Skip to content

Betty’s Week

For the first time in years I did not deliver  papers on Wednesday. About to recover from bronchitis, David thought it would be better for me to sleep in. Said he’d trade me the early morning shift for the afternoon, when he planned to look for deer. Didn’t set my alarm and was surprised when I finally awoke at about seven. Guess I was catching up on that sleep I’d lost for the past several days, due to coughing most of those nights.  The extra rest did make me feel much better. I do have a great boss, who takes good care of  me.


  Got in an enjoyable visit with Mrs. Ralph Norwood, who came in to find out just where the old Masonic Temple, pictured in last week’s paper, was located. In the morning I forget to check the building locations and in the afternoon  it’s dark before I go home. Did tell her the approximate location—on the right going north up Main before the Shaw Boarding House (now the Holloway building).

  Mrs. Norwood was often at her father, Mr. Greenlee’s store, and remembers more than I do about early Main Street, so we discussed the fun times in the Valley in my early days here. We recalled all the businesses staying open very late on Saturday night, folks attended movies in the Grand Theatre (missed that—it burned before  I arrived in the Valley).

Those coming into the Valley arrived early, parked their pick-ups facing the stores and their cars facing the street and would leave them parked all day and into the night. After shopping they’d sit and people watch, maybe go for lunch, go to the movies or to one of the drug stores for a soda. We sold office supplies, took job orders and folks paid their subscriptions—yes we stayed until midnight just like the rest of the merchants. Saturday was a really busy day for all of us.

  We remembered Ray’s and all the other department store sales and they were great—just like you see in the old movies, where it’s almost a  mob scene, with so many customers you could barely move and merchandise being snatched from each other. It really did happen folks. The movies on Saturdays were mostly westerns and we both admitted to enjoying these. 

  When remembering these early days, I’m amazed that everything we wish we had today, we had back then. 

Several great department stores, great 5&10c stores, Western Auto, many outstanding  grocery stores, furniture stores, three lumber yards, several hardware stores, appliance stores, several cafes, a boarding house, hotel, feed store, several car dealerships, tractor dealerships, an olympic size swimming pool, skating rink, and the list just goes on and on. The reason all these wonderful things have disappeared is that they were not supported by the residents  here. I’ll join Mickey Howley in urging everyone to shop locally if we want to keep what we’ve got (and I can do this and not be a hypocrite, because I buy everything I can locally). But almost everyday I hear discussions of shopping on-line, the bargains they get, shipped right to their door free, etc. 

Well, this may be true, but if you need a med in the middle of the night will they get up and get it for you (Turnages always has and I’m sure they still will if it’s really needed) and I suspect that if it was a real emergency Don Larson, would take care of you, as would Joey, Butch, Larry, and all the other local folks.

  Larry Bell was in this morning and we were discussing the doctors who made house calls. He said that once he was very sick and it was in the middle of the night. His father called Dr. Spears and he came out gave him a shot and reported that if he lived until midnight he would probably get well. Said Dr. Spears waited with the family until they knew he was going to be okay. 

Dr. McMillan also made house calls when necessary, probably until his death. Jim got very sick one night and Ed called Mabry— he said bring him by the house—we were at the  office and on our way home. When we arrived he was sitting on the carport with his bag. Examined Jim, gave him a shot and he soon was resting comfortably. Mabry also made a few house calls, as did Dr. Spears. Dr. Walker, even after he retired, told me if I needed him to just knock  on his back door. 

In high school Jim got food poisoning. We took him to the emergency room at the hospital and Dr. Harold Sexton was on duty—another wonderful doctor. However, Dr. Walker heard that Jim was ill, found Ed, while he was at the drug store getting meds that Binnie had come down in the middle of the night to supply, and volunteered to come look at  him. 

Ed assured  him that we were being well cared for by Dr. Sexton, but  the offer was certainly appreciated. All of these men have gone to be with the Lord. However, we still have a good medical staff in the Valley and we appreciate them.


  Mom and I watched the rain and the birds for a couple of days and nights from her nursing home room’s window. She was feeling good, ate well, and seemed to be fine. My cough had stopped, but I still did not have  much energy and food did not taste good. Did find one dish that was very tasty, though. 

Mel and I had enjoyed lunch at Hometown Pizza Thursday. Greg had made fire roasted tomato and basil soup and it was delicious. After eating way to much for lunch I ask if there was more. There was and he fixed me a to-go serving of soup, along with some of his delicious chicken salad. I had a couple of meals from the soup and a couple more from the salad. Took my cornbread and cheesecake and ate very well all weekend. Did enjoy that wonderful soup and appreciate Greg and the staff.


  Heard that the tour of homes on Saturday night was wonderful. I really wanted to visit all these homes. The home of Mrs. Mildred Lee, who was a favorite friend (she was bookkeeper at Blu-Bucks) was one of the four.  This home is presently owned by Dr. Gil and Jerri Anne Burks Davis. Mrs. Lee often rooted roses and shared them with us. When we went by there was usually a snack and a Coke or coffee. She was a wonderful person. 

Also on the tour was Sara Nell Champion’s home, built by the late Adalade McLarty. We watched it during the time it was being built. After completion, we often visited Miss McLarty. After the Champions bought it we still had visiting privileges. Mrs. Yvonne Vance gave us a tour of  her home many years ago and the history there is most interesting. 

Only was in the front parlor of the Wagner house and really don’t know why we never toured it because we knew Robert and Kathryn Litton, who lived there for many years, and were often on the front porch. 

  Jerri Anne, present owner of the Lee home, was just in and shared some of the left over goodies from the tour with us. She says i can come by and visit her home when my schedule permits—Thanks so much Jerri Anne.


  The Christmas parade had to be postponed, due to the rain, but hopefully it will be gotten in on Saturday. Maybe if I can find a sitter I’ll get to see it.

Leave a Comment