Skip to content

Betty’s Week

Was glad to hear that we now have a new Main Street baby. Lindsay and Joey Hastings’ little girl arrived on Monday, October 22, weighing 8 pounds, 4 ounces. She has been named Sydney. Congratulations. First new baby we’ve had on Main in a long time.


Paper delivery at Dunn’s Wednesday morning was interesting. In their parking lot were more vehicles than I’ve ever seen there and I’ve been delivering for about 25 years. When I arrived I counted six pick-ups pulling boats and probably another 20 to 25 other vehicles. I always pull into the east end of the drive way, park in front of the door next to the gas pumps. Not last week. 

I barely got out off the highway, squeezing in behind a pickup.  Then another vehicle pulled in directly behind me, blocking the exit drive—I was pinned in. Going into the store there were about six fishermen standing by the door and I asked, “Are the fish jumping into boats?” 

They just laughed. Coming out I was sure I was going to have to wait awhile to get out of the parking lot. However, the pickup that had pulled off the highway directly behind me, blocking the driveway, had moved—must have backed into the  highway. And the pickup and boat on the store side of me had moved. Don’t know how it got out, but was pleased to see it gone. 

That offered me a little wiggle room, to pull out beside the truck right in front of me and the one on by back corner. I made it with a couple of inches to spare. Was glad because I was dreading calling Andi Epes and telling her I’d demolished a couple of expensive pickups and one large bass boat. Normally I’d just have waited until the coast was clear, but Wednesday morning the parking lot was filling up as fast as someone left, so with an opening I decided I’d better take it.

When I got to the Shell Station, I found one lone small fishing boat. Inside I talked to the owner of this boat—taking about his mother who was 99 years old and mine who is 104. Then we walked out together and I said your boat looks kinda lonesome and explained about the numerous boats I’d seen at Dunn’s. He picked up the pace and exclaimed, “Bye, I’d better get out to the lake before they catch all the fish.”


Thursday morning I left for the nursing home late because of the fog and drizzle. On Wednesday night I’d intended to fill up with gas as I passed the Shell Mart but drove right by, not giving a thought to the gas gauge until about half-way to Batesville. Looked down and found that I had a quarter of a tank—lower than I usually let the van get, but I knew that this would safely get me there and would probably have gotten  me home Friday night.  

Taking no chances though, I told Jimmie to take my key and credit card and fill the van. She says, “You’re  not going anywhere and it is still raining hard out there, so I’ll do it tomorrow afternoon.” Fine with me. However, middle of the morning Friday, Bo came in and says, “Give me your key and I’ll get you some as.” 

Which he did. He also noticed that I had a low tire light on, so he gave me air in all the tires, getting them aired up to required amount. Bought the van back, parked it and announced that I was now ready to go with a full tank and air in all my tires. Normally I would not have gone out to the van until time to leave Friday night. However, Mom’s next door, Nellie, came in to get a Herald. Because of the rain Thursday morning, I’d brought in only necessary items, so I had to run out and pick up the papers. Papers were on the passenger side front seat and as I bent to pick them up, I noticed that tire was flat. Called Bo and he came back, took the tire off, went to Dunlap and Kyle for a repair. 

Didn’t just have a flat, I had a major problem. Some part of the valve stem was completely deteriorated. They explained that one part on this tire component is made of aluminum, which oxides and breaks. The life span of this aluminum is about eight to 10 years. My van is 10 years old, so it was time.

They fixed the one on that tire and I’m scheduled to return on Thursday or Friday so they can take care of the other three—do not want to be stranded with a flat tire. God does provide miracles. Bo aired the tires, which probably moved the stem enough for it to break, I went out to the car in daylight and found the flat, and he was able to get the tire fixed and find the major problem. 

Mom ate well while I was with her, but she was not very cooperative otherwise. Friday morning, while I was answering questions for a visiting nurse, our CNA came in to change Mom. I usually help, but Stephanie said she could do it by  herself, so I continued with the conversation.  Shortly, Mom began hitting Steph, so I jumped up to help hold Mom’s hands and calm her down. 

In my rush, I turned my bad knee again – it had not given me even a twinge for several months. Well, I must have done it in pretty good,  because it has hurt so bad that I’ve not slept for three nights. Couldn’t find an ice pack and when I got home I remembered that mine was at the office. Don’t know why I failed to remember that frozen peas make a good substitute for an ice pack. The knee was better Monday.


Had another miracle Sunday afternoon. Debated as to whether I should climb the stairs on my bad knee to get Halloween vests from the cedar chest, finally deciding that I could make it. Was glad I did. Had not been upstairs in about four months—since Celeste and Jim had visited in late June. Found water on the staircase, a short strip of floor, and on an antique table. Had I not decided to go for the Halloween gear, I would  probably not have been in that second floor room until Christmas and you can imagine the damage. Called Marchbanks Monday morning to get it repaired.


Football game Friday night ended with a disappointing score of 52-19, in favor of the North Panola Cougars. I almost went, but decided that I’d better just get the van home. Also, had to check in when I arrived and if I had trouble my rescuer might not have wanted to get out that late. This loss leaves the Blue Devils in second place in the 2-3A Conference. We’ve seen second place teams win in the play-offs, so good luck team.


Sat down at  desk Monday morning and it looked different. In place of my computer was an antique Royal typewriter with the message, “Thinking of you Miss Betty. May not be brand new, but like new, like you.” A smiley face and signed Rupert. Rupert  is David’s uncle and is a character. For the first year after Ed’s death Rupert kept me going. He could  be a stand-up comedian and kept me laughing and upbeat for a year—couldn’t  have made it without him. Rupert, sorry I missed visiting with you, but you can come again now that you’re retired. During that year we also had Rupert’s wife, Rita Jean, who kept us fed, and John, David’s father, who also helped with the production of the Herald.   

Team also included T. J. and Mary Jo Ray,  Ludie, Jim, part time, and many other volunteers. Boy, we did have a great staff that year. 

Leave a Comment