Skip to content

Betty’s Week

Lucia Holloway brought by her April/May copy of eat.drink. MISSISSIPPI, which included a four page spread on The Trusty Diner. The story and photos are by Megan Wolfe and pictured were items on the menu, which made me want to stop work right then and go for food. 

Pictured were Holson ribs with baked sweet potatoes and cole slaw; hummus and pita (which I don’t like, but it sure looked good and lots of folks love); roasted beet salad (don’t like beets, but again it looked good and I’m am sure it’s delicious if you like beets); cherry pie, yum, yum; and a veggie burger, which I hope I  like, because it sounds healthy; a chili cheeseburger; and a filet mignon with sautéed green beans, which I do enjoy. 

The introduction to the article stated that The Trusty Diner has sun pouring through its Main Street windows, warming tables and a row of retro stools parked beside a counter (makes me think of Miles Pastry Shop, where we spent so many happy hours in my early days in the Valley). Stated that those dining there had a cup of coffee, a slice of cherry pie and a copy (of all things) the Herald, which made this a picture-perfect scene. It’s a diner not serving diner food—no beef burgers, French fries, or fried chicken—less grease, more healthy food, although Chef Lawson Gafford doesn’t want it dubbed a health food venue—just food cooked healthier.

Chef Gafford has a strong sense of what he  likes and what he chooses to serve. Lawson is a son of Happy and George Gafford, grandson of the late Louis and Irma Kate Trusty Gafford. Grandmother’s maiden name is where the Diner’s name originates—once there were many Trusty named businesses on Main Street (truck and farm implement business, hardware store, hotel, drug store, etc.).  

The interior of the Diner honors Water Valley’s long-time heritage as a thriving railroad town—being home of the Illinois Central’s shops for many years and for a time was a key stop on the passenger line between Chicago and New Orleans.  Diners were patterned after the dining cars of the railroads and many of them were actually housed in dining cars that had been removed from the rails.

I’ve enjoyed food from the diner, but have not made it in to eat at the counter—looking forward to that. 


We’re in the process of okaying the greeting ads for the graduation section, which will be included in the May 17th issue of the paper. Deadline for these ads is May 10th. If I have not contacted you, and you would like a congratulations ad in this section call us at 473-1473. Our graduates appreciate you thinking of them and your ad stays around for many, many years—I’ve had former grads bring by papers that are 30 to 40 years old to show me.  They had saved and enjoyed them.

Needed advice from Valley Lumber, so just killed two birds with one stone. Okayed their ad with Larry and then got him to thinking on a problem I had. Tom Anderson had repaired my roof leak, but said he thought I also had a foundation problem. He was right, so knew that if anyone could help solve the problem it would be Larry. He suggested that my gutters might be stopped up or that the French drain might be clogged. 

He was right on both counts.  Brothers Bo and Rance came over to cut my weeds for the first time this year and found that dirt had washed in and completely covered the gravel and weeds were actually growing over the drain. Have to find someone to dig this out. Also the gutters need to be cleaned, with all the leaves from last year and the fine little stuff from trees this spring covering the screen mesh. I’m sure correcting both of these problems will help, but still think we’ll need to pull off the baseboards and caulk or rubberize the space between the brick wall and concrete foundation.  

Next on my list was Joey Hastings at Sartain’s True Value, where I needed mouse poison and rubber protectors for my step stool. Got both orders filled and okayed the grad ad. Had not had a mouse in the house for at least a couple of years, but this spring I’ve caught three on my sticky pads. Found that my Decon boxes in both the attic and sunroom had all been consumed—that stuff must really work. 

Our Valley is really fortunate to have such knowledgeable and helpful folks in our business establishments. Larry can always find me the person I need to build or repair all the things I need and he can supply the materials they need to get the jobs done. Joey has advice as to what I need to do all my jobs and he can repair anything that breaks, or if it’s unfixable he can get a new appliance or other-needed item. All my needs, so far, have been met within walking distance.

Also had O’Tuck on my list, but didn’t make it that far out—also in walking distance, but I choose to ride in the van. Especially since I plan to buy lots of plants and potting soil.

Did get all the pots and beds cleaned out Saturday, so I’m ready to make that trip. With the brothers over, I worked outside with them for a long time Saturday, cleaning out pots and beds, helping pick up tree limbs and other debris, while they cut my grass and weeds. Bo runs the weed trimmer and Rance the ridding mower. The yard was so wet—just like walking on a sponge—that the mower actually got stuck.

Boys noticed my light lines were drooping from the last pole to the and then from that pole to the house. Gave Andy Hall the message that they needed attention, but also advised him not to come until the yard dried up a lot—don’t want the bucket truck stuck in the back yard. Just some more good service—our electric department is always on top of things and we do appreciate them.


Was good to visit with Mark Anthony Friday morning before going to Batesville. He is struggling with a back problem and will have a herniated disk repaired in the near future. Let’s keep him on our prayer lists. Also, Mark was telling me about the strife going on in Nicaragua at the present. The team from Mt. Liberty is planning another trip there this spring, which hopefully will not be canceled because of the uprising against Christians. Let’s also pray for these Christians there and for the trip.

After my visit with Mark and shopping in Larson’s, I went over to the nursing home in Batesville to visit with Mom. Found her in good spirits. Arrived in time to feed her lunch and she ate most of it and announced that she’d enjoyed it. Sitter Dorothy was to attend a funeral on Saturday and needed to get her hair done, Bo and Carolyn had a dinner date with friends, and Jimmie went with Bill to pick up granddaughter, Caroline, so I sat with mom until bedtime. 

Fed her supper and again she ate well, even though they fed her later than usual. Then they did not  come to put her to bed until almost eight. I knew I could get her into bed by myself and offered to do so, but she says, “I’m not sleepy, think I’ll sit up awhile longer.” And she did until about eight—an hour past her usual bedtime. 

After I was sure she was sound asleep, I came on home. Driving was a little scary, because we had a full moon and I’d heard all kinds of deer stories—near misses. I tried to drive slowly, but for about 10 miles of the trip, a large pickup with powerful bright lights stayed on my bumper, so it was drive 60 or be run over. Finally got to the fire station on Eureka, where I knew I could pull off the road safely and let him go and go he did—didn’t see his taillights again. Rest of the trip was comfortable driving, with very little traffic and no deer sightings,

Have had deer in the yard though. While cleaning out the pots, found one hosta completely eaten, but at least they did not pull it out by the roots—it will come back. Only found five living plants, out of some 20, or more, planted. Deer seem to enjoy anything I plant on the hill. Was reading in a magazine that deer do not like Rosemary. I’ve never cooked with this herb, but plan to buy several—might even like it—but in case I don’t the report stated that it is a pretty plant with beautiful blue flowers. Have found that deer don’t seem to care for iris. Mine have bloomed this year and the flowers and the foliage seemed to have survived the deer. Also, apparently deer don’t care for azaleas either.


Enjoyed the beautiful weather over the weekend. On Sunday morning I questions whether it was a day to go to church. For the past several weeks we’ve had rain (drizzles to torrents) on both Wednesdays and Sundays. It sure was nice though to get in and out of the van with out water going into my shoes. Hopefully this warm, dry weather will continue though the week. Maybe we’ll have a few weeks of spring. Think our last cold spell was blackberry winter, because I noticed my berries blooming.

C. T. Hand, a Florida snowbird, was in this morning and he said that he and Terri had though they were going to have to go back to Florida to find some warm weather. However, he did admit that Florida had also had unusually cold weather this spring. Glad to have the Hands back in the Valley for a while, and hope we now will have some better temps for them to enjoy—maybe it want go immediately to a scorching summer.


Leave a Comment