Skip to content

Betty’s Week

By Betty Shearer

    As I delivered papers to the stores last Wednesday morning I was became keenly aware that we were into the Fourth of July Holiday. There were fireworks to the north and fireworks to the south.

    I’ve always wondered why we celebrate this holiday, or any other military event, with fireworks. Seems to me that the men and women we’re remembering had had enough fireworks during the many battles they served in, bringing about the victories that were cause for our celebration. I think it would be more fitting if we celebrated with a reverent service in church or a peaceful time of remembrance at home, followed by the fun things we do, like a great meal or relaxing recreational time.

    The fireworks were prevalent in our area, though. I heard them from dark until past midnight on both Sunday and Monday nights. Then I watched the Fireworks Spectacular on TV Monday night. It was beautiful and the music was great. I do like a good fireworks display, but still think it would be more fitting to have them on New Year’s, Labor Day, or some other non-military holiday.

    As I watched the New York fireworks display, my thought was, “Wonder what the price tag for this was?” It lasted for about thirty minutes and the sky was filled with wonder for what looked like miles. After considering this though, I surmised that the individual lay-out would have been very low, considering all the folks that were enjoying it—was worth my dollars and I’d even contribute, especially if I could see it in person.

    We used to go up to see the show on Mud Island, also saw a big one once in Pascagoula, and even in the Valley one year the Jaycees gave an outstanding display in the football stadium. This one was at New Year’s and it was cold. Until Ed died, we usually went up for the LOU Band concert, followed by their fireworks—these were awesome. They were in Aven Park for years, and then moved to the Ole Miss Baseball Stadium.

     It was a beautiful holiday (though hot) and I know that everyone who got to go to the lakes or enjoy a picnic anywhere had a great time. This year I did not even go out late in the afternoon, as is our family custom. After minding the office in the  morning, I went home, heated some lunch, washed some dishes the fun way (in the bathroom sink and tub) and washed some clothes. I do have a laundry room, just no kitchen. After this I turned into a couch potato for the rest of the day.


    Our Woodland Hills family had a delightful 4th barbecue Sunday night. I made the barbecue the cheating way. Cooked Boston butts in the oven, using a little liquid smoke and dry rub and cooking them until they fall off the bone—hard to tell they were not cooked on the smoker. Cooked way to much meat, but it’s in the freezer and we’ll eat it Watermelon Carnival Weekend—that only a month away.

    Others brought delicious beans, coleslaw, potato salad, other sides, and desserts so we had a feast and some wonderful fellowship. Bro. Ken brought a very timely short devotional (had to be short because I threatened him, don’t know with what, if he ran long and the food got cold).

    He had a funny story to tell Sunday morning. I felt for him because it is something that could have happened to me if I had pool and a vehicle without all the new technology to prevent my doing stupid things.

    Seems he pulled into his driveway and left his pickup in neutral. He said he heard a crunch and went out and discovered his fence broken down. Wondering what had caused this, he then heard a splash. You’re right, his pickup had found their swimming pool.  Could have been worse though. He says the only damage was the lost of a radiator. He and Harry Womble devised a way to get the truck out, using some sort of a sling, a backhoe and some other equipment. I envisioned having to bring in a crane.

    The really funny part of the story as Bro. Ken told it to me, before admitting it in the pulpit, was his remark after seeing the truck in the pool. He said he looked around expecting to see our photographer, Jack Gurner, standing right behind him. Jack does have a reputation and many, including Bro. Ken, think he has radar. When I told Jack the story this morning his remark was, “I wish I’d known – it would have made for a great feature picture!”

    Events such as this really should be reported – would make the Herald much more interesting.


    Mel and I went over to Rounder’s Pizza for lunch last Friday. As we entered owner, Michael Green, says, “Betty, try the Hominy Casserole. I made it using MamMa Green’s recipe.” Well I never liked hominy, but this casserole has always been a favorite of mine and I’d eaten it many times at the late Christine Green’s dinner table.

    After eating Michael’s I had to compliment him on having done justice to her dish—it was just as delicious as I remembered. I ate way to much of it, probably gained a couple of pounds. Salads and pizza was also excellent and that pecan dessert was delicious.

    It’s so good to have Michael back in the Valley—great to have our kids and grandkids come back home.

    For those of you who don’t know Michael, he’s a son of Jimmy Green and Lee Ann Berry, grandson of the Curtis and Janice Berry, and the late Simp and Christine Green.


    Long-time subscriber and friend Joy Person Windham of Mobile, Alabama called Friday morning to give us some good news. She had gotten her June 30th paper on Friday, July 1. Now that is amazing since it usually takes from one to three weeks to arrive. We do appreciate these reports and it was good to talk to Joy.


    I was so sorry to learn of the death of Doug Gurner. Doug is a son of the late Mary Nell Gurner and Jack, Sr., brother of Jack, Jr.

     Doug was a kid I admired. He was brilliant, and an independent thinker.He did a lot of good in this world the few short years God let him stay here.

    Sympathy is extended to the entire family and he will be missed. Our land is a better place in which to live because Doug was passed through it.

Leave a Comment