Skip to content

Betty’s Week

Papers arrived from the press an hour late Wednesday morning. I waited in the van until the rain slacked then went on inside in case there was news of what the hold  up was. First call was from Cynthia Knight, one of my first customers at Sprint Mart. She had called to make sure I was okay. Explained my problem and assured her all was fine. 

She says, “No problem I’ll just pick a paper up on my way home from school. Just wanted to make sure you did not have a problem.” 

It turned out that Tupelo had heavy rain during the night, slowing delivery from the papers where they are printed at the Northeast Mississippi Daily Journal.

It’s so nice that friends care enough to check up on me—I might have been home sick or stranded on the roadside.  Being an hour late does make a huge difference in the amount of traffic, though.  Going out to Dunn’s I counted 13 cars in a string coming toward the Valley. And several more times there were five to 10 —in that short stretch of road there is no telling how many vehicles I met. Didn’t have time to stop and visit at my stops, though, and I do miss catching up on everything that is going on in our area. Was surprised that I did not see any wildlife on the road—was a terrible morning, weather wise, though, so maybe all the deer and other critters slept in.


So many people have diverticulitis. Sister Jimmie, who has the problem, also was afraid that her stomach ache might be gall bladder and she was coughing almost to the point of losing her breath. She says, “What if I have to have surgery with this cough?” I was cruel, telling her she was sure going to hurt.

Going over to the nursing home in Batesville Thursday morning, there was slow drizzle and was surprised at the lack of traffic and saw no animals—wild or domestic—which is really a miracle on Eureka Road. Coming home Friday night, a tiny little fawn crossed about 20 feet in front of me. It was misting rain and the fog in places was pretty thick, so I was driving slowly. Sure was hoping that all the animals stayed out of the highway.

Mom was in good spirits Thursday, but didn’t sleep much Thursday night, so she didn’t want to wake up. Ate breakfast about 10:30 and then  lunch around 12:30. Didn’t like her dessert, so I gave her some of Agnes Montgomery’s delicious banana pudding. She had that pudding for four meals—it did come in handy. Friends Anne and David Burke had brought Mom some wonderful banana bread, without nuts, which she enjoyed for in-between snacks all weekend. Anne baked and David delivered and Agnes cooked and Robert delivered—just don’t get better friends than these.

On both Thursday and Friday, I watched the news and special reports on both the Batesville trial on the murder of Jessica Chambers  and the Kavanaugh hearing. Both of these seem unsolvable to me. 

Also watched a couple of cute Hallmark movies. One filmed in Fiji and another in South Africa, both have such beautiful scenery. When Jim was just turning three, Ed and I seriously considered going to South Africa for a three-year tour with the Southern Baptist Mission program. They had a complete print shop sitting idle because they could not get printers. 

At the time Ed was working for the University of Mississippi and Daddy Shearer and I were running the Herald. Between the two shops, we were operating every piece of equipment in the South Africa plant. Seeing this  movie made me wonder what life would have been like had we gone and we probably would have had Dad not come down with a serious heart problem. 

Ed had to leave Ole Miss and there was no way that we could leave Mother and the Herald. Daddy never really got well enough for us to consider this move again. After seeing the movie thought, I was telling Jim that  if we ever had the time I wanted to go to South Africa on vacation. He agreed that it would be fun and he and Celeste were willing. Then had to tell him how he’s almost spent the third, fourth and fifth years of his life there.

Not only are the shows on the limited TV service at the nursing home good, but the commercials are also. Dropped by True Value this morning to check out a rug cleaner that I’d seen advertised. It was a Hoover, so I’m sure Joey can get me one if I can just see the commercial again and make  notes as to what the machine is called or maybe get a model number. The feature that I was most interested in was that the shampooer runs like a vacuum cleaner. You push it forward and it dispenses the cleaning fluid in the right amount and then you pull it back and it picks up the dirty liquid. 

It also had an upholstery tool. I like the measured among of liquid, because with my big cleaner I always get the floor too wet and have to go over it several times to get it dried out. My carpet is over good hardwood floors and I’m afraid that all the excess moisture may damage them.


We were planning a finger food fellowship Sunday night at Woodland Hills, following our fifth Sunday night hymn sing. I usually make the same ole things each time we eat at the church—cheesecake, brownies, chicken salad, and ham and cheese sandwiches. 

Got out the old cookbooks and searched for recipes. I remembered George Miles’ Dream Bars (about 50 years ago at the pastry shop). Found the recipe and made it—was almost the same, except I overcooked them. The proper name for these delicious cookies is Magic Bars—George called them Dream Bars and Ed called them Nightmares (even though they were his absolute favorite treat). 

Think he dubbed them that because they helped him put on many of those pounds he carried around—they were nightmares to his health. Also found a different corn dip. It was Cheddar Cheese/Corn Dip and was pretty good. However, I like the  newer version better and often make it (Betty Davis makes it better) and we’ve eaten it on lots of occasions.  We enjoyed a great song service and lots of good food and fellowship.


The Blue Devils got back into the winning column Friday night, with their 43-0 win over Holly Springs. Holly Springs is one of the first teams (I really think it was the first) I remember seeing the Devils play, way back in 1957 when Ed and I were dating. This was one of the few games I saw on the old football field—in 1958 we moved to the stadium now being used. Congratulations, team. The Blue Devils will return to the home field this Friday night when they meet M. S. Palmer (Marks).   

Leave a Comment