Skip to content

Betty’s Week

Last Monday night the Yalobusha Baptist Association’s fall meeting was held in Camp Ground Church. It’s always wonderful to visit in this church—it’s like going home. Went in the back door and visited with all the ladies in the kitchen and was right at home as I’ve spent many hours there. Was good to see Paulette Dennis, Kay Callahand, and many others. 

Then I went to the sanctuary and sat with Jan and Jim Ward. Caught up with their lives, especially Jan’s health. She seems to be so much better and for this I’m grateful—prayers are being answered. Shortly into the service the lights went out. Was surprised at how well we sang without being able to see hymnals. Music Director Michael Callahand had selected familiar hymns and we sang the first and last verses and it was beautiful music. Pianist Betty Appleton must have had these songs memorized because she didn’t miss a note. All the reports were given and the service went smooth, even in the dark. Moderator Jimmy Berry did an excellent job of keeping the program on track. Woodland Hills Pastor Bro. Lynn Jones delivered the message by the light of a cell phone—always knew those things had to be good for something. I have one, hate it, and only use it when absolutely necessary.


Was in line for the food with Kelley Pullen and we had a delightful visit—she’s one of my favorite kids. Light for the food tables was provided by  living candleholders (several of the beautiful women of the church). There was enough food to feed Yalobusha County and it was all delicious.  Left Kelley and went over to sit with Bro. Lynn and Danielle, who were leaving for a vacation middle of the week. Found they were going to Orlando, which shocked me, but they assured me they had checked and all was okay. Know they needed a break but we sure do miss them when they are gone. 

Seated on the other side was Terry Champion, who informed me that he’d be preaching for us on Sunday. Love Terry so was glad that I was going to have opportunity to hear him speak. He brought the Gideon message, along with God’s word. He’s an excellent speaker and everyone at Woodland Hills enjoyed hearing him. 


Enjoyed a visit from Mother’s (Ed’s) next door neighbor on Prospect Drive, Sandra Quinn. Guess she was also my neighbor, although I never lived in the house, but did have to keep it up for many years.  She has suffered with a broken ankle since May and I didn’t even know it. These last few months have been very busy and I’ve been mostly confined to the Herald office and the nursing home with Mom. 

Sandra needed visitors (which I would have liked to have been) because she had to stay inside and I know that was hard during these lovely hot summer days—she  is an outside gal.



Another visitor I enjoyed seeing was Jerri Anne Davis , who was opening her home (the Mildred Lee Home) on Blount Street during the Art Crawl. I really wanted to visit this house and got home in time to do so. Just completely forgot to go. I’ve heard that the vintage painting and photos there were excellent—done by many of the early artists and photographers in the Valley. Many of them were/are close friends. Jerri Anne was an accomplished gymnast and when she was just a tiny little girl she used to perform for us at the office—she could literally turn into a little ball. Don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone else so agile. She smiled and stated, “Yes, that’s probably why I’m now having back problems.” Probably so, because she certainly overworked that little back—but she was so cute.



Opened subscription renewals (back to back) from two long-time Jackson area friends—daughters of two of my favorite ladies, Mildred Bell and Ludie Appleton. Mildred’s daughter, Mary Belle Spivey Lundquist, lives in Jackson; and Ludie’s, Ann Appleton Laster, is a resident of Raymond. They asks that their greetings be extended to all their friends and relatives here. With Mom’s gone, we rarely see these two so it’s always good to get even a short note.



Another note came from Betty Appleton, who enjoyed my engagement ring and proposal story. Says that Charley never proposed to her either—just says, “We’re getting married.” Betty wanted to know more of  our courtship. Well, the rest was pretty normal, I guess. Mother-in-law Dolly Ruth, probably would not agree, since she had to put up with me many days and nights during the 14 months we dated. Ed always had to work, so  he’d just pick me up, bring me to the Shearer home, and we’d work together. 

I learned a lot about the newspaper trade before I became a  part of the staff. The guest room was my room and Mother (called her that from the beginning) never complained, but I’m sure she got tired of having company. Our dates were trips to the dam for picnics and swimming in the spring and summer, football games in the fall, (Ed was the photographer) so then I became Daddy’s (Edward’s) date; and in the winter it was an occasional movie, staying home, popping corn and watching TV, or sometimes taking long rides—often getting lost. 

At our house Ed was taught farm chores—picking cotton, pulling corn, and caring for the farm animals. He tried very hard to learn these lessons, but don’t think he was cut our to be a farmer. However, we had fun learning each others life styles and our families became good friends, even with the vast differences. Tell you about the wedding in June.



 Early Sunday morning my phone rang. Knew it could not be Mom, but it sure brought back years of memories. She always woke me up around six to wish me a “happy birthday.” Was a  little let down when I did not hear her voice, even knowing it was not possible. Got up, ate my toast (no birthday pancakes), showered, dressed and was off to church. Several there wished me a happy birthday and Cathy Sartain gave me a jar of pear preserves, which I will certainly enjoy. Our Sunday School class had a card for me. Choir members all wished me a happy day. Was a great day to be alive and to have so many friends.


Leaving the church after morning service, I destroyed a tire. It went completely flat just as I was exiting the By-pass on to 315, so I turned into the Shell parking lot, parked the van in the last  parking spot and got out. Parked across from me was long-time friend, Gay Bowen, whom I had not seen in several years. She asked if I had a problem. Told her I did and even though she was waiting for a friend, she took me home. It is so great to live in a wonderful place like the Valley where friends go  out of their way to meet your needs. Thanks Gay, and it was so good to see you again.


Later in the afternoon, Betty Davis called to ask if I could notarize something for Tracie. Told her I could if she could provide transportation. They came for me and we went to the office—was surprised that I remembered to pick up my office key. After we finished there, they treated me to a Sonic lemonade, which was delicious. As they were taking me back home, the light bulb came on. I was going to have to call a church member to transport me to evening services, so I  just had them stop by the van, got the church key, and take me to church early. 

After discipleship training and a favorite hymn sing, Becky York announced that we were having a short meeting in the fellowship hall. Well that meeting was a surprise birthday party for me—and I was certainly surprised. It was a great fellowship, with lots of delicious food, a birthday cake and ice cream. Sammie Cobern had made my favorite pecan pie muffins and she packed up the left overs for me to eat the rest of the week. 

Then on Monday morning Travis York brought me the leftover cake, which we’ve all been enjoying, along with a jar of muscadine jelly, which I’m not sharing. From what I expected to be a very quiet and dull birthday, mine turned into a really festive occasion. Thanks, everyone.


Birthday gift and card came from Celeste and Jim. Was a box full of interesting reading material, along with the cutest night shirt covered in bears, which they had bought as they vacationed in Canada this summer. Love the shirt and now I have an article in my wardrobe from Canada, along with I’m sure pictures of Canadian bears. For a want-to-be traveler and a bear collector, you can’t beat this present.



Al Davis rolled out of bed early Monday morning to be my taxi to work. Now that is a friend indeed.


Then Lee Crocker came for my van and got a tire on the ground that will hold air—have to order a new one. They also replaced my headlights, so I can now travel from Water Valley to Batesville each week more safely. George returned the van and says I should be able to get home and back until he gets the new replacement tire. I do appreciate all the folks who take care of me.

Leave a Comment