Skip to content

Betty’s Week

Either the fish had stopped biting last Wednesday, or the fishermen were afraid if they pulled them out of the lake they would drown. Fishermen might have drown, also, from rain coming down, or it certainly might have filled their boats to the sinking point. Traveling 32 from the Exxon Station to Dunn’s, I drove in the hardest rain I’ve ever seen.

Kept looking for a place to pull off, but it was raining so hard that I could not even see the highway, much less a safe place to pull over. I was driving 40 mph or less and everyone else was doing the same — you know that weather conditions are bad when the early morning traffic slows below 65. 

In some areas there were as many as 10 to 15 cars all traveling at that slow speed and maintaining several car lengths between them — never seen that before and I’ve been running that paper route for many years. It was tough driving, folks. Saw the forecast for Wednesday and there are possible snow flurries—if it’s icy don’t expect paper delivery by me. You’ll have to wait for David.


Last week was filled with grocery shopping and cooking. Woodland Hills had paid off its note—church is completely debt free. This is due to God’s grace and His providing of so many volunteers through the years, who helped with labor and cost cuts on many supplies. We do appreciate all of you. 

To celebrate we had a  special service, with our Yalobusha County Director of Missions, Rev. Craig Baker, as speaker,  followed by a fellowship meal. With my Mom-sitting duties, I have to spread my cooking out over the week. On Monday night I made a cheesecake and lemon icebox pies—they keep a long time. Then on Wednesday night I baked a ham. Finally on Saturday I made casseroles—green bean and sweet potatoes. 

Took time out in the afternoon to attend great-nephew Briley’s seventh birthday party, hosted by his grands, Carolyn and Bo Kilgore. Most of  the family was there  and we had a good time and enjoyed a delicious fish dinner, with all the trimmings, and a cute NASCAR birthday Cake. 

I enjoyed seeing the birthday presents—most completely foreign to me. There was a basketball goal and Leggos, which I remember. 

Three-year-old Wallis (Gina’s and Don’s grand) and Caroline (Jimmie’s and Bill’s grand) helped unwrap the gifts—all so cute. Jack, who had suffered a broken leg earlier in the football season was also with us—he’s now a handsome young man, having grown so much this year.  Left the party early to come back and continue my cooking. Final item on my menu was pot roast, which I stuck in the oven and rested (watching a Hallmark movie) until time to put in the veggies (then saw another movie while they cooked).

In addition to the great birthday meal, I had cooked peas, lima beans, corn, cornbread, and some fried green tomatoes, picked to keep them from freezing. Fried very small tomatoes and they are delicious. Never had small ones before because we always let them get to large size (just before turning red) before picking them to cook green. Think I’ll plant some tomatoes next year to gather the small ones to fry.

Bo also fried green tomatoes and when I told him about the little one, he says, “I had enough little ones to feed this crowd, but it would have taken all day to cut up and get them fried, so I just went to the grocery and bought full size fruit.”  

I probably gained a few pounds Saturday—ate a large breakfast, then peanut butter and crackers mid-morning, my lunch, then the birthday meal, and later that night I had cooked apples (needed space in the freezer), made apple sauce and ate a lot of it, along with hot buttered biscuits. Now remember, I’d had very little to eat on Thursday and Friday.


When I got home Friday afternoon, the phone was ringing. It was Jim calling to check on me—he’d finally heard about the storms on Monday night. Told  him if Andy Hall had not come by and given me the news that I would never have known that we had tornadoes in the area. Andy says that one passed nearly over my house. 

All I saw was what looked like heat lighting in the east and then some rain. Never heard the tornado and there was very little wind around me. Everyone else told different stories, some going to their storm shelters. I just went to bed. The sirens went off for almost an hour, but with the TV on I never heard it—I live a ways out of the city. 

Andy reported that we dodged a bullet as there were several in the air in our area. I saw the aftermath of the 1984 tornado and one is enough for a lifetime.


Ray Milstead’s daughter called this  morning to asked how to send his obit. Was so sorry to learn of his death. Ray and I had talked on the phone many times over the years and he had been by the office a few time. 

His sister, Fay Ross, was our linotype operator when I married Ed, so we’ve been great friends for over 60 years. Ray’s first wife, the late Anne Shuffield, was a sister to Odie, Charles and Lynda Rae Shuffield. His second wife, was the late Mary House Inman and I knew all the House family and her first husband, the late Max Inman. Sympathy to all Ray’s family.


Football season is still alive and well in the Valley. Was so happy to learn that the Water Valley High School Blue Devils soundly defeated the Booneville Blue Devils Friday night by a score of 41-14. This week they will meet the Houston  Hilltoppers on the Houston field. Go over to Houston and cheer on the Blue Devils. Wish I could go, but have to sit with Mom.  

Leave a Comment