Betty’s Week

By Betty Shearer

    Most everyone seems to be in the holiday mode now and none of them more so than the Herald staff. For Christmas and New Years to fall on Wednesdays is just about tough as it gets for us, schedule wise. With this time frame, to get papers out in a timely manner, requires extra hours and moving fast.
    We finished the Christmas greeting section last Thursday and immediately had to begin work on the regular December 26 paper. It’s hard to believe that this is the last edition of 2013. It definitely seems like it’s been a short year, even though we all know that we’ve had 52 weeks—365 days.
  For me it also seems like the past 10 years have been short  ones and then it also seems like forever. The tenth anniversary of Ed’s death will be Sunday, December 29 (was on a Monday in 2003).
  After we finished the greeting section Thursday, I went to Panola County so I could sit with mother and let Jimmie go on home. Jimmie and Bill were hosting the pastor, deacons’ and Wives’ dinner on Friday night and she needed to get home to clean and cook.
  She made it, but I’m sure you can’t open the door on her walk-in closet. Her favorite way to clean house is just pick it up and throw it in that closet.
  I don’t like that method, because I keep my ironing board up and usually the vacuum, broom and dust pan get  parked in my closet, also. There’s no room for junk. I just leave my clutter where it has been dropped—everyone knows I’m no housekeeper. I do try to clear the dining table if company is coming to eat.
  I’m glad she had early parties, though, so the game room is clean and the tables have been cleared—won’t  have to help. I didn’t even help put up and decorate the Christmas tree this year. I do enjoy this, because for the past t10 years I’ve not put up a tree. Really intended to this year, but the weather didn’t cooperate and time ran out. My decorations are some greenery tucked into vases and arrangements that are always out—smells good.
  Backed to our shopping spree. We had intended to go to the Memphis area, Oxford and Tupelo. Sister-in-law Ginny came over to sit with Mom so we could both get out.
  We decided to stay in Batesville—close enough to get home in case of severe weather. Both of us decided that those on our gift lists did not need it if it couldn’t be purchased in Batesville.
  While we were shopping we ran into Brother Rance. I’d out sourced my gift buying for Bo to him and was glad to find he’s found just the right thing. Jimmie will wrap it and Bo’s all taken care of.
  We then went to Plaza Jewelry, which Ed and I used after we no longer had Cooper’s and Bell’s in the Valley. The last gift Ed bought for me, all by himself, was a beautiful Seiko watch, which I wore for years. Still have it and the last time I wound it up it still kept time. I had a terrible respiratory infection that year, felt terrible and was coughing every breath. I was still in the kitchen helping with the cooking, when nephew William came in. He was an asmatic child and used some high-powered medicine. I can take two aspirin and sleep two days. William says, “Aunt Betty I can fix you some cough medicine that will get you well.”
    I said, “Have at it.”
    He mixed up about a fourth of a cup of his combined drugs and I drank it. Jimmie came back into the kitchen just as I had finished William’s brew and asked, “What are you taking?”
    William told her he was going to get me well. Jimmie says, “You know you may have killed your Aunt Betty.”
    Well, he didn’t but I slept for a long time—they all declared it was three days. Know I missed Christmas, but when I woke up I felt good. William didn’t lie—he did cure my ailment.
  Most of you have heard my favorite Christmas gift from Ed—If not, it was a single brick, wrapped beautifully. Was representative of 4,000 which the Hill Brothers would turn into our first beautiful fireplace. Couldn’t have been happier—I’d always wanted a fireplace.
  After we did our shopping, Jimmie and I were so hungry. We went to Zaxby’s, where I had their cajun chicken club, with onion rings. Was delicious. Their onion rings are the best I’ve had since the old Gulf Trail Lodge in Sardis.
    Jimmie had chicken fingers, French fries, cole slaw, both of us had tea, and the bill was less than $15 For this meager sum we consumed enough food for at least four people. I didn’t even  have to eat any supper.
  Got back to the nursing home and I took over Mom sitting. Ginny had a party to attend Saturday night and Jimmie needed to get home to do some more clean-up.
  Mom got a new bathroom. The youngsters are getting gift cards with money and Jimmie has already gotten her gift—a Colonel Reb medallion for the front yard—found it at J’s on Main. Made her happy—both she and oldest son, William, are Ole Miss grads.
  About 6:30 one of the nursing home staff came  into Mom’s room and says, “You might want to turn your TV on and check one of the Memphis channels.”
    I did and didn’t like what I saw. The weather was already very bad in Cohoama, Tunica and Tate Counties. Heard one report of an accident, where the trees down were so back they couldn’t get an ambulance to them. Found out Sunday morning that the stranded couple was a nephew of Becky Surrette York and his wife. I was thankful to learn that they were O.K.
  Mom had gone to sleep about six, so she was snoozing good. Shook her and says, “We have a storm coming and you know that your bed is in front of a wall of windows.” Told her to get her feet on the floor, while I got the walker. She did this very rapidly. Then on the second try she was up and walking to her wheelchair. We were in the hall is probably a minute and a half. Usually takes several minutes.
    Then she was very alert, wanting to know what was going on each time I went to check the TV. I’ve decided that we need a storm alert everyday—sure does make her move better and keeps her brain more active. Got her back in bed about 7:30 and she was soon enjoying snoozing again.
  Had intended on doing some cooking when I got home, but was just drained from the stress and I was also afraid that if I put anything  in the oven the electricity might go off. So just got up early Sunday morning and got most of it done.
  As with the gifts, I figure they’ll eat what’s cooked and like it. This is going to be one laid–back Christmas.
  Celeste and Jim will arrived late Monday. Do have some food cooked for them and they have clean sheets and towels. That’s all I promised. Will be great to be with them—makes Christmas when the kids get home.
  Do hope all of you have a Merry Christmas, filled with the enjoyment of fellowship with family and friends.

Leave a Comment