Betty’s Week

By Betty Shearer

    The Valley lost one of my favorite senior citizens last week. Mr. John Ashford, father of one of my favorite young fellows, and of Christy, whom I’ve not seen much of in recent years, but know she’s still that sweet girl that I loved in her early years.
  Mr. John always wore a smile and stopped in often for a visit until recent years. I know he’s going to be missed by not only his family, but also his First Presbyterian Church family and his many friends.
  Clay took such good care of his father and also of his mother until her death a number of years ago. Clay and I often reminisce, so I think I know more about his mother than I actually do. Clay has a way of keeping folks alive and I’m so thankful for that. He’s helped me a lot since the loss of Ed and I’m sure we’ll continue to remember Katherine, John, Ed, Ludie and our many other friends who gone on—I do enjoy that.
  Sympathy is extended to Clay, Christy and the entire Ashford family. I’m so sorry that I could not be with you at visitation and the funeral, but I was Mom’s lone caretaker this weekend.
  Another dear friend lost last week was  Eleanor Evans, wife of the late Frank Evans, our long-time Circuit Clerk. For many years Eleanor waited on me at Mechanics Bank. If the bank was not to busy, we enjoyed a short visit at that time.
  Eleanor was another of those people who always smiled and could perk you up if you were having a bad day.
  Sympathy is extended to her son, grands, and the entire family.
  Another death in the Valley last week was that of David Bland, whom I only knew from hearing others talk about him. He’d worked at BorgWarner and the hospital, with many folks whom I do know. Friend Betty Hill was telling us about Mr. Bland last week after prayer meeting and he must have been a tremendous person.
  Then his son came by this morning to place a card of thanks. He was telling me of the tremendous outpouring of love and sympathy for his father. He said his father really enjoyed eating fish at Country Catfish and he would have liked to take all friends over there for a catfish dinner, but finances would not permit. So, he says, I did the next best thing.
    He said he had plenty of fish, so he just had a huge fish fry at his home and that everyone seemed to really enjoy it. I’m sure they did and I know I could see his father’s sweet spirit continuing in this young man. Wish I had known Mr. Bland and I hope to see more of his son. Sympathy is extended to this family.
  I had a run-in with an upset stomach last Tuesday night. Was a bad battle. Think it was just something I ate, but it didn’t want to go away. I did get the paper route done Wednesday morning, made the postal report and bank deposit, but then left Jack all alone. Went home and got on the couch, where I slept for about two hours, before going on to bed to continue my nap until prayer meeting time. After that I came home, ate a bowl of chicken noodle soup and went to bed for the night. For the next few days my food intake was cheese toast and noodle soup. You get pretty weak eating no more than this.
  Went to Mom’s Thursday and Bo had cooked steak and gravy, mashed potatoes, biscuits, peas, fried green tomatoes, and who knows what else. I ate a biscuit, with butter and jelly and it tasted good. But Friday morning I had to send him to the store for Pepto-Bismol. This finally calmed my stomach, but still didn’t eat much on Friday or Saturday. On Sunday morning, I was cooking pork chops for lunch and decided I was hungry, so I ate one, with an egg and half a left over biscuit. Didn’t have to regret it and I was glad.         After that I began eating solid food in moderation and have now regained most of my strength.
  Never was nauseated or had any temp, so still think it was just something I ate—wish I  knew what, because I sure want to avoid doing it again.
  Niece Misty came down with the same problem Sunday morning. She knew what she’d eaten. Some chicken spaghetti she’d left out over night. Now  I know better than to do that.
  Poor Bo got a work out over the weekend. Rance is still on antibiotics and so weak he’s not able to do anything. Bo had to cut his grass and trim all his yard and fence—took most of the day Saturday. On Friday, he’d already picked tomatoes and other veggies for me, gone to the store and done all my other chores. Then he got to help babysit grandson, Briley, Sunday—lots of fun, but also work.
  He was going to cut Bill’s and Jimmie’s grass, but Bill sent him word that he’d get some of his shop men to do it. Bill fell and broke two ribs last weekend, so his yard work is on hold for a few weeks. This is tough on him because he likes to be outside doing something. After last week I know the feeling—I did very little cooking on Friday and Saturday. Did get some tomatoes canned, by working 15 minutes and sitting two hours. You don’t really know how much you miss working until you can’t do it.
  Hang in there Bo, surely we’ll all get well soon—then you can take a vacation.
  Well, I’ve always heard when you have nothing to say or write, the weather makes a good topic.
  It has certainly supplied us with much conversation over the past week. Don’t every remember having lows in the 50s before in August and certainly not highs in the low 80s. A couple of nights I pulled up my quilt and it felt good.
  Also, I noticed a big Magnolia tree on Wise Street this morning with a lot of blooms still on it. When Ed and I married June 19 in 1958, a lot of the decorating was done with Magnolias and they had to really scrap to get enough. I’m sure from the one tree I was looking at this morning you could have decorated a whole church. To get the ones used for our wedding they had the bucket truck picking them out of the tops of large trees.
  Also, all of the trees are still so green (looks like they usually do in late May and early June) and I’ve seen no falling leaves yet.
    The cotton was full of white blooms last Wednesday morning and I know we used to pick cotton in mid-August. We had white on the plants, but it was open cotton bolls and not white blooms. I’m wondering if those blooms will have time to mature. I’ve been away from farming so long that I really don’t know present day scheduling.
  Do remember that cotton needs 80 degree nights for growing really good and I felt for cotton farmers as I enjoyed the delightful north breeze and low temps last week.
  Football season is here and I do miss getting to attend the games. Here’s wishing the Blue Devils good luck during the entire season.

Leave a Comment