Skip to content

Betty’s Week

Was so glad to hear from friend, Anne Burke, Monday. She called to inform us that the Farmer’s Market is now open on Friday afternoons. Available are baked goods, plants, and other items. Anne tells me that the baked goods are better than hers. Anne’s are wonderful, so I have trouble believing this. But on her recommendation, I plan to give them a try.

Was sorry to hear that she fell a few weeks ago and damaged a shoulder. Surgery is planned in the near future, so let’s all keep her in our prayers. Know shoulder injuries are so painful, but a couple of friends have reported excellent results with the surgery and recuperation.


Wednesday morning, as I stopped at Sayle’s Exxon Station on Highway 32, got out of the van and there were Charmie and Dr. Barry Weeks getting out of their car. Was surprised to see them out so early. I didn’t even have to ask why they were there. They were so excited to be on their way to Louisiana to welcome their second grandchild, who was on its way, that it just came bubbling out –Matt and his wife were having their second child. That’s exciting news, which I was so glad I was in the right place to hear, and I rejoice with them.

Congratulations, also, to Great-grands, Mary Lou and Snooky Williams. Snooky was not at the breakfast table when I got to Dunn’s, so they might have also been on their way to see that new baby.


Early Friday morning we had almost as much drama on Main Street as I see in Walker Texas Ranger or New York Blues (shows I sometimes watch when sitting with Mom). Drugs were shipped to our own post office and an arrest was made  in a drug bust, with federal officers, Water Valley police department officers, and the sheriff’s department, participating. It’s hard to believe that action like this happens in our little city. Just shows how wide spread the drug problem is.


I kept the front office all day Thursday and Friday, freeing Mel and David to do a  phone training program for a new circulation program. We’re hoping that this will expedite the delivery of the paper. My job was to keep all patrons in the front office and attend to their needs if at all  possible. 

If not I had to schedule them an appointment at a later time with either Mel or David. This also applied to phone calls. I was able to take care of most of the needs—should be able to, since I’ve been in the front office for many, many years. However, there are some of the computer questions that I’m not current with.


Saturday morning the sunshine was wonderful and the temperature just right, so I decided to let the house go and do a little outside work—yard is a mess. Filled up one large garbage bag, cleaning up one side of the carport. Then made a little  headway in the front yard before breathing became labored.

Realized that I’d better go inside before I had a really serious sinus problem. Stayed out a little too long, because my eyes were watering and my nose was running the rest of the day and Saturday night. Then Sunday morning it had affected my ears and I was having trouble walking a straight line. Finally  thought I had it under control. However, when I got to church I had trouble in Sunday School. Then in the choir I’d sing most of a verse, then have to dig out my tissue, dab my eyes, blow my nose, then sing some more. Was not a comfortable morning in the choir loft.

Adding to the respiratory problem Sunday, was the rain storm. Went inside the church in a hard sprinkle, but when the service concluded, we all waited a long time, thinking the flood would cease, Didn’t happen. I went to the van in a downpour and the water in the parking lot was over my shoe tops. Got  home, changed into dry clothes, ate a sandwich, and just rested most of the afternoon. We had several more hard rains in the afternoon and it rained more during the night. Farmers should  have enough moisture for seeds to germinate, if they can ever get them planted.


On a lighter note, Jim recently sent me bloopers from church bulletins. These were actually printed in bulletins or announced in church services.

The Fasting & Prayer Conference includes meals.

Scouts are saving aluminum cans, bottles and other items to be recycled. Proceeds will be used to cripple children.

The sermon this morning: Jesus Walks on the Water. The sermon tonight: “Searching for Jesus.”

Ladies don’t forget the rummage sale. It’s a chance to get rid of those things not worth keeping around the house. Bring your husbands.

Don’t let worry kill you off—let the church help.

Miss Charlene Mason sang, “I will Not Pass This Way Again,” giving obvious pleasure to the congregation.

Jim sent more, which I’ll share in the future when I have a short column.

As I read these I remembered one that we did in the Herald over 50 years ago. It was in an account of a social event held at First Baptist Church and the refreshment announced as having been served were “Hot Gods and baked beans.”

Leave a Comment