Skip to content

Betty’s Week

 Was so sorry to hear of the death of long-time friend, Dr. Rayford Edgar early last Tuesday morning. He was the final surviving member of the Generation Gap, the first band I remember Ed playing with. They were a tremendous group of musicians and so much fun to be around and  to hear rehearse. I rarely got to one of their performances—the Herald was open six days a week back then (and we kept late hours) and so if Ed was out I had to keep shop. 

Dr. Edgar was also my optometrist and I always enjoyed my visits—he kept my eyes in good condition, as he did for most folks in the Valley. When the Community Band was formed, Teresia, Dr. Edgar, Stanley and Becky Crow, and Ed were the primary organizers. I got to sit in on most of the planning meetings and these were fun—they even let me call some of the prospective members. 

The last time I saw Dr. Edgar was at the Thursday night Town and Country Garden Club’s Music Festival and he played his drums as enthusiastically as ever. Enjoyed our friendship throughout the years and will miss him so much, as will all of Water Valley. Sympathy is extended to Teresia, daughter Jayne, son-in-law, Keith River, and grands. Jim sends his sympathy—we both loved him.


There is no rhyme or reason to traffic patterns in Water Valley. Wednesday morning at both crossings on the bypass (315, four times, and 32, a couple of times) I had to wait through from four to eight vehicles ahead of me and about the same in the other five lanes. On all the streets and highways traffic was heavy. The week before there had been very little traffic. Maybe school opening makes that much difference.


 Going over to Batesville Thursday I must have missed  most of the school buses and other vehicles, because I only had to stop for one bus and it was coming towards me.

Got to the nursing home with a break in the rain. Going over I had run through three heavy rain showers, with spots in between  where the road was completely dry. For a lot of this year our rain showers have been spotty, but often heavy in the spots they are falling.



Many of you who were in last week knew that Mel had surgery on Tuesday. She was back at work on Friday and doing pretty good, but will  have a check up and stitches that have to come out Wednesday. We hope everything goes well but lets keep her on our prayer lists.


Mom celebrated her 103rd birthday last Tuesday in the nursing home. She was born August 8, 1914, and she will tell you this, but when asked by one of her CNAs how old she was, she  promptly replied 14. Now for many months she has been telling everyone she was 45. So when the question was asked, I quietly said 45. When the 14 came out we really had a great laugh and Mom took offense and says emphatically, “I know my birthday is August 14 and I was born in 1914 and I’m 14.”  


We had her birthday party on Saturday. It has become a birthday celebration and a family reunion for both sides of the family. However, the number gathering has dwindled over the past few years. Mom only has two nephews left and they, along with their spouses, were present. One great nephew was there. All six of her children were in attendance, along with three of  the four living spouses, three of her seven grands with with two of their spouses, and five of her eight great-grands. Also had a few friends present.


Jimmie had tried to contact many of these folks and had not had any luck. She said, “Maybe we don’t need to cook so much,

”I didn’t listen to her. They all showed up—had seen notice of the event posted on Facebook by Niece Misty. Even with most of the crew coming, we had enough food left over to feed many others. I had cooked pot roast, as had she,  with potatoes, carrots, onions, and gravy. She had taken care of the veggies—peas, corn, lima beans, green beans, and mashed potatoes. I fried chicken and okra, made biscuits and cornbread. Earlier I had cooked desserts—cheesecake, choc-olate pies, lemon pies, and banana pudding. Brother Rance had made cherry pie and either he or Bo had deviled eggs. 

Robert Montgomery has just delivered Agnes’ banana cake, which looks delicious, so gave him Jimmie’s warning that he’d better have some of their good chow-chow for the next pot of peas she cooks. Usually a first cousin, who died during the past year, provides this for the reunion. Jimmie just knew I’d have a jar, made by Agnes and Robert, when I arrived. Our peas did not taste as good this year.

The entire Herald staff appreciates all the goodies these two supply, and my family also enjoys it very much. I often share some of Agnes’ desserts with Mom and she loves them.


With Watermelon Carnival past and school underway, we have only football booster page advertising to look forward to for a few weeks. There will be many events for everyone’s enjoyment that will be publicized, but most of these do not require advertising space—wish they did.


First game is this Friday night. Good luck to the Blue Devils.

Leave a Comment