Skip to content

Betty’s Week

The Woodland Hills ladies group met for their monthly luncheon Thursday at Home Town Pizza. This was the second meeting I have been able to attend and was not surprised when I entered late and Greg says, “You are the first one here.” Thought, yes and I’ll probably be the only one that shows up. Rain was really coming down. It was a beautiful day the other time I got to attend and only five or six attended. Well, he then laughed and says, “No there is a large group and I have y’all in the back room.” Well I had to have directions to the back room and he was surprised that I’d never been back there, so he just led the way and that place is big… I didn’t drop bread crumbs, but I did find my way out when the gathering ended. 

Food, as always, was great. Saw some dishes the other ladies had ordered that I didn’t know were available—I always eat the same thing and never look at a menu. Now I plan to check out a few new dishes. After we’d finished eating Greg says, “I’m singing on karoake night Friday, want to hear me rehearse?” 

Sure, I did—never turn down a chance to hear good music. He sang an Elvis tune and he has a wonderful voice. Margie Pilcher was still there and she stayed to listen, also. We were both very impressed and told the other ladies what they’d missed, so they all want him to sing for us next time we’re there. He’s promised to entertain us—he’ a really great guy and we do appreciate his hospitality.


  After the meeting I left work, went home to get ready for the trip to Batesville nursing home for my weekend stint caring for Mom. The rain got even harder and after waiting as long as possible and still get there by four, I left in the downpour. It rained like that from my driveway until the city limits of Batesville. Crossing on Pope/Water Valley Road, I ran in two rivers. The road is cupped and the water just runs down the ruts. I drove in the center of the road whenever possible. 

However, you do have to move into the rivers when going up a hill, around a curve or meeting a car. Then, on Eureka, the road was covered in water from the hard rain and periodically you had to run across another river from water coming from the high side of the road to the lower and often this was pretty deep. It took me about 45 minutes to make a 25 minute trip and I did not feel safe on any part of this journey.

    Early Saturday morning I went down to Walmart—Mom was out of several items. After I returned the sun came out and it was a beautiful day. Prediction was for stormy weather  starting in the early evening until early morning on Sunday, so I wanted to  leave early and miss all the bad weather. Went outside about 7 and the sky was still full of stars, so I stayed until our sitter arrived at 8. 

Got home and unloaded the van before the rain began. Don’t think it stopped all night and about midnight we did have a thunder storm. It rained all day Sunday, but this morning (Monday) we again had sunshine, along with cooler temps.

  Was so sorry to learn of the tornadoes in the Hattiesburg/Petal area, with four killed, many  injured, and a lot of structural damage. Also, there were more deaths and destruction in Georgia. We’ve been there and know how to sympathize and assist.


  On Friday I watched the entire inaugural festivities. May have been my first, certainly my first in many years. I was impressed with the courage and the respect of the outgoing president and the president-elect, and all other dignitaries and spectators. There was some trouble in other parts of the capitol, but the ceremonies, parade, and balls were all trouble free. President Trump called us all on the carpet for not doing what needs to be done to bring America back to it former greatness. He’s right—politicians have done what would benefit them, industry has done what would benefit it, and we, the public, have allowed it to happen. He made lots of promises and I hope he can keep just part of  them—however, we all know that it will take cooperation from other political leaders and all of us too.


  Our Sunday night service at Woodland Hills was a study of Norway. This is the country featured in our Lottie Moon Mission Program for the year. Realized how little I know about this country. I’ll pass on a bit of what we learned. Norway is about twice the  size of Mississippi—I know that is about the size of new Mexico. It has a population of five million and is a very wealthy nation. This is because of vast oil reserves—didn’t have a clue about this. Taxes are very low and it considers itself self-sufficient because they have money to buy anything they need, so they don’t depend on God. There is only one Southern Baptist Mission-ary family in the country—there are some other denominations there. The people are hard to get to know—they don’t like strangers and are very standoffish. However, it is a very beautiful country, so many people visit there. They have a long coastline, many inland rivers, lakes, water falls, and the Northern lights are visible (makes me want to go). The climate is cold and days are short, but wildlife is plentiful—we were not to told of the hunting regulations. Drink of choice is coffee and they have more coffee shops per capital than any other place on earth. We were treated to some of the native dishes and several of these featured rice (Didn’t understand this because I’m sure this produce is not grown locally) . Of course fish is plentiful so fish dishes are a specialty and we were served meat balls (made with beef), but in Norway they probably featured elk (my absolutely favorite meat) or other wild game. Becky York, our mission chairman, prepared the food and she did a great job. My favorite dish was creamy rice (a rice pudding with a mousse twist)—it was delicious. Her husband Travis manned the coffeeshop. Speakers were Travis, Cindy Dickey, and Bud McCluskey—all excellent teachers. Becky coordinated the entire program and we appreciated all her hard work.

Leave a Comment