Skip to content

Betty’s Week

By Betty Shearer

    Wednesday morning Snooky Williams stopped by for a short visit—always enjoy him.
    As he was leaving, Bobby Cox came in with a beautiful tomato. He says, “I’ll swap this for the instructions on how to freeze green tomatoes.” He still has an abundance. Told him I’d make a deal like that anytime. The tomato made several delicious tomato sandwiches. Thanks. Always enjoy visiting with Bobby as he usually has some good stories.
    On Wednesday he had some great ones. Recently he and his grandson had been deer hunting in the country and had not killed anything. Grandson wanted to get a big buck. Bobby said next morning he was up early and heard a lot of noise coming from the yard. Went out on the porch and there was a trophy eight-point buck in the brush. This went on for some time and then a little four-point appeared, which the big buck chased off.
    Then another four-point came out, along with the first little deer. In a few more minutes they were joined by two does. Bobby said he knew no one was going to believe he had five deer in his yard at one time, so he went for his camera, and on the way woke up grandson. Made pictures, so he could tell his story with proof.
    He said grandson really wanted to shoot that big buck. Bobby said he had to assure him that that wasn’t the thing to do, since they were in the city limits.
    He went on to say he would have liked to let him, since the deer had not only eaten his pansies, but had pulled them up by the roots. Been there and done that.
    He’s also having squirrel problems. His solution was getting a pellet gun. We have hundreds of squirrels at Mom’s and Brother Bo has a .410, but it’s still to powerful—think he’ll have to buy a pellet gun. At the house I’m also over run with these little pests and on my hill I could shoot them with any weapon—I just don’t like to kill them. A few more times of having them eat up wiring harnesses though, and I may change my mind.
    At noon on Thursday Mel and I went across to “Rounders” where we enjoyed their buffet—way to much of it—topped off by the delicious Pecan Cobbler. Missed seeing owner, Michael Green.
    Back at the office, before opening time of one o’clock, we decided to take a quick tour of J’s on Main, owned by Jonathan Sharp. I’d been watching them unload all that interesting merchandise for several days, but just had not had the time to get in for a visit.     His shop has many beautiful items—Christmas decorations, pottery, glassware and much more. He also has quite a collection of primitive furniture. His is beautiful if you like that decor. I don’t and told him I didn’t, but I know there are many of you out there who do like this, so come on in and see his extensive collection.
    Really enjoyed visiting with Jonathan. He’s the Sharp kid I didn’t know very well and visiting with him for just a few minutes, I realized I’d missed a treat. Plan to make up for lost time with him—sure hope he’s our neighbor for a long time. It’s also been good to visit with Mom Janice and to see Dad Charles helping.
    Got to Moms about six Thursday and found Bo had cooked a delicious supper. He said he knew that I’d not had proper food all week and with Jimmie and me going to the Mississippi Ag Museum on Friday and Saturday, I’d eat mostly junk food. He has pork tenderloin and gravy, mashed potatoes, cabbage with lot of onion, peas, lima beans, and I ate cornbread.
    Jimmie and I left early Friday morning, stopping in Winona for breakfast. When we arrived at the museum we found hundreds of school children already touring the museum and most of them came by to see the print shop.
    During the week several thousand youngsters, along with their teachers and chaperones, passed through our shop. They were all well behaved and very attentive, and asked lots of good questions.
    We usually demonstrate all the presses, the cutter, linotype and and Ludlow. This week we were running with only three staff members, so the typesetters and Washington Press were just static exhibits. Mary Sue and Bennett Anderson of Olive Branch were unable to be with us and we really missed them. Bennett operates and explains the linotype. He also knows more about all the equipment than any of us. We had problems and sure missed his repair ability and their company. Mary Sue hands out our material, sometimes runs the press, and does any other chores that need to be done. I had to do some of the talking and I don’t like to do this—I’d rather run the equipment.
    We had a couple of  really cute kids come through.
    One was taken with the poster we use to demonstrate the Washington Hand Press. This press we were not running, but still explained how it worked and showed them the demonstration poster. Poster reads: Wanted One Eared Jack, along with his description, giving the reward offered. This little boy, probably 7 to 8 years old, studied this poster intently.
    He then called Sister Jimmie over and whispered in her ear, “I’m going to look for that fellow. If I find him how do I collect that reward?” Jimmie, keeping a straight face, answered, “If you find him just let us know and we’ll get the money to you.” As soon this little fellow left, she shared this with all of us and we had a great laugh.
    The other little boy came in our back door, which is not usually allowed. Told us he was looking for his dad. Jimmie ask if he was lost. He said no, he wasn’t, but his dad was. Then we realized he was the son of one of the volunteers at the cotton gin. He says, “I’m going to the main building to look for him.” We then wanted to know if he should do this. He assured us that he was allowed to go there and would come back if he didn’t find his father. All worked out—father was found.
    They were able to gin at least seven bales of cotton and I never did get over to see it run—we were busy. The saw mill was running and they made lots of sorghum. All this we can see out our back door. Also in our back yard was the small engine group. Right out our door they were grinding cornmeal. The owner gave me a pound and I’m looking forward to making some old-fashioned cornbread. He also gave me a recipe. There was lots of music and other entertainment, a big antique tractor and car show, but we also missed all of this.
    It was a beautiful and fun two days though, even if we were mostly stuck in the print shop. I was disappointed though, not a person from the Valley came to visit us. We did have a couple of schools from north Mississippi visit.
    I was sorry that the Blue Devils were eliminated from the north half playoffs by Cleveland East Side Friday night. Sounded like a great game. Congratulations team on a winning season. I’m proud of you.

Leave a Comment