Skip to content

Betty’s Week

Last Wednesday, as I was coming back up the street from delivering papers to B.T.C., I found a member of the Town and Country Garden Club changing out her planter from the beautiful Bubble Gum petunias to pansies. Inquired as to what they’re doing with the petunias and the answer was trashing them. 

I asked for them and they were even brought across the street to the office by her husband. Took them home and planted them in a couple of large empty pots, where the deer had eaten the  plants. One pot is doing really well—can’t even tell that  it was moved. 

The other, not so good, but it did not have much root system, however it is not dead and may make it yet. Before a  killing frost I plan to move them into the sun room and enjoy them through the winter and maybe put them back outside  next spring. If they don’t make it though, I certainly plan to find new plants. 

May even put some pots in our front windows and I  hope the Garden Club plans to use them in their pots again next year. Town and Country always does a great job in beautifying Main Street, but I do believe this summer has been the best ever and I do appreciate all their hard work.


On Wednesday nights with Sylvia Beene, our refreshment chair at Woodland Hills out following open heart surgery, I am enjoying taking her place. The children are delightful and enjoy anything we feed them. Wednesday it was pizza and we used Red Barron, which are very good. I’m not a pizza fan, but ate a slice of both the cheese and pepperoni and they were tasty. 

Margie Pilcher and I came in early, cooked them, and served when the children arrived. Discovered that feeding first saved some time and that schedule will continue. While cleaning up I got to hear some of the teaching and Margie, Cathy Sartain, and Cathy Patton do an excellent job, as I know Becky York does with the younger group. Woodland Hills has a teaching advantage, since many of our members are either in the school system, or retired from it. Margie is the only one of this group that is not a teacher—she’s a nurse.


I’m looking forward to Daylight Savings Time —probably the only person around who is. Going to see Mom on Thursday morning at the nursing home in Batesville, I’m leaving later and  later, but sill have to begin my trip at twilight.  However, two more weeks and I’ll have an extra hour. It will also help my early Wednesday delivery mornings.

Thursday morning I think every wild critter had been out and many were dead in the road. Killed were a possum, beaver, small deer, several rabbits and squirrels, a buzzard and probably a fox.

Mom was not very cooperative this weekend. She did not want to eat, or take her meds. However she did want to keep her flatware, latching on to a fork and spoon with a strong grip. We would  have left the spoon with her but were afraid she might hurt  herself with the fork, so I was elected to wrestle her for it. 

Finally got her to release her grip, but only after she had stabbed my hand with the fork—thankfully it was not a serious wound. It was a funny tussle. We got her up and into her chair and I was going to make sure she stayed awake—didn’t work. All she did while I tried to talk to her was yell at me to sit down and shut up, which I did and she went back to sleep. Woke her up for lunch, which she ate about a third of, and them it was back to sleep. Finally mid-afternoon we just put her back in bed and let her sleep. Was amazed that she slept all night.


  Bo came in early Friday, relieved me and I came on home. Ate a bowl of soup, rested for a bit, then went to bed at nine o’clock—can’t remember when I’d been to bed at that hour. I slept until eight Saturday morning. Shortly after I got up, Betty Davis called to tell me of the death of Erik Reed’s wife, Donna. Many of you know Erik, who is the great nephew of Ludie Appleton. His uncle is Brent Shirley, a resident of Yalobusha Nursing Home. Our sympathy to Eric and all of Donna’s family.


Sunday we were privileged to have Derrick Redwine of Coffeeville fill our pulpit for both services. Although an employee of the Corps of Engineers, he is a great speaker and preaches some wonderful sermons. Sunday morning was on the parable of the sower and Sunday night was a teaching message about events following the death of Jesus on the Cross, both were very inspiring and instructive. 

Ludie used to say, if a preacher was not a very good speaker, that she wondered if he heard go preach and God was telling him to go plow. I think she probably would reverse this if she heard a message from Derrick. Even though God has not called him to the ministry, I’m glad Derrick is using the talent God has blessed him with. 

We, at Woodland Hills, appreciate his sharing the Word with us during our search for the man God wants as under shepherd of the church.


  I have a problem and if anyone has had a similar ailment let me know. A couple weeks ago it began with a terrible itch—no sign of a bite, not even a red spot. Two days later there was a red stripe about an inch and a half long, still no whelp, but the itch grew worse and the mark  began to hurt. On the third day, while in the shower, I found two bite marks, then a space and two more bites.  There has not been any blisters or pus on the bites. They then began to burn like a hot item had touched the place. 

I’ve had no fever, but have been very tired and with a slight nausea, with no stomach ache. Now into the third week, the spots are healing and they look like a bad burn looks as it begins to heal. Itch is gone but the place still hurts and I still feel the nausea and tiredness. Sister Jimmie says it is probably a spider bite, or bites, but not  brown recluse since it has not become infected and there seems to be no sign of sloughing off. I may just have two problems at the same time, since I sleep in a recliner one night a week, which makes my back and legs hurt, get practically no rest, don’t eat correctly, and the stress with Mom is high—bite may just be a normal spider bite, with symptoms exaggerated by otter circumstances.


  The Blue Devils are still playing great football, defeating the Independence Wildcats Friday night on Bobby Clark Field, by a score of 55-7. Friday night they will play the final game of regular season play, meeting the North Panola Cougars in Sardis. This will probably be the toughest opponent of the season. Good Luck Blue Devils.

Leave a Comment