Skip to content

Betty’s Week

Making the paper deliveries Wednesday, I got to wish everyone a happy New Year—knew it would probably be 2017 when we next met. Main conversation topic was the weather. We all agreed that during the Christmas holiday and the predicted temps for the upcoming New Year celebration were more like Easter and Memorial Day expectations. 

Watching the weather news Saturday morning there was a slight chance of mixed sleet, snow and ice for this coming Friday and Saturday, but this morning (Monday) that had been removed and I’m glad. We might be exchanging weather patterns though. On the Sunday morning following Easter in 1964 the temperature was 37 degrees. I remember it well because Ed and I were taking home our first child and Ed and I were wearing our heavy winter coats and Jim was wrapped in a heavy blanket—I think it was the only time he ever required a blanket. 

However, most of that year had been cold, because on December 22, 1963, we had a 16-inch snow which stayed on the ground for a long time. I had lots of cute spring maternity clothes that I never got to wear—wools and sweater duds felt good the whole spring.

  Often get to visit with Snooky Williams about eight on Wednesdays. He’s arriving when I dash out the back door to take papers to B.T.C. Don’t know how he does it but he always has something interesting to talk about, or a funny story. As we rounded the corner onto Main Street, he looked down and says “Have you ever noticed that piece of concrete?” 

Had to admit that I had not. He says, “It’ been there about three years.” Then he pointed to the building across the street and says, “It came off the top of that building, which was struck by lightening.”  

On closer examination of the piece lying at my feet, I realized that it did have white paint and was the exact shape of the missing piece on the building. I remarked that I was glad we were not standing where we were when that happened.  Snooky grinned and replied, “Betty, if we had been I don’t think we’d be having this conversation.” 

We do need to remember to count  our blessings.


  We did not have services on Christmas night at Woodland Hills and also Wednesday prayer meeting, following the holiday, was cancelled. I don’t like missing church services, makes the week seem a month long. However, I’m glad that families with visiting children and other relative got to enjoy these times. Occupied my time with cooking. That’s not good, because when I cook I overeat. I taste each dish (several times) and lick every pan—probably gained several pounds. 

  Brother Terry of Brandon, and his daughters, Nita and Lisa Gail, along with her son, Seth, were unable to come Christmas Day, so they came up Saturday. We had a wonderful visit. After lunch at the Cole home, we all went up to visit with Mom and Terry also enjoyed visiting with our second cousin, Charley Ward Bridges, also a resident in the Batesville nursing home. 

Charley, Terry and I were the three musketeers as we were growing up. I was the oldest, Charley was in the middle, and Terry was the youngest. Earlier in the week Charley and I had been reminiscing about our early years.

He says, “Betty Jane (know it’s family when I hear this), it’s a wonder we are here today.” We discussed frog gigging and the fact that we never thought of danger. We grew up in the Delta and moccasins were everywhere and we saw a few of them—didn’t stop our fun. We also encountered other bad snakes along with bobcats, skunks, and other bad critters and never thought about the fact that we were in danger.  

We played in the ponds, which were filled with snakes, often with water over our heads and none of us could swim. We had an old home-made boat that leaked, especially after a long dry spell. The boat often sank and we would just leave it on the bottom until the water went down, then bail it out, tie it to a tree, and wait until the next big rain, when we could ride in it again. We also had egg fights in the cotton fields—none of us lost an eye from flying eggshells. 

We also played Superman off the barn, using a towed to fly with—no broken bones, only got sprained ankles. I stand there with these two cute little boys (as I remember them), both now in wheelchairs and I’m still so healthy. Miss these two but I’m glad they both still have pretty good memories. Charley says, “We can talk about those early days, but just don’t ask me what I had for breakfast.”

  We had lots of missing family members for the gathering on Saturday. Ginny and Rance both were very sick; Gina, Don, Madison, Woody and Wallis, had other plans. Missy and Michael and Caroline have moved to Amory and were  getting settled in the new home—we’re going to miss them. 

Don’t know where Karen, William, Harris and Ian were and, of course, Celeste and Jim did not get to come home this year. Celeste’s Aunt Nancy (her father’s sister) from Miami, Fla. was visiting and Jim had to play during the holidays. Hope to see them in the spring. Did enjoy a phone visit.


  For the second week in a row, I drove home in horrible weather after my weekend stay with Mom at the nursing home in Batesville. There was a fine mist—just enough to mess up the windshield—and fog. The fog was intermittent—clear for a few miles then like pea soup. Fortunately, there was very little traffic and I was early enough to miss those who had celebrated too much. Did have to deal with one deer, who passed in a clear spot about a 100 feet in front of me. I drove very slowly on the entire route.


  On Monday morning David and I worked on the paper with few interruptions. However, most of the Main Street businesses seem to be open, with business as usual.

 I have had one visitor, Mary Lou Jones, who is missing her cat. He’s black, so if you see a wandering black cat give her a call—she has an ad in the paper. Know how traumatic it is to have a missing pet.


  Do hope everyone is having a good New Year and had a good celebration. My celebration was to watch the new year come in on TV at eleven in New York and then again at 12 in Memphis. I also enjoyed a glass of grape juice.

  Just received  my Happy New Year Greeting from Celeste and Jim, who were on their way to Alamogordo to attend the funeral of a friend. My land-line phone has been out for sometime now, so they finally caught me at the office. I never answer my cell—don’t talk when I’m driving, can’t hear it over Mom’s talking in the nursing home, and never know where it is at home. Jim says our talking time is limited to 8:30-5 Monday-Wednesday and 8:30 to shortly after noon on Thursday. It’s always great to visit with them— it gets the new year off to a fun start.

Leave a Comment