Skip to content

Betty’s Week

By Betty Shearer

    It was so good to visit with Ruth and Johnny Perkins last Tuesday. They had lived in Greenville for many years, but now they’re joining us in the Valley. When retirement got close they started looking for a house here and have purchased the home of the late Jeanette and Bill White.

    Johnny, having retired, began spending some of his time here, and now that Ruth has retired and they will be spending more of their time here (we’re glad). For you newcomers to the Valley, Johnny is Betty Davis’ older brother.  It was good to catch up on Ruth’s and Johnny’s family, and to learn a little more about the Perkins family. Ruth, Johnny, Betty, Al and I are planning an eating-visiting. Betty and Al don’t know about that yet.


    Wednesday morning started out bad and the day quickly went to worse. I got up late and didn’t put on any makeup – don’t think I even put lotion on my face. That north wind quickly made me realize why I use makeup – doesn’t help much with looks, but it does help with wind burn. I got a good one. I’m still peeling.

    Wednesday night I felt my face and it was like rubbing the alligator in one of the moisturizing ads. Next morning after my shower, I reached for some moisturizing cream, rubbed it on and a hand full of scale came off. I got the luffa, gave the face a good scrubbing, then applied the cream again. In a few minutes skin was dry and scaly again, so I got out the big gun – Vaseline. Used it day and night for a couple of days.     No one had to look at me as I was snow bound on Thursday and half of Friday. I’m still peeling on Monday.

    The snow started shortly after noon on Wednesday. I went back to tell Jack that I was going home If it didn’t stop – did not want to walk up that hill. He says, “Go on, we’re not doing anything.”

    So I did. It was a good thing that I didn’t wait, because the farther I got out on 315 the heavier the snow was. If I had waited the extra 30 or so minutes I’d planned to I would never have made it up the hill. The snow was falling so fast that it was hard to see the cars on 315 from my den window.

    Long before dark the van was completely covered—it looked like a small snow mountain. My snow gauge is a patio table on the end of the driveway. The snow just rises perfectly flat on this four foot table, and you can take a yard stick and measure it accurately. There was four inches on that table.

    I had plenty of food in the house, so I wasn’t going to starve. However, I really believe I’m suffering from psychosomatic snow bound illnesses. First snow I had a tooth that I just knew was going to hurt – didn’t. Wednesday I was so tired and cold that I went home, pulled my couch throw around me and went to sleep for a couple of hours – unheard of for me, I just don’t sleep in daylight. Woke up and had a side ache. Jimmie called and I said, “Think I’ve got another snow illness.”

    She asked what and I admitted to the side ache. Said don’t know if it appendicitis or not, ‘cause I don’t know which side that would be on. She yelled, “You idiot it’s your right side.” Well, wouldn’t you know it, it was my right side that was hurting. Had to talk fast to keep her from getting Bill out to come see about me. It was nothing, I guess, since I’m still alive and the pain went away.

    From isolation during these snows though, I I think I can relate to people in prison – it’s scary to be where you can’t get out and where no one can get in easily. I don’t want any more snow. I like to come and go when I please.

    This snow was absolutely beautiful. About midnight I looked outside and it was brighter than it had been when I came home about 1:30 in the afternoon. Everything was completely covered in white. Didn’t last long though when the sun came up Thursday morning. Still didn’t melt enough for me to get down the driveway.

    On Friday morning, the driveway cleared up, but the van doors were frozen shut. Could have thawed them with hot water, but we had nothing pressing at the office, so I just waited until the sun melted the driver’s door.


    Waited until about 10:30 Saturday morning before tackling the Pope/Water Valley Road. Mel had told me how bad it was on Friday morning. In places it was still very hazardous driving and there was still plenty of ice on it even when I came back home late in the afternoon. Still had some at noon Sunday and even a little late that afternoon. In shady places that snow just did not melt fast.

    Can you believe that they put school buses on that road, and many more in just as bad a condition (maybe even worse) on Friday morning. Now to put buses and drivers on those roads was using very poor judgement, but to put children on those buses was down right criminal. You don’t put lives in danger just to keep from having to make up snow days in the spring.


     Jim called Thursday night to report on his final two concerts. Snow there was about the same depth as it was here, and they rarely every get any of the white stuff. He’s less than ten miles from the border of Mexico. Jim was able to get the performer for the Tuesday night concert from the El Paso Airport to his home, but the concert was canceled. Folks just don’t drive on snow in Las Cruces.

    He said he and Celeste fed him, enjoyed  a visit, then Jim took him back to the airport Wednesday morning and picked up the entertainers scheduled for that night’s show. This concert was presented, but to a very small audience. He was disappointed.

    I tried to tell him that he couldn’t control the weather – don’t think it helped. The other performances over the past two months in this jazz extravaganza had been well attended, with perfect weather. He’s like his dad though, the two failures ruined the whole series.


    Sunday weather was beautiful and it has continued today, with a promise  for the entire week to be in the high 60s or low 70s. This makes me extremely happy. I’ve already found some short sleeve shirts and my jeans – wool has been returned to the closet and I hope it’s there for the rest of this year.


    We will have a two-day revival this weekend with Bro. Jimmy Dale Sartain preaching and Linda Williams leading the music. Service time on Saturday night will be 6 p.m. and on Sunday, service times will be 10:30 a.m. and 6:15 p.m. Following the Sunday night service we will have a soup, sandwich and dessert fellowship. Everyone is welcome to attend any, or all, of these services.

    Linda came Sunday night for a special choir practice – getting us ready for  revival. One of the songs we practiced she says we’ve sung before. I decided they had run in some secret practices, probably because I sing so poorly – I know that I rarely miss church or choir practice. We do have fun at Woodland Hills.


    Lucia Holloway shared her Feb. 14 Clarion Ledger with me. This issue contained a picture of former Northwest Jr. College classmate, Lecile Harris of Collierville, Tenn. He is a rodeo clown working the Dixie National. I think Lecile has earned the title of oldest working Rodeo Clown.

    I know there are many former NWJC students in the area who will remember him, and many rodeo buffs here who have seen him through the years at many different rodeos.

Leave a Comment