Skip to content

Betty’s Week

By Betty Shearer

    Looked like Dunn’s Country Store had been deserted by the breakfast crowd last Wednesday morning. Only regular present was Bobby Schmitz and also there was one other patron eating. Couldn’t blame them though—had I not had to get out I’d never have braved that cold north wind. Food at Dunn’s is wonderful, but I’d have eaten almost anything and stayed inside my warm house. Since I was there though, I enjoyed one of their delicious sausage and biscuits and my usual diet Coke.
  Later in the morning Snooky Williams was in and he had had to have fasting blood work so that delayed his breakfast. And with Snooky missing his brother Harold was also absent. Didn’t learn why the rest of the gang was not there.
    Our weather has been most unusual this whole winter. Sunday morning I left Moms early and it was so nice—65 degrees and no wind. I loaded the van in my short sleeves and summer house shoes. Had to find lighter clothes to wear to church. Sunday night was a different story—it was back to winter duds and a coat. Then Monday morning it was spitting snow and that north wind dictated lined wool pants, turtle neck, and my big winter coat again. I’m tired of having to wrap up—never liked heavy coats, scarves, hats and gloves.
  Talked to Jim this morning and he reported nice weather there and said that all the flowers and shrubs were blooming—think it’s time for a visit.
  Friday and Saturday, the mornings were cool in the nursing home, but during the afternoon you really needed the AC.
  I finally got my voice back—could actually sing Sunday morning. Also, made the whole morning service without a cough drop–was so nice. However, with this north wind, eyes and nose are again dripping, so I know that very soon the throat will be sore again and I’ll have trouble talking.
  I have one little clump of daffodils blooming and they’re probably drooping by now. They were so bright and cheerful Sunday morning. Also, the yard was full of robins and several other birds. Still have not seen any cardinals or blue birds.
  Heard glowing reports of the Broken Accordion Concert Friday Night at Bozarts. Composer Reiko Yamada gave a sterling performance of her works that were reported very impressive. Photographs by Carolyn Drank and Andres Gonzales were also said to be great. Sorry I had to miss this exciting performance. Reiko was in Monday morning to get papers to send to her family in Japan.
  A very welcomed visitor to the office Monday morning was Rafael Alvarez of the Baltimore Sun. He was in the Valley for a book signing and to read excerpts from his book, Tales from the Holy Land, short stories about his native city,  Baltimore. The reason for the title is that he’d always referred to Baltimore as the Holy Land. Rafael was headed home and I certainly did not envy him his drive—he was going to have to get through a lot of the snow and ice that had fallen over the weekend. He was very interesting to talk with and I hope he pays us a return visit—he had to be on his way and we had to get busy on this week’s edition, so there was not a lot of visiting time.
  Also in Monday morning was Peggy Whiteside, one of the Valley’s gourmet cooks. She brought me a jar of squash pickles, that I can’t wait to sample. Peggy had sold them at the yard sale last weekend—I surprised I got a jar. She must have hidden it from all the shoppers. Thanks, Peggy, I’m going to enjoy it.
  Many Herald readers have called, or come by, to tell us how much they enjoyed the story about Dr. Paul Odom and his 50 years of medical practice. Several have even bought multiple copies to send to relatives who are no longer in the Valley. I certainly think the tribute was richly deserved and am proud David and Terry Varner made it happen. Congratulations, Dr. Paul.
  Wild and domestic animals were plentiful on my trip over to the NH Thursday afternoon. One of the cutest little beagles I’ve ever seen was among them. He was a smart beagle—think the first I’ve ever seen. Usually these little dogs just put their noses to the ground and go—never looking up—and many are killed. This one kept his head up and when I saw him, I jammed on my brakes. Wasn’t necessary. He stopped in his tracks and even turned around and moved back several feet. Waited until I’d passed, looked both ways, and then proceeded to cross the Eureka Road safely.
  Mom and I spent Friday and Saturday, mostly looking out the window at the beautiful sunshine. Her health is fine and I thank all of you who continue to ask.
  Daylight Savings Time is once again upon us. Don’t forget to set your clock Saturday night before you go to bed. Remember—Fall back and Spring forward. I always want to go the wrong way. Have one clock already correctly set, though. Never change my van clock, so it’s right for DST—I just adjust the other few months.

Leave a Comment