Skip to content

Betty’s Week

Well we finally got a Christmas and New Year’s season with appropriate temperatures—matter of fact for me they are a little to extreme. Last night, as I left from work, I went from the front door to the van, which was parked in one of the far rear spots and I though I was going to freeze going that short distance. (This was Wednesday, December 27—part of the column is being written early). 

The holidays always mess up our printing schedule, but this year I think has been the most confusing in all my 59 years. Our December 28 paper was printed on Friday night, December 22, but delivered at the correct time on Wednesday, December 27. Now our January 4 paper will be printed and delivered on the correct dates. However, we had to work ahead of schedule in order to be off Monday, the 1st, which is when the column is usually written. 



I did get over to Jimmie’s and Bill’s on Christmas Day, even though I really did not feel well enough to go after continuing to battle a cold. We really needed a hospital and not a Christmas tree, though, as the whole family was ill. Bill was recovering from flu, as was his grand, Caroline. Jimmie just had the crud, as most of us did. Sister-in-law Carolyn has missed this but had to have five shots in her back to even be mobile. Nephew Michael had a terrible migraine and his wife, Missy, was possibly coming down with pneumonia. Bo is still battling a shoulder that needs replacing. 

Brother Don has been upgraded to an air cast, after having blood infusions into his heel, reported to be the most painful thing he’s ever suffered and in his life he’s been through a lot. His wife, Gina, had ear problems, caused form infected sinuses and Rance’s wife, Ginny, also has serious ear problems.


Brother Terry and his family were unable to come Christmas, we hope to see them on New Year’s, weather permitting.


Everyone got beautiful and useful gifts—think most of us got exactly what we ask for. The children got some of the most interesting toys and games. All our little barbie dolls got Barbie Dolls. Mom’s youngest great-granddaughters, Caroline and Wallis, could have been the models for Barbie, as could their mothers and even one of their grandmothers (sorry Carolyn).


Usually I make pies, cakes, fudge, and lots of other goodies, but this year there was no way—I could barely stand. Bill slipped in and said I really am disappointed this year, with no fudge, peanut butter fudge, chocolate or lemon pie. I apologized and told him maybe I’d be able to do better in the new year—sure hope so, I’m tired of not feeling good.



Was so sorry to hear of the death of long-time friend, Jack Gurner, Sr., when I arrived back in the office last Wednesday. For several years now, Jack has been my source of history and I really don’t know who will be able to answer my questions now. But more than that I’ll miss just visiting with him from time to time and seeing his smiling face. Sympathy is extended to Jack and Jessie, grandson, Jason, and the entire Gurner family.



 David lost his grandmother, Mrs. Annie-Glenn Johnson Howell, on Friday morning. Mrs. Howell and her husband, the late Hunt Howell, long-time editor of the Panolian, were the first newspaper families in the area that I met when I got into the news business. I was fond of all the Panolian staff and their families, especially Mr. and Mrs. Howell. Mrs.  Howell was such an asset to her family and the entire Batesville area—know she will be missed by so many. Sympathy is extended to David and  all the Howell family.



Our pastor’s wife, Danielle Jones’, father, Mr. Dan Volk, passed away Wednesday night. Mr. Dan was a resident of the Veterans Home in Oxford and Danielle, as was her usual routine, had been out to feed him his evening meal and get him into bed. She had gotten back home, thinking everything was normal, when the call came informing her that her father had suffered a heart attack. Bro. Lynn had been with us at prayer meeting, but had gotten home. Mr. Dan was 91 years old and had lost his wife, also 91 years of age, back in the summer. Sympathy is extended to Danielle, Bro. Lynn, and grandson, Blake. Know you will miss him so much, but comfort comes from knowing that he’s with the Lord and with that beloved spouse of so many years.



Was well enough to cook Bill pies and fudge Friday night, along with a good meal on Saturday. He was grateful, stating that he’d finally gotten a  holiday meal. Brother Terry and his family did not make it up from Brandon for New Year’s Eve. However, Bo and Carolyn joined us—they were taking down the North Pole decorations—and Bo said my food beat that PB&J sandwich he was looking forward to. Bill had gone down to help brothers, David and Jim; nephew, Daniel; and his little son, Cade, build a shelter for the cattle to keep them protected during the predicted extreme cold weather. The Cole boys came to lunch with Bill and it was such a joy to get to visit with and feed them—for many years the Cole and Kilgore families were almost like one. We ate at Mrs. Cole’s table and they ate at Mom’s when a gathering was happening in either household—hard to believe but that started over 60 years ago. Saturday was a most enjoyable day.



Then on Sunday, we had a small crowd at church, but it was a wonderful day of worship, complete with the celebration of the Lord’s Supper. We had no night service and will have no prayer meeting service this Wednesday due to so much sickness and the extreme low temps predicted.



My New Year’s celebration was to watch others celebrate on TV, talk to Jim as he was on his way to a performance in El Paso, eat Rotel dip and Diet Coke, after I’d had my black-eyed peas for luck. Then it was off to bed, since work was beginning again on Tuesday. We have to complete this week’s edition of the Herald, which I will deliver in the morning.


Hope everyone had a wonderful New Year’s celebration and will have a great 2018.

Leave a Comment