Skip to content

Betty’s Week

By Betty Shearer

    Snooky Williams stopped by early Wednes-day morning to pick up a copy of the Herald. Knew I’d seen him out at Dunn’s Store earlier and when I’m on time, he usually purchases a paper there. His explanation for the second paper was that he’d stopped by his house and left his paper. He says it was cheaper to just buy another one. When I filled my van later in the day, I agreed that the cost of a paper was less than even cranking a vehicle. Gas prices are really out of sync with other prices and everything is too high. I’m not just criticizing local gas prices, either, they’re just as bad in Batesville and I’m there half of the week, so I know. I’m also sure they’re just as high in other surrounding towns.
  Brother Don says they’re having trouble getting gas. My theory on this is that the distributing companies are holding it to drive prices up even further. Greed is going to be the down fall of this country.
  Enjoyed another wonderful Lenten Lunch program at First Methodist Church last Thursday. The musical service was presented by Elizabeth and Barron Caulfield and Clyde Herron, all of whom have beautiful voices. Then we got more wonderful music interwoven into the  very powerful message by Rev. Stacy Douglas,  pastor of FUM Church of Coffeeville. He went from the spoken word to acappela vocals without a bobble. Was amazing and very beautiful. Rev. Douglas has been a youth minister, a minister of music, and a gospel minister during his career. It was evident that at two of these he was excellent and I’m sure he’s equally talented in the youth field. Did enjoy your message in word and song, Bro. Douglas.
  We had barbecue from Dunn’s, which of course was delicious, and I ate at the table with Ruth and Johnny Perkins, Elizabeth and Barron Caulfield, and Louise and Clyde Herron, so the fellowship you know was great.
  I always hate to see these services come to an end and Thursday will be the last for this year. Hope I can make it.
  Jim had a 50th birthday Saturday. His party had been a week earlier because Celeste and he were playing with the Roswell Symphony over the weekend. Jim said they had a great time, but Celeste picked up a horrible cold and was in bed when we talked this morning. Do hope she is well soon.
  Going over to sit with Mom Thursday afternoon, I had to turn on the air conditioner—it was 84 degrees. Then after the storm Thursday night, I needed a coat when I left at 5:30 in the morning. Last time I saw the weather last week, it was predicted to stay warm all weekend, so I took short sleeves. Was glad my rain coat and old fleece jacket stay in the van.
  Traveling Thursday, I found even more trees, shrubs and flowers had bloomed. I don’t think I’ve ever seen so many blooms this early in the year. Even the dogwoods are just about in full bloom and it’s a week and a half until Easter.
  Have had many reports of the hummingbirds being back. Mom’s birds are not there yet, but then Bo and I have not hung up feeders.
  Don and I talked for an hour or so when he dropped by Friday. He’d worked for several trucking companies, including LMT, so when they went out of business a few weeks ago, he had to find other employment. Don has farmed off and on most of his adult life, a job he really enjoys. He was telling me that he was helping one of the Thomas boys (a great-nephew of Cecil and Melvin Ford’s). Don says he’s operating a 16-row rig and the last time he farmed he was only up to eight rows. I questioned how that was done and was told that it’s so easy, he says I could even teach you to run it. The tractor operates by GPS. Don says you sit in an air conditioned cab, in a seat that as comfortable as your den chair and just punch in the coordinates and sit back and the tractor does all the work. You do have to turn it around. Sounds unbelievable to me. Asked what that rig cost and was told about $300,000—is it any wonder blue jeans cost so much?
  We had lots of folk in town for the tax sale, many of whom stopped by to pick up papers. One gentleman ask where to get a vegetable plate for lunch. I told him that B.T.C. had a great plate lunch, and that he could get a wonderful lunch at Larson’s Piggly Wiggly. He wanted to know what I usually ate at B.T.C. Had to tell him that I’d never had their plate lunch. He kidded me, stating, “You live here and you’ve not enjoyed their lunch.” Told him I ate there all the time, but usually I’d  revert to my favorites of their bowl of soup and cornbread, or their wonderful bologna sandwich. Did tell him that I got my veggies though, because on my sandwich I have tomato, cucumber and onion. We enjoyed a good laugh–it’s always great to have folks come to visit our fair city  who are so nice.
  I didn’t get to the archery tournament last week, but heard glowing reports of the people who came to visit our county because of it. Several volunteers were very enthusiastic about this event and said they had a wonderful time, while helping. Do wish I had time to participate in events like this, but we do have to get out a paper and Mom needs me the rest of the week.
  Was so sorry to hear of the death of long-time friend, Hershel Howell, this morning (Monday).
  On Wednesday, March 26, Hershel was at the BP Station when I delivered papers. We spend a few minutes visiting and I was happy that he seemed to feel much better and was in good spirits. We had a great visit and I’m sure glad we got in this last one. Hershel, the late Wallace Odom, and several other hunters would often stop by the office during my early years in the Valley. Don’t know why because none of the Herald staff hunted, but I’m sure glad they did—I loved the stories. Then I got to read Hershel’s books and they were a joy—brought back memories of those early days. We’re all going to miss him and sympathy is extended to Holly, the boys, Trent, Rex, Paul, and Jamie, and the entire family.

Leave a Comment