Skip to content

Betty’s Week

By Betty Shearer

  Delivering the Heralds to the stores Wednesday morning I heard all kinds of comments. Many exclaimed, “What in the world?” others wanted to know if the change was permanent, some actually liked it.             The funniest one was, “Betty did you spill your strawberry Kool-Aid on these papers?”
  Well the pink, as most of you have figured out by now, is in support of Breast Cancer Awareness Month. The change is not permanent, but we will have three more editions on the pink paper—there are three more weeks in October. These colorful, and supportive, papers come to you compliments of Yalobusha General Hospital and Nursing  Home. We thank them for their help with this project.
  Walking down the street early Wednesday I was window shopping as I took papers to B.T.C. Grocery. Saw a cute fall door decoration in The Velvet Glove’s window. They open at ten, so I went back to check on this item.     Questions for owner, Candi Tallant, were: “Can I afford it?”
    It was only a reasonable $12—could certainly make that.  
    Next was, “How much does it weigh?”
    She says, “It’s very light!” Handed it to me and it was, so Mom has a new door decoration. Was great to see Friend Betty Davis there and to find that she is doing well. After our short visit, I checked out all the goodies in the shop and there is a lot to see.    Jimmie says I have to pick her up some cute things for bridge prizes.
  I’m already telling folks in the nursing home where the door hanging came from and many say they’re coming to the Valley to shop.  
  The spring door decoration came from J’s on Main and I’ve been directing shoppers to J’s and all of Main Street for several months.
  Thursday morning I whipped in and parked in my usual parking slot, down near the end of the parking lot, next to the spot Jack uses when he is working. On Thursday Jack does not work so I was a bit sloppy in parking—slipped over about a foot into his space. Snooky Williams was talking to David and called me on the carpet for parking in the wrong spot and being over the line. Told him I was in my spot—lines had been redrawn and new spaces had been added so both Jack and I had moved closer to Railroad Street. My defense in being over the line was that Jack was not coming in Thursday and he didn’t mine me borrowing some of his spot.
  When I started home in the afternoon I found a yellow slip tucked under my windshield wiper. It was a parking ticket, charging me with improper parking, parking in the wrong spot and the list just went on and on down to the fact that my van needed washing. That charge I definitely could not have argued my way out of with the judge—others I might have had a chance of getting him to drop.
    The citation finally did admit that it was not a real ticket, just a friendly prank from a friend.
  Showed it to Brother Bo, who stays on my case all the time about not parking within my lines at the nursing home. He just rolled and says, “I told you eventually someone was going to get you for doing that.” Think he was jealous that he did not think of pulling that great prank.
  With friends and family like those two, who needs enemies.
  A cute note came from Valery White Ward with her subscription renewal. It reads: “How about that Mississippi football this weekend? Exciting for all!” For some of you new comers, Valery is the daughter of Linda and Tommy White and she and her husband, Stefan, live in Keler, Texas.
    Received a  letter from Dr. William E .Sissell, Jr. of Chatham, Mass.
  He tell me: “I enjoyed the visit last spring with you and Mr. Gurner. Thank you for your time.The Herald has been arriving consistently on time, usually on Monday after your mailing. that spaces it out nicely: my subscription to The Week magazine arrives on Saturday, the Herald on Monday, and my local Cape Cod Chronicle on Thursday.
  I have included some added thoughts which you  may choose to share with my fellow Herald subscribers.
Notes from Bill Sissell
the New England cousin
(Dr. Sissell is a cousin of our long-time Out the Mudline writer, the late Bill Sissell of Batesville)
  I had the pleasure of a short visit in Water Valley, this spring, but still time enough for a visit with my three remaining first cousins, a stop at the Herald office, a tour down the enlivened Main Street, and in time to observe the repaving of Main Street.
  Geanie Tyler hosted a luncheon at her home for Margie Williamson, George Webb Williamson, and myself, giving us a chance to catch up with each other and reminisce about all of our late spouses: Crip, Taylor, Mini, and Sherleene. The food and the company were all a treat, especially the fresh Valley tomatoes, since my Cap Cod tomatoes were still a month and a half away from being ripe.
  Because of the Main Street project I had to go in the back way to the Herald, but the welcome was still warm. Jack Gurner gave me an off-handed kind of compliment.     He corrected me on my recollections on the trees in City Park. I had assumed the last and most recent pin oak to be felled was there when I was born across he street in 1933.  Jack says the recently deceased tree was a second generation, I am still sorry the stately tree is gone, but it does mean I have out-lived two generations of trees.         Thank you Jack. I do not, however, expect to outlive the lovely new generation. Tuffy said he couldn’t count the age rings on the old stump anyway. Betty was her usual gracious self, I forgot to tell her that a round of her Pear Honey was on the schedule this summer. That task has been completed with the usual great results. What  Betty’s  recipe does not cite is one critical ingredient, patience. My neighbors, who had never before heard of Pear Honey, are learning to love Betty’s Pear Honey.
  I visited my parents, other relatives, and old friends in the cemetery and I want to recognize the great job the town crew continues to do up on the hill. It always makes for a pleasant visit.
  I have been away from 1009 Main Street for a long time, but always appreciate my visits to Water Valley and the staff of the Herald for keeping me up-to-date on what is happening in the Valley.

  Thanks for writing, Dr. Sissell. Always enjoy your visits and your letters.
  Weather has not been good for the farmers for the past several days. Frankly, I have not enjoyed it either. Thursday night I got no sleep. Went to bed about ten and shortly a thunder storm rolled through, complete with some hail. Was about to get to sleep near the midnight hour when another round of thunder and lightening, along with a downpour came in.Thought sure sleep would be forthcoming around two—not to be—another round of storming passed though Courtland.
    I gave up and rolled out of bed—have to get up at four anyway and I knew if I went to sleep that late it would probably be daylight when my eyes popped open. Dressed and went on to the nursing home. It was still raining pretty hard and this continued most of the day on Friday.
  Rain continued most of Saturday and then I  drove  home in some heavy rain and thick fog Sunday morning.
  Made it home okay and in time to cook breakfast for the class and get dressed. We observed high attendance day in Sunday School and in spite of the inclement weather had 66 present for SS and over 90 for worship service. After morning services a concession stand lunch of grilled hot dogs, nachos and chips, along with brownies, cupcakes and drinks was served. Everyone seemed to have a good time. We all wore blue and don’t think there was a blue item of clothing left in anyone’s closet. Betty Hill remarked that the congregation looked like a pretty sea of blue.
  Football continues with the Blue Devils defeating Holly Springs. They will meet North Panola on the home field Friday night. Good luck team.   Also, both Ole Miss and State won over the weekend, putting State at Number One in the SEC and Ole Miss not far behind in third place. That’s great!

Leave a Comment