Skip to content

Out On The Mudline

Scrap Metal Worth More Than Original Product

By W. P. Sissell

    The price of scrap metal must be high for the number of trailers that pass our place daily is innumerable laden with almost all kinds of scrap  on the way to west Batesville or Sardis. I’ve referred several times to the little fishing boat that my Dad got from Mr. Trusty’s store one Sunday leaving a note saying that he was the one who took the boat. I’m told that aluminum brings forty-four cents a pound and that little boat is all aluminum. It’s probably worth more today as scrap than it was when sold as a boat.

  As I think about it I wonder what the Model “T” Ford body would be worth today. The body was all aluminum. It was the car that Mother, Ruth, and I moved to the O’Tuckolofa place in 1929. Brother Reuel Jr., made a strip down from it and partially taught me to drive on his strip down. In later years, when Dad bought a power hay-baler, I made hay deflectors for the baler from the door panels.

  One of my new neighbors, while building his home, lost all the copper to thieves after completing the wiring of said home. This was several years ago.

Busy Week

  We’ve had a busy week. Last Monday afternoon, when I usually would have been writing this column, I went down to visit Bill Cole (Betty Shearer’s brother-in-law). Mr. Cole is the owner of Magnolia Sales School Bus Company, for which I picked up and delivered buses for a number of years. We drivers didn’t get rich but we did have a lot of fun. I had not seen Bill in a long time and since I had an afternoon free, Nannette gave me permission to make the visit.

  Our visit was terminated by something which I do not remember. As I went out the gate Bill emerged from the office, waving both hands which meant stop! As I backed through the gate he shouted that Nannette had called to tell me that she was on her way to the hospital. Niece Lucile had been found unable to communicate and had been taken to the hospital. I was to come directly to the hospital.

  After several visits by a doctor, Lucile was sedated enough that she was suffering little, if any, pain. Nannette and I stayed with her until about 1:25 when she passed. We stayed for the doctor to come on a final visit and then until the coroner, Gracie Grant, came so that she could fill out the final papers for the death certificate.

  We have been very busy the rest of the week getting her immediate family here. Today everyone has gone back to their regular daily tasks. Shipp, who serves as her executor, is back on his mail route; I am back at the computer writing; Niece Betty is attending to some business in town. Grandson, Parker, one of the drivers to Hazelhurst where the services were held, is today back at his mechanic’s work.

  We are all fairly well exhausted but not so much that I cannot wish each and everyone of you a happy day. When we stopped for a sandwich recently a young man seemed to be waiting for us to get near him. He asked Nannette if she was Mrs. Sissell. When I got near he spoke to Mr. Sissell. I had never knowing met the young fellow before. Young man I apologize for I’ve lost my note of your name. When I returned his greeting he told me that he read this column every week.

    Thank all of you.

Leave a Comment