Skip to content

Betty’s Week

 On the return trip from Dunn’s last Wednesday morning, the sky was beautiful. The clouds were the perfect pink color of cotton candy. I’m not a fan of cotton candy, but had I been my mouth would have been watering.  I just enjoyed the beauty.


  Reading Coulter’s column last week, apparently she did not understand what I wrote about the mobile  home park situation. To make it perfectly clear, I have no intention of leaving the Valley. I was just stating the fact that where I live the park would never bother me one way or the other, and if it does I have places to go. Barring an illness that makes it necessary for Celeste and Jim to care for me, you are all stuck with me. And to clarify my view of mobile home parks, I have no problem with them if they are managed properly. All of my family, except for my youngest brother and me, have lived in mobile homes, three of them in mobile home parks. Brother Rance and his wife, Ginny, lived in  what I think was the first mobile home park in Oxford. It was a spawning  area, beautifully landscaped, with everyone there almost like family. They had neighborhood parties and were all so congenial. 

Brother Bo lived in several, when he worked for Boyd Construction, and I never heard a complaint. Brother Terry lived in a large park in  Jackson and shortly after he and his wife moved in, he suffered a collapsed lung. The neighbors took their two little daughters and cared for them until Jimmie and I could get there. They were all so helpful.

Then Bill and Jimmie lived in  a mobile home for several years shortly after they married. It was parked in a private home’s back yard and Ed and I spent a lot of time there. It was next to the Panola County Airport and Ed worked there on weekends, paying for most of his private pilot’s license. 

  Then years later Jim lived in a mobile home park in Cleveland during his last two years as a student at Delta Sate University and, of course, we spent lots of time there. It was located on a small lake and all the homes were parked on concrete pads, with parking pads for their vehicle. The park was very pretty. 

Terry, Jimmie, and Jim all owned their home, but Bo and Rance lived in homes provided by the parks—all were quite comfortable. So you see I have had nothing but good experiences with mobile home parks. However, I have seen many that were not up to par and I would object to this.


  David Burke brought by a loaf of Anne’s freshly baked bread shortly before I was leaving to go to Mom. He said he’d already eaten his, but he was sharing this one with me. It was delicious and I really enjoyed the treat—these treats are especially welcome when you’re sitting in the nursing home, with not much to eat. Thanks Anne and Bill for being such good friends. Also Anne, thanks for the kind words.

  Jason Swinkowski, one of Anne’s and David’s young friends and a fellow member of Woodland Hills, was telling us that Anne was giving him bread baking lessons—boy that sounds like fun.


  Have a few notes I’d like to share:

  Dolores and Paul Morin of Bridgeview,  Ill., say they miss us all and they are doing fine. They were such sweet folks and we always enjoyed visiting with them. I bought several of their classified ad sales items and each time I see one of them it brings back good memories. 

  From Mary Shepherd came this note: Thanks for making it possible for me to receive your paper. I have friends and relatives in Water Valley. I am Wallace Forsyth, Jr.’s sister (Mary Lou Forsyth). Have a happy New Year. Dot and Wallace were dear friends for many years—of course Dot still is even though we don’t see each other often. It was good to learn who Mary Shepherd is. Thanks for writing—I’m sure many of your family and friends will be glad to hear from you

  It was good to have just a short note from Chesterfield  Brown, Jr., who lives in The Villages, Fla. He is a brother of Bonnie Parsons, Mack Brown, and another sister, whose name I can’t remember. His father, Chesterfield, Sr.,was a barber in the Valley for many years. He tells us that he enjoys the paper very much—thanks for the note and we appreciate the compliment.


  On Sunday I spent most of the afternoon outside with bare feet, shorts and a t-shirt—it’s hard to believe that was the 12th day of February. I leave my front porch light on day and night and the bugs do make a mess. They make tight little webs that are hard to sweep away. 

This took a couple of hours and then the flooring is rough brick, which is almost as hard to clean. I have one window in the den, which fronts on the porch—it didn’t get cleaned. Know Sunday is a day of rest and I shared the cleaning with stints on the sofa.


  Jim has been on a tour of some of Texas with El Paso Brass. They traveled in Airstream travel trailers. For years I wanted to buy one of these and Jim says, “I’m glad we never had enough money to do that because I much prefer flying to the destination and then staying in a good hotel.” 

The tour ended at the Texas Music Educators Association in San Antonio. He reported that the entire  tour was great, but he and Celeste, who had joined them at TMEA, were glad to be home. Of course, Mom is always glad to hear that they are home safely.


  Hope everyone had a wonderful Valentine’s Day.

Leave a Comment