the memorable events of the year. I’ll miss the always delightful encounters with Betty Ruth. Sympathy is extended to her family.


  One of our Adult I Sunday ZSchool members at Woodland Hills, Mae Bell, went to be the Lord on April 1. My name is listed as teacher of this class, but it’s really taught my all class members. Since I’ve held this position, we’ve lost three members—two to go home with the Lord and one to go to a new home here on earth. Betty Franklin was our first loss and we still miss her. Next Mrs. Etta Hodnett moved to Memphis to be with her three remaining children following the death of daughter, Betty Harris.         She comes back for an occasional visit. Now it’s Mae and we shall miss her so much. All three of these have been valuable members of our teaching staff. Miss Etta prays the most wonderful prayers—when she prays you know you’re right in the presence of God. And her life experiences just brought Biblical lessons to life. Betty and Mae didn’t talk much when they came into the class, but soon opened up and shared their life lessons with us. We’re all the better for their lives having passed through ours.  We will miss Mae and still miss Betty. Sympathy is expressed to the Bell family.


  We had another wonderful day at Woodland Hills Easter Sunday. Started with breakfast, which provided delicious food and great fellowship. We had some guests for this. The worship service, second in our new sanctuary, was a very enjoyable time. We had almost a full house, with several visitors. We were so glad you came and invite you back for any service. James Marshal became a member of the church family—this will be an Easter Sunday he’ll never forget. We were so glad to have him join us.

  Bro. Ken’s message was very timely and delivered in an excellent manner. I rarely tell him that he does a good joy of bringing us the message God has given him, so maybe he can save this and read it when he thinks I’ve forgotten him. He is a great pastor and friend. Special music, under the direction of Patti, Barbara and Sammie, as always was beautiful–we do like to sing.


  After church I went to Mom’s for lunch and to spend the afternoon. I’d prepared the food at my house, but it was still edible even warmed up. After everyone left us, Mom and I watched golf and talked—two of our favorite things.


  Phone rang early yesterday (Monday). It was Jim, who’d called to tell me happy birthday (his, not mine). Can’t believe my baby is 46 years old. We discussed that we’re the only two left on earth who witnessed this miracle. Mrs. Blackwood was our nurse and she been gone for many years. Ed left us in 2003 and Dr. Spears went home a few years later. Jim and I admit that we don’t remember much about that night, but we both survived it. I remember looking at Mrs. Blackwood and Ed and thinking I really don’t want to find a mirror. They both looked like they’d been hit in both eyes with a baseball. Finally had to go to the bathroom and as I washed my hands, peeped at the mirror—was surprised, I looked pretty good compared to them. I  must have been a terrible patient.

    I do remember that it was the Sunday after Easter in 1964 and it was so cold—had to wear my heavy winter coat to the clinic. Jim was born at 6:10 a.m. in Dr. Spears Clinic (now Dr. Barry Weeks Office) and we all went home at 9:30. Word of Jim’s birth spread rapidly and the entire family, many members of Camp Ground and some First Methodist came by for a visit in the afternoon. It was a happy birthday.

Leave a Comment