Through The Years From The Herald
• 5 years ago, Feb. 21, 2008 – Water damage at the Blackmur Memorial Library would be repaired using city labor, saving an estimated $60,000. The damage was confined to the 2002 addition, which was constructed by a minority contractor who had since gone out of business.
Yalobusha Supervisors were working on a four-year plan to divvy up nearly $1.7 million in state aid funds to maintain and repair roads and bridges.
The Lady Blue Devils claimed the Region 2-2a division championship during basketball action at Hatley. The Blue Devil boys finished in second place.
• 10 years ago, Feb. 20, 2003 – The Yalobusha County 4-H Junior Swine Judging Team won first place in the Northwest District contest. Members were Brantley Burrell, Mallory Washington, Megan Westmoreland and Courtney Anthony.
Two Vallians, center fielder David Martin and pitcher Drew McGehee, were members of the East Central Community College baseball team.
Area farmers including Daryl and Lindsey Burney of Coffeeville and Larry Wayne and Michelle Kimzey of Water Valley joined with 60 other Mississippi farmers and ranchers to give officials in Washington an account of the state of agriculture “back home.”
• 20 years ago, Feb. 18, 1993 – Coffeeville industry K & D Cultured Marble, Inc. was featured in a business story by Dr. Rayford Edgar, executive secretary of the Yalobusha Economic Development Foundation.
Locals attending the One Hundred Seventy-Fifth Annual Grand Communication of the Grand Lodge of Mississippi F. & A. M. in Jackson included Sam Knox, Tommy Gore, Bill Cotton, Ben Goodwin, Henry Lynch and Billy Knox.
Eligible Yalobusha recipients were to receive two pounds of butter, five pounds of cornmeal, one pound of raisins, two cans of great northern beans and two cans of peanut butter from the Department of Human Services.
• 30 years ago, Feb. 24, 1983 – John and Julie Ingram were pictured on the front page with John’s reserve champion bull at the Dixie National Livestock Show. Julie showed the class-winning early senior heifer calf.
Country singer Johnny Crash, whose name appears to be a take on another, more famous country singer, wrote a letter to the editor thanking Water Valley for the nice reception at Country Music World and for the work done by the Odd Fellows.
New Chamber of Commerce Directors included Eddie Aune, Lettie Blackwood, Sonny Lollar, Floyd McGehee, Chuck Newell and Mrs. Kate Rochester.
Robert V. “Butch” Gordon completed 25 years with Columbia Gulf Transmission Company.
• 40 years ago, Feb. 22, 1973 – Herald Editor Edward B. Shearer was the new State Masonic Grand Master. He was installed during the annual communication of the Grand Lodge of the Order held at the Hotel Heidelberg in Jackson.
More than 100 young people were “sold” during the three-hour period of the Heart Fund benefit Slave Sale. The event raised about $1180 of the entire Heart Fund goal of $2750.
Fred McCracken brought two turnips to the Herald office each weighing about six pounds. One was 28 inches around.
B. C. McCullar wrote that he drove over to Calhoun City to attend the “Coon and Collard” supper. The menu included raccoon, collard greens, sweet potatoes, hot biscuits and sorghum molasses.
• 50 years ago, Feb 21, 1963 – Yalobusha Sportsmen Club officers for 1963 were President Frank Tucker, VP Roy Fly and sec.-treas. Charles Crawford.
• 60 years ago, Feb. 19, 1953 – The Amazing Dr. Marquis was bringing his live stage show to the Grand Theatre to reveal the findings of his 20 years of ghost hunting. Also, slimy creatures would crawl beneath your theatre seat in the darkness and a monster was to be released from his coffin.
The Corps of Engineers was seeking bids on buildings in the Enid Reservoir area. Removal had to be completed by April 30.
School Superintendent J. N. Bell was confined to his home for the week with the flu.
In WVHS fashion news – Elsie White’s black jersey sweater with dolman sleeves looked sweet with a fitted wool skirt or rose and black. And, Billy Gene Larson looked nice in his off-white wool shirt.
• 70 years ago, Feb. 18, 1943 – Dr. Spearman bought the Colson building on Main Street. The ground floor was to be occupied by Mrs. Spearman’s beauty shop and the upstairs by Dr. Spearman’s dental offices. Dr. C. C. Stacy had occupied that space.
Former citizen James Addington was seeing his second war. He served as a petty officer aboard a destroyer in WWI and had just been commissioned a first lieutenant in the Army as a tire repair specialist.
Lt. Howard White, brother of Herman White, was missing in action in North Africa.