Skip to content

Betty’s Week

By Betty Shearer

It’s been a long week – have to cover from Thursday, Dec. 27, through Monday, January 7, in this column and  lots has happened in this time period.
  Went to Mom’s for the night of the 27th, got up early, came back to work on Friday, then it was back for the weekend. Did all the usual cooking and cleaning.
  Sunday our church schedule was normal, but then on New Year’s Eve we  were in church most of the day. Bill Beene’s service was at eleven o’clock. Prior to service time I and several others were in the kitchen getting ready to feed the family following the service. We completed this middle of the afternoon. Went home and got ready to return for our Watch Night program, which started at 8 p.m.
    I really didn’t expect much of a crowd, due to the earlier service and the bad weather. About 35 people came and we had a great time. Ate gallons of soup and gumbo, along with lots of chips and dips, other appetizers, and tons of desserts. Was all delicious and I probably gained a few pounds.
  We also played some exciting games. Learned one new one called Ten Thousand. We have at least one new game appear each year (sometimes more) and they are fun.
  After we tired of games, we put together the Woodland Hills Watch Night Acapella Choir and it was amazing. We probably hit a few right notes per song, but our time was pretty good. I suggested that we volunteer to present the special music on the following Sunday. Harris Gooch was already scheduled for this and I’m sure all in attendance were glad. Harris does have a fabulous voice and he also plays piano beautifully.
  Bringing our message Sunday was Rev. Franklin Dunn. Franklin is a great preacher and we do enjoy him when he fills the pulpit. Sunday he had with him his wife, Shirley, and friends, Mr. and Mrs. Ray Smith from Grenada. Was great to have them with us.
  On New Year’s Day I watched the Rose Parade—twice. Slept though a lot of the first airing, but think I got most of it the second time around. Don’t believe it was as exciting as in former years. Floats seemed smaller and there seemed to be less animation. Missed seeing several long-time floats—may have slept through them.
  I didn’t even eat my black-eyed peas and cabbage. Don’t guess I’ll have any luck or prosperity in 2013.
    Wednesday morning papers were supposed to arrive half-hour late. However, I woke at my usual time, so I got out of bed and came on to work. Surprise—papers were there. Was glad, because I was dreading the kidding I was going to take at Dunn’s Store for being late. May happen this week, because we’re still not sure what delivery schedule we’ll have. If I’m late just wait for me.
  For the rest of the week schedule was normal.
  Things, however, at Mom’s were not normal. Had the electrician in on Saturday and he got some of our problems corrected. Will have to make another trip to get the rest. Mom’s house was built some 30 to 35 years ago and during that period they used plug in switches and outlets.
    These things burn up and a lot of hers were not working. In my bedroom I didn’t have a single outlet—only the overhead light burned. We were running with several extension cords in the living and dining rooms.
  After the electricians left, Mom’s home health nurse came by. She was a delightful lady, Nancy Lee Colinger from Charleston. It was her first time with us and she was there because our nurse had been in an accident and the other nurses were covering for her. Was glad to meet Nancy. She’s a Yankee who’s been in the south for 29 years, so I taught her how to make cornbread.
  After this we had to put up a new blind in the dining room, because I’d torn the old one down trying to get the sunshine in. Mom’s sitter Monday-Wednesday nights doesn’t want to see out at all. So Rance and Ginny bought the blind and Rance and I put it up—not exactly a professional job, but it works. The window should be 34×72, but it’s actually 72 and from 33 to 34 inches depending where you measure, so we had to just jam it in. We did make sure it was well secured—knew if that thing fell we would lose a good sitter.
  Mel has been out with the flu, but was back at work today (Monday). It was good to have her back. Her entire family was stricken with this and her report is that you really don’t want it. In my life time I’ve had the flu once—about 30 years ago. It was  dubbed the Hong Kong variety and it was the sickest I’ve every been. From that day until this I run when I hear the mention of flu.
  Our family has only suffered with dripping sinuses, which caused sore throats, red watery eyes, coughing and sneezing—mine has not been serious.
  We did have an exciting family event over the weekend. Missy and Michael Cole (Bill’s and Jimmie’s youngest and his wife) had a baby. Born early in the morning January 5, she weighed five pounds, fifteen ounces and was 19-1/2 inches long. The young lady has been named Caroline Carson Cole. She’s being welcomed by siblings, Jack, Haller Grace, and Ruff. I think she’s Mom’s eighth great-grand.
  Congratulations to Jack and Judy Sartain on their retirement. They have been wonderful Main Street neighbors for many years and we’ll miss them. However, I’m so glad they had Joey to take over. He’s such a delightful young man and is such a great store keeper. Knows how to do just about everything and will continue to be a valuable asset to Main Street. If you need to buy it he can find what you need and if you need it repaired he can do that also.
  One of my favorite folks went to be with the Lord on the 29th—the ninth anniversary of the loss of my favorite fellow.
  It’s hard to believe that I’ve known Dr. Joe Walker for over 40 years. Loved him and all his family.
  The good he’s done in the Valley and in many other places, both medically and spiritually, is unknown. His medical knowledge was phenomenal. Before he came to the Valley we were told by the powers at BMH in Memphis that he was destined to be the top cardiologist in the southeast. He also gave tirelessly of himself to sports medicine and addiction rehabilation. There are not enough words to tell of all the good Joe did in this world.
  Sympathy is extended to Zandra, the children, and the entire Walker family.
  Pamela Beyer Fant and her daughter, Robin Fant, are visiting for a week in the Valley with Sandy and Vicki Beyer. Pamela is the daughter of Sandy and she lives in Hickory Creek, Texas, which is a suburb of Dallas. I was so glad that Pamela and Robin dropped by for a visit at the Herald Office while they were in town.

Leave a Comment