Skip to content

Look Back in Yalobusha History

Herald Moved To Current Location A Decade Ago

10 Years—October 25, 2007

The Herald was moving to 416 Main Street, after having been in the 500 Main Street Building for four decades. The present move was much easier, with most of the equipment carried by hand to its new home compared to the previous move requiring wreckers and fork lifts to move the equipment.

Wile squirrel hunting near Fly Mountain with Brandon Richardson, Justin Smith got lost. Smith was not familiar with the area and a little storm blew through. 

Richardson, who was very familiar with the area, was able to help Sheriff Lance Humphreys located the missing hunter by texting Smith Carline and Wilbur Herring were getting ready to celebrate 50 years of marriage at a reception in First Baptist Church, hosted by their children, Kim Jones and Shannon Herring.

Martha Hughes retired from the City Electric Department after 34 years of service.

In the second highest-scoring football game of the season the Blue Devils were handed a loss, 61-21, by the Bruce Trojans.

20 Years—October 30, 1997

In a last minute come-from-behind effort, the Blue Devils beat the Charleston Tigers, 30-29.

Bobby Murphree, president of the Blue Devil Booster Club, presented Sam Goodwin a $500 check as winner of the Cow-Patty Contest, held during Friday night’s game. Sam then gave the check to Jerry Holt, Water Valley High School Administrative Coordinator, to be used in the computer drop plan for the school.

The home of Mr. and Mrs. Steve Jones was selected to receive the “Yard of the Month” award for October by The Garden Club of Water Valley.

Petty Officer Robert Chandler, son of Bob and Mary Chandler, is on a five-month South American deployment aboard the dock landing ship, USS Whidbey Island.

A huge dirt-moving project was underway as O’Tuck Supply was preparing to move to a new location. They were moving from Hwy. 7 South to Hwy. 315 West.

30 years—October 29, 1987

In a long-time match-up, the Blue Devils had been on the loosing end of the series, but in Friday’s game they ended the dry spell by defeating the Trojans by a score of 23-14. 

City sales tax figures show a decline from those of 1986 by almost $3,500.

Charlie McLellen, president of the New Water Valley Jaycees, and Jaycee Steve Ross, attended the Dixie Institute in Macon, Georgia.

Cub Scout Pack 250 celebrated 30 years of service in the Water Valley Area. The first Cubmaster was Mose Henderson and his assistant was Harry Campbell. Den Mothers were Dollie Henderson and Merline Dowsing.

The Oakland Garden Club installed new officers and the new president was Mrs. June Jayroe.

Betty Melton, Blackmur Memorial Librarian, announced that the library now has closed-captioned video cassettes of Bible stories.

40 Years—October 27 , 1977

Jo McKay will head the St. Jude Fund Drive in Water Valley. St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital was started by entertainer, Danny Thomas, and provides free treatment to all patients.

The Independence Wildcats proved to be to strong for the Blue Devils, with the final score Water Valley 6 and Independence 30. Water Valley’s lone score came from Larry Willingham throwing a pass to Ben Williams in the second quarter.

Marvelene McCullar of Water Valley was one of several University of Mississippi student teachers for the semester being placed in South Panola at Batesville. Another Vallian, Jessey Higdon, was student teaching in the North Panola School at Sardis.

50 Years—October 26, 1967

Lu Ann Reed, daughter of Professor and Mrs. Alfred Reed, Jr., was named Water Valley Junior High School homecoming queen. Her escorts were Jack Michelletti, son of Mr. and Mrs. L. C. Cook, and Earl McMinn, son of Mr. and Mrs. Bill McMinn.

A seriously crippled Blue Devil team, dropped Friday’s game to North Panola’s Red Raiders, 32-13. With this loss the Blue Devils dropped to a four-way tie for first place in the Chickasaw Conference with Tunica, Horn Lake, and Coldwater.

Planning the Girl Scout Fund Drive were Cindy Massey, daughter of Mr. and Ms. Roy Massey; Mrs. Baxter Jones, Drive Chairman; Mrs. Tommy Swearengen, Neighborhood Chairman; Bonnie McKinney, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Clinton McKinney; and Paula Knight, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Jimmie Knight.

The Yalobusha County Board of Supervisors announced their plans to issue bonds for the county’s part of the cost of constructing and equipping a nursing home.

Pictured was the new Yalobusha Country Club and pool which would  hold an open house on Sunday. The building and pool are completed and furnished, with all related pool equipment having been installed.

60 Years—October 24, 1957

Mrs. E. J. Hendricks died October 16 and her husband died October 22. They leave three daughters, Mrs. James Elliott of Gary, Ind., Mrs. Carl Henderson of Humboldt, Tenn., and Miss Mary Hendricks  of Memphis.

Irene Fortinberry, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Toxey Fortinberry, was a member of the cast of “The Madwoman of Chaillot, which was to be presented at Blue Mountain College.

The Blue Devils dropped a heart-breaker to Horn Lake Friday night, 14-13. The Blue Devils are showing tremendous improvement under the director of Bob Tyler in his freshman year of coaching.

The Water Valley “Bees” football team will meet the Oxford “Bees” Monday night, Coach Bobby Tyler announced.

Janelle Mayo, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Paul Mayo, and Joe Ford, grandson of Mr. and Mrs. J. J. Ford, were selected as winners of the “Bop” contest during the “Hop Hop” held in the City Auditorium. Only junior high, high School, and college students were allowed to dance.

70 Years—October 30, 1947

Two stores will re-open in Water Valley after having been heavily damaged by fire. Johnny McDonald states his grocery store will reopen at its former location on south Main. Miss Vallie Edwards also stated that her store will resume operations.

Five 4-H Clubbers, Robert Lawshe, William Hudson and Gilda Lynn Jones, all of Water Valley, Elbert Sides and James Earl Johnson, both of Coffeeville, have won trips to State Roundup in Jackson. They will be accompanied by Frank Tucker, Assistant County Agent.

Paul B. Johnson, Jr. spoke in Water Valley in the interest of his candidacy for U.S. Senator.

The first of Mississippi’s war dead to be returned to the United States arrived on aboard the USS Connolly in New York from Europe. From Yalobusha County were Pvt. Cynclair B. Wilson, Jr. son of Mrs. Inez H. Wilson of Water Valley, and Pfc. Tandy B. Carpenter, son of Ira Carpenter of Tillatoba.

At the opening of Chancery Court, Yalobusha Bar paid tribute to Judge Vernon Rowe, late chancellor of the district.

The Blue Devils had an open date, but would meet the Senatobia Warrior Friday night.

Leave a Comment