Skip to content

Betty’s Week

Carly and Cody Reed of Carbondale, Colo., granddaughter and grandson of Mrs. Maxine Carter, visited in the Herald office last Monday. Their mother is Susan Carter Reed. We had a great time sharing stories that I had heard from a friend of Mrs. Maxine, the late Ludie Appleton, about their grandmother and they shared some of their memories of her earlier days. 

Mrs. Maxine, who will celebrate her 101st birthday in October, is a resident at the Yalobusha County Nursing Home. She is still very sharp and enjoyed playing poker in past years. However, she cannot find any opponents in the nursing home and her grands wonder if anyone would like to visit her and enjoy a game now and then. They think she would really like this. 

They purchased a subscription for her and also picked up a Watermelon Carnival Program for her to enjoy. On Wednesday, before leaving for home, they stopped by for a copy of the Herald and promised to visit me again when they come for the birthday celebration in October. They are such delightful young folks and I’m looking forward to their return visit.



Other visitors at the office early last week were Mr. and Mrs. Jay McKay. I failed to find out their home address. They were looking for a little white Baptist Church in the country with a cemetery close to it. They had attended a wedding there many years ago. I’m not a good reporter, because again I failed to ask whose wedding it was. They were sure it was close to Water Valley. 

After they left I remembered that O’Tuckolofa had built a new church and the early church was, I think, white and they have a cemetery. I hope they come back. Some of their related families were Person and Robertson. I told them about James Person and Joy Person Windham along with Betty and Loomis (who died recently) Robertson who  now live in Oxford. Hope they made contact with some of them. They were a lovely couple and we enjoyed visiting.



Last Tuesday we got a paper out the old timey way, without phones, internet, fax, and other modern day equipment. Made it without any delay and the paper seemed fine. No complaints so far. Fortunately we have a 5 p.m. Monday deadline, so most of our copy was in and ready before the interrupted service. We were just glad it didn’t happen on Monday. Someone apparently hit a fiber optic line on Hwy. 7 in Lafayette County and service was disrupted in several counties. Didn’t hear of any bad circumstances caused by the service outage. After thinking about it though, I was worried about folks with serious illnesses or emergencies who could  not reach 911, ambulance service, or even family or friends. That’s scary.



Got to the prayer meeting Wednesday night and got a shock. Someone asked for prayer for Barbara Warren and not having been in church the previous Sunday, I was completely out of touch. 

So I asked, “What’s wrong with Barbara?” 

To my surprise her father, Mr. Henry Brummett, had died Saturday. I had called Barbara earlier on Saturday to get her to sub for me on Sunday and apparently there was nothing wrong then, so I was shocked at the news. 

Of course, I had left home, gone to the Batesville Nursing Home and was out of pocket until Monday morning and I’m sure everyone just assumed I had heard about his death. Sympathy is extended to his wife, Sue; Barbara (Billy) and her siblings; grandson Lynn and the rest of the grands and great-grands.



When I arrived home Sunday night I heard of long-time friend, Ernie Aune’s, death. As I set Ernie’s obit Monday morning, I realized that I could have almost written it without copy. We had, through the years, talked about our early years, then Ernestine during her illness, had  kept up with his children and my child—I always enjoyed hearing what was happening in the lives of his and he wanted to hear what Jim and Celeste were doing. 

I’ll miss keeping up with David, Eddie, Kelly and Kris, their spouses, the grands and their spouses. I’m also sure he had some more great war stories, bank stories, and stories about life in general that I’ll never get to hear. It’s a shame he didn’t write a book. Sorry that I didn’t get to visitation or the funeral but I, along Jim, extend sympathy to the family.



Going over to the nursing home in Batesville on Thursday, I had a pleasant drive. My van’s air conditioner was again working and cool air sure does feel good. Mom had a good night Thursday and we also had a great day on Friday. Met a new nursing home resident, Rusty, and cousin Charley Ward Bridges had shared some of my cornbread with him.  

When I was leaving Friday night, he says, “I got a sample of your cornbread, when are you baking some more?”  

I had extra sitting duty on Sunday, so I cooked more bread and plan to bake some more Wednesday night. Little things that make folks happy are a joy to do.


 Coming on home Friday night, I came up  on a pickup parked in my lane. One man was sitting in the truck and another was on the shoulder, holding a tiny little fawn. I’m sure they had hit the mother and were trying to decide what to do with the little baby. I eased around them and continued on my way home. After a few minutes I realized that I should have stopped and told them about Nancy Fachman’s rescue and rehabilitation of wild animals. Talked myself out of going back, reasoning that they’d be gone when I got back to the spot I had seen them—still have a guilty conscious.



 Well, the time has arrived. Watermelon Carnival Week-end is coming up. I’ll miss most of it. I have already bargained with one of our sitters to sit on Thursday night so I can attend the Town and Country Garden Club’s Music Fest. Traded her for Friday night, so I’ll have to miss the Mechanics Bank’s fireworks display, which I do enjoy so much. I was also looking forward to a visit with Scoot Taylor and his family—we’d decided to watch from our parking lot again this year. 

I’ll also miss my visit with the Davis/Perkins clan. Oh well, it seems I can’t do everything. The weather prediction looks good, so I hope everyone has a good time at the Carnival.

Leave a Comment