Skip to content

Betty’s Week

By Betty Shearer

Didn’t mention in last week’s column that I’d had a bout with food poising.  With so many serious illnesses and even the lesser ailment, like stomach and respiratory viruses, my problem seemed insignificant. However, word did spread far and wide and I do appreciate all the concern expressed for me. I’m fine now—was over the sickness Monday morning, and have now regained all my strength. Food poising is one of the sickest sicks you’ll endure, but thankfully it only lasts a short time.
Wednesday morning was a very enjoyable paper delivery. There were very few folks out and about and I made the route in about 30 minutes less time than usual. Got out to Sylva Rena and think I found lots of the folks there eating. Ate my first solid food of the week—a great sausage and biscuit. After that I’ve been able to eat anything I’ve wanted. I’m sure I’ve gained back the six pounds I lost, and then some.
Before and after prayer meeting Wednesday night we stuck on the candy canes that Woodland Hills hands out early in the morning on parade day. Several years in the past I’ve helped give out these little gifts (candy canes attached to a seasonal message). They have always been well received, as they were this year. I missed getting to help.             Each year we have so many folks who want to donate to our cause. We don’t want money—just hope everyone enjoyed the candy and read the message. If you really want to donate to a worthy cause, though, just  ask and you’ll find many that do need your help. We do have many folks in the Valley area in need during the holiday season and throughout the year.
Going over to Batesville Thursday, I saw several deer on the roadsides. Thankfully, I didn’t kill one. Also, saw a dead beaver on the Pope/WV Road. This is the first beaver I’ve seen in several years. Used to see them all the time—even have seen several in years past standing up on their tail, just waiting to cross the road.  Even with all the inclement weather, wild-life was abundant on the roadsides and even the domestic animals greeted me. Was glad they all decided to stay on the roadsides.
One scary thing I did encounter though, was on one of the very dark nights I came up behind a pickup pulling a trailer. The trailer lights had gone out—he did have them and I’m sure just didn’t  realize they were out. A trailer behind a pickup with tail lights is very hard to see in the dark—you’re looking at the back of the pickup and don’t see the 12 to 20 foot object behind it. Van has great brakes and they held even on the wet road.
On Friday I did not go outside the nursing home except for a quick trip to Hardee’s to get a sausage and biscuit.  Carolyn and Bo stopped by and sat with Mom while I did this. Most of the day was spent very near her. Sometimes Mom decides to get up and walk and this she tries to do  without her walker, so we have to be close enough to catch her.
Saturday night sitter’s daughter is a member of the South Panola band and she came in early to sub for her Mom for a few hours. I got to hear of the trip Friday to Starkville for the state playoffs, which they didn’t get to play until Sunday afternoon. It rained and they had thunder and lightening, so were sent home to return for the game at 4 p.m. on Sunday.  Am so glad that they won and are once again the 6A State Champions. Was sorry to hear that Charleston didn’t win in the 3A division.
Sunday morning we presented our Christmas Cantata, “Great Day” and it was a very beautiful praise service. Patti Goodwin is a wonderful director, and our accompanist, Sammie Cobern at the piano and Barbara Warren  on organ, are the best. Soloists, Danielle Jones and Clemmie Callahand, both have outstanding voices, and the youth and children’s chorus sang so sweetly. All choir members sang beautifully. Our narration by Mr. and Mrs. Nathan Keel was flawless.
Sunday night Bro. Lynn Jones brought a message on the prophets foretelling the birth of the Saviour, which gave hope to those waiting on this event. I, along with everyone else attending, appreciated this message, which concluded a very wonderful day of worship.
Monday morning I had to call the Windshield Doctor. First time I’ve needed them since Gil McMahen ran the business. I still miss him. However, it was great to meet the new owner, Chuck Tatum, son of Luke Tatum. Chuck did an excellent job of fixing my windshield peck. I’ve had the van for over three and a half years and this is the first time I’ve even seen a rock. Was just sure I had it made, since we’d gotten through all the overlaying on Highway 315, and the gravel and log trucks had not been seen lately. The rock came from a vehicle almost like mine—a later model Town and Country Van which was only a shade or two darker. Never thought that I might sling a rock.
It is wonderful to have the Windshield Doctor though, so that the peck can be fixed before it runs and you have to repair the entire windshield.
The Christmas season is here, so be sure to check the paper each week for special programs.
Coming up Sunday will be the Community Band Christmas Concert at 2:30 in the Civic Auditorium. I’m looking forward to attending this—it’s always been one of my favorite holiday outings. Do appreciate Director Butch Stevens keeping this band together and all the members who continue to support it.
Also, at 6 p.m. Sunday night First United Methodist Church will present their Christmas Program.—another favorite, since Ed always sang with this choir.

Leave a Comment