Skip to content

Betty’s Week

By Betty Shearer

      Last week’s column was written on Monday afternoon. That night I attended the Spring Meeting of Yalobusha Baptist Association, held in Camp Ground Baptist Church. It was like going home.

    Ed and I spent 42 years as members of Camp Ground, where he for many of those years was the volunteer song leader and I sang in the choir, taught Sunday School and served on several committees. Even if I live to be over a 100, the Camp Ground membership will be the longest of my life and for most of those years it was a wonderful experience of worship and service.

  Also attending from Woodland Hills were Betty and Ed Hill, more former members of Camp Ground.

  It was so good to worship with many of the church we’d spent all those years with – Paulette and Charles Dennis, their oldest daughter, Kay, and her husband Michael Callahand and their youngest daughter, Jessica, and many others. During the fellowship Kay and I enjoyed old memories – she and Jim were the same age. One that we remembered was when Jim threw her shoe into the gully behind the church.

    Kay says. “Mr. Ed made Jim go down into that gully and retrieve my shoe.” I remember Jim’s exclamation as he brought the shoe back, “Just for an old shoe I could have been lost in that kudzu (it was thick) or eaten by one of those big vicious snakes down there. Even though frightening for a mother at the time, I have to admit it was an excellent life lesson and a very funny memory. We both also remember an early bowling outing with Kay and Jim being two of the younger members of the group (Kay’s younger sister, Leronda was actually the baby of those kids). Our pastor at the time (we think Bro. David Spencer) and I were the chaperones (now today do you think two adults would dare to take care of about 20 youths (pre-school to late teens). We did and everyone just had a great time.

    Leronda insisted on bowling. She was too little to bowl the ball, all she could do was walk to the line, put the ball down and push it. It took what seemed like half-hour to reach the pins, but strangely enough she always knocked down many pins, often getting a strike. I had bowled only a few times before this and certainly did not know how to keep score. Bro. David gave me a crash course in score keeping and I managed two alleys and he the other two. I’ve been keeping score ever since and even got to be a fair bowler.

  The meeting was well attended, with some great fellowship. Bro. David Ross, pastor of Camp Ground, brought an excellent message; and Paul Phillips, a member of Camp Ground, presented the special music, which was beautiful. Prior to the service a quartet, Mr. Phillips, Michael Callahand, Betty Appleton, and her daughter, Donna Downey, presented special music.

  Following the program, as Baptist usually do, we ate some delicious food, prepared by the ladies of the church. It seemed strange not to be in that kitchen.


  Jo Edwards Alexander of Portageville, Missouri called last Tuesday morning to tell me about another Bill Dickey. Seems there is a relative of this man living near her. This Bill was an employee of the jail and they thought it might be him. After I explained to Jo that the man whose note was in the picture was an inmate, she says, “Don’t think this is  my neighbor’s relative.”

    The Mr. Dickey she heard about lived east of Water Valley, I think out somewhere near the Pine Valley Area. It is interesting to learn about all these people, though. Thanks for calling, Jo.


  Wednesday night, April 20 (anniversary of our 1984 tornado for those of you who were not here and those of you who have forgotten), was prayer meeting night at Woodland Hills. The weather was not good. Bro. Ken asked if we wanted to hurry up the meeting and get home or just continue at the usual pace. I thought we should pray really fervently and long. Well the service went as usual and we all got into our vehicles before the rain came down by buckets.     I waited several minutes in my driveway before going into the house – still got soaked. Before going to the service, there was hail and rain on the hill. The hail was probably dime size, came down heavily, but never got any larger. I was watching the weather on television and in places they had golf and baseball size ice balls. Was glad we did not get this—I don’t have a carport.     

    Brother Rance reported seeing a TV report with grapefruit size hail – now that would kill a person and certainly destroy a vehicle. We have missed most of the bad storms and hope we continue to do so – however we do know how to sympathize with those who are getting hit.


  Easter weekend was beautiful weatherwise. The red clover is beautiful. Couldn’t help but remember the late Mr. Frank “Pop” Tucker as I drove along taking in its beauty. Mr. Frank, for many years, wrote our Town and Country Column and also our Yester Year Column – he spent many hours in the office and I came to love him like a grandfather. He’s actually Betty Davis’ grandfather, even though I really didn’t know her at the time. Mr. Frank urged everyone to plant red clover, especially along the roadside. Many did and we still enjoy the fruits of his encouraging and their works.

  Also blooming are lots of azaleas, iris, daisies, and probably some dogwood (didn’t notice any, but I’ve never known Easter not to have some dogwoods).

  We had a good crowd at Woodland Hills for breakfast and even more for morning service. Food was very good, with some new recipes appearing. I made my usual biscuits and sausage gravy – it’s always eaten, so why cook anything new. I did have a ham tart dish I’d planned to make, but left my ham at Mom’s and was too lazy to go back to Larson’s. Maybe they’ll get this next year.

  The choir sang the opening anthem and Betty and Harris Gooch presented the special music. They’re always great, but do think this was their best ever. Bro. Ken’s sermons are always excellent and very timely.


  Easter at Mom’s was very different. No Easter ham – we had ham last week – and no eggs. We did not boil an egg, did not color an egg, did not hide or look for an egg – no children were in our gathering. We did not even have stuffed eggs for lunch – a first I’m sure.         Jimmie usually does this but she and Bill went to Karen and William’s for lunch to be with them and grands, Harris and Ian.

  We didn’t go hungry though, I cooked a good meal, even had several desserts. Then made Mom some banana nut bread Sunday afternoon—did this during commercial breaks in the golf game. It came out of the oven at her supper time, so she got hot buttered bread, along with her milk.

  I came home and watched more of the events leading up to the royal wedding. I watched Charles and Diana’s and hope to see this one – do hope William and Kate will have a happier life and I believe they will.

Leave a Comment