Skip to content

Betty’s Week

By Betty Shearer

    Enjoyed a visit with Liz Ferrell, one of Jim’s friends from Delta State years. Liz was a year behind Jim, but they were close friends—both were in the band. She is now at Ole Miss pursuing a law degree. For years she was in Nashville, working for Opryland, WSM, and several other organizations. Then I lost track of her. Before entering law school, she spent the last several years as editor of the  Hartsville, Tennessee Vidette, a weekly newspaper. She brought me a copy of the February 4, 2008 edition. This was the paper following their tornado and she did a great job.
  I said, “At DSU I really thought you were in music and here you spend a lifetime in PR and then in the newspaper business. How did that happen?” She said Jim made her do it. To my surprise she started out as a history major, then changed to music, then back to history. She said Jim said to her one day, “Liz if you’re going to do music, get committed, if not get out so someone else can have the spot. You know there are only so many musical jobs available.” This he knows even better now that he’s been in the business for almost 30 years. A professor once told him that if he was going to move up someone had to die. Jim liked all the low brass folks in the business, so he didn’t want a better job by that method. Liz said she was not willing to be as committed as it took to do music, so she stuck to history. She shared that she loved her paper and the town of Hartsville, but realized she was going to have to make more money that you make with a paper in order to afford retirement. Boy, was she right. Didn’t seem like she should be worrying about this yet, but then I stopped and realized she was right. Jim is about to be 49, so she’s nearing 48, guess if you’re going to make a life change she was to age that it needed to be done. She’s a very smart young lady and I know she’ll make a great lawyer.
  Liz brought me up to date on several other kids in that close knit group of  DSU students. Ed and I thought all of them were part ours, and for three or four years saw them on at least a weekly basis, sometimes a lot more often—depending on how many concerts, recitals, etc. they had going in the week.
  We enjoyed lunch at El Charrito and, as always, it was delicious. Liz promised to come back for more visits and I’m looking forward to that.
  Got to Mom’s in time for supper and found lots of the family there. They’ve learned that Bo is cooking and they come a running. He fed us roast and gravy, mashed potatoes, peas, lima beans, green beans, along with hot biscuits. We had pineapple upside down cake for dessert—I only ate a couple of bites. It was all delicious. Misty and Briley were there and Briley was eating like a little pig—he’s going to get to be a big boy soon, if he keeps this up. He also wants to talk so badly.
    He can say a few words, but gets exasperated because he can’t talk in sentences and then the temper flies. I’m sure we don’t want to know what he saying when one of these spells comes on. Bo says if you knew what he’s saying now you could probably have a spicy column. He’s probably right and we’d also have to spank a cute little boy. Maybe he’ll calm down when he masters talking.
  After the dishes were done, Mom was in bed, and everyone had gone home, I settled in for a night of watching old western TV shows and vintage movies. Mom get Turner Movie Classics, which often shows 30s, 40s, and 50s movies, most of them black and white. They’re fun to watch.
  Friday was a beautiful day and I ventured out a few times—couldn’t go far because I was alone with Mom. Bo and Jimmie went to Memphis early for Bo’s doctor’s appointment.
  When they came back through Sardis Jimmie picked up granddaughter, Caroline. I’d not seen the baby, so she brought her in and thought she’d wake up. The little lady slept for a couple of hours and Jimmie had to go on home, intending to bring her back up to Moms when she woke up. She woke up just in time for a feeding before her Mom picked her up, so I still have not seen her eyes. Jimmie says they’re a deep blue, but will probably turn brown.         Her dad, Michael, has brown eyes, as does sister, Haller Grace, MamMa, great uncles, Bo and Don, and me on our side of the family, and there may be brown eyes on Missy’s side. Doesn’t matter what color her eyes are—she’s a beautiful baby.
  Saturday was another beautiful day, but again Mom and I were alone, so didn’t get much outside time.
  I did prop the door open—needed to. I was cooking and that house got hot.
  Turned Bo’s leftover roast into a pot of beef hash and a pot of vegetable beef soup. We ate the left over veggies with our hash and then dumped the rest into the soup pot.
  In the afternoon I cooked for Sunday lunch. Made a meatloaf with tomato gravy, squash/zucchini casserole, seasoned green beans, baked sweet potatoes, cornbread, and strawberry chiffon pie for dessert. This pie has become a family favorite.
  Had to stop and dig out my sunglasses on the trip home Sunday morning. That sun was so bright that at times I was completely blinded.
  We enjoyed hearing a message from Rev. Franklin Dunn. This was our only service of the day, since Woodland Hills had charge of the nursing home service in the afternoon. This is always an enjoyable service.
  Traveling west on my return trip to Moms, I was able enjoy all the flowers and trees. It’s amazing how long the blooms are hanging on, even with the high winds, rain and often cold nights. Now we have the willows leafing out and the weeping willows are especially pretty. Carolina Jasmine is beginning to bloom and the tulip trees are so pretty. I have a redbud on the back hill that just glows.
  Heard several reports of some fun activities during spring break. I’m glad some folks get holidays—newspaper folks don’t.
  Was sorry to hear of the death of friend, Walt Story. Walt for many years would come down the steps at the hospital to get the papers—always telling me that he’s save me those steps. I did appreciate it. He’d even save me a trip to the hospital if he happened to be in Larson’s when I delivered to them—big help and time saver on Wednesday mornings.
  I know that the EMT staff has missed Walt, as have I. I extend sympathy to his wife, Trudy, his sons, grands, and the entire family.
  Springtime will officially arrive this week and I hope the temperatures will reflect this. I do like this warm weather.

Leave a Comment