Skip to content

Betty’s Week

Recently enjoyed a visit from Justice Court Judge Steve Riley. In our conversation Steve related that he did not intend to seek re-election to another term as Justice Court Judge, Post 2. He gave me permission to announce his retirement from this position. 

When I asked what he planned to do following leaving this office, Steve said that he was still undecided. In my opinion, Steve has served the county well in this position and I know he’ll be an asset in whatever he decides to do.


Brother Bo has been subbing in sitting duties at the nursing home for me since I damaged the knee a couple of weeks ago. He had doctor appointments last weekend, so I took over again and managed okay. Weather was not good. 

Arriving Thursday morning, I decided to just leave all my stuff in the van and make Jimmie bring it in when she came by late that evening. Did not want to take a chance on falling on that wet asphalt—was afraid that I might not be so lucky (or God might not  take such good care of me) and I’d come up with broken bones or at best lots of bruising. 

Made it inside fine and the staff and neighboring residents seemed so glad to see me. The sunshine Thursday morning was beautiful, but it didn’t last long. As she ate breakfast, Mom kept commenting on what a beautiful day it was—sitting up for her breakfast, Mom is next to the window and she can see the bright light and knows when the sun is shining. Then the clouds rolled in and she kept asking why it was getting so dark—she did not like  those clouds and wanted the sunshine back. 

Didn’t happen. It rained most of Thursday, Thursday night, and was still raining when I left for home after five on Friday. Jimmie got off work, came to feed Mom her supper and put her to bed, sending me home early. Leaving about 5:30 was not a time to travel on the Eureka Road—think half of Panola County must live on Eureka or on one of the roads off it. The mist just messed up the windshield, lights were a flare, both oncoming and those behind me. 

Fortunately when I saw a deer right beside the highway on my lane, there were no cars behind me and I was able to stop, thinking I’d let it cross, but it decided it wanted to turn around and go back where it came from. However, when you see one deer you think everything that moves is another, so driving on home I was very apprehensive. And this happened only about five miles from Batesville.

Sitting with Mom, I caught up on the news and all the Hallmark movies for the past two weeks. One was based on a true story of a man and woman. The woman was a nursing student, who began feeling under the weather and her mother finally convinced her to see a doctor. Discovered that she was in dire need of a liver transplant. 

A donor was not found and they began looking for a live donor, first among  her relatives, then a plea went out to the community. The owner of the Christmas tree lot, where she and her family always bought their tree, heard the story and was relating it to his cousin, who was back from overseas duty and decided that if someone close to him needed help he would hope some kind person would come forward to help. 

He volunteered to be screened to see if he was a donor candidate. He was a match and finally convinced the young woman that he really wanted to give her half of his liver. The transplant was a success and, as you probably have guessed, they fell in love and were married. I saw the couple on which the story was based interviewed and they seemed so happy.

Another movie that I remembered, simply because I pulled a similar stunt while baking a cake. This couple had problems with each other at the beginning of the film but then got to be close. The girl’s  mother had to bake cookies for  a contest and because of a problem, she was called away from her baking. She left the two, who had never baked before in their lives, to bake her cookies, with instruction that she had to win. 

The first batch looked okay, but they decided that they had better see if they tasted as good as they looked. Facial expressions definitely told that they did not. Tracing their steps to find out what was wrong, they tasted what they thought was the sugar container and found salt. After they got rid of the salt and found the sugar, cookies got lots better. The cookie contest turned into a free for all. 

I’m a pretty good baker, but when baking an upside cake I put the topping in the skillet and then made the batter. Putting the batter over the toping I got some on my fingers and as always just licked it off. It was awful and I realized that I had been interrupted when assembling the batter and obviously had skipped the sugar. Batter was already on top of the pineapple, sugar and butter layer, with no way to remove it. So I just sprinkled sugar over the batter, using my finger stirred it in, baked the cake and it was fine.


Saturday  morning I slept in—trying to catch up on sleep lost Thursday  night. The rest of the day was spent washing dishes, clothes, dusting, etc. Also cooked and ate, my favorite pastime. When I needed to rest the ailing leg, I iced it while siting on the den sofa, watching the leaves falling and the rain coming down. Even in the high wind and rain, I saw several cardinals and they were so beautiful on that dreary day. 


Word reached us of the death of long-time friend, Lisa Denley McNeece, Monday morning. The Denley family started the Calhoun County Journal in the 50s and Lisa’s parents, Jo Ann and Gail were about Ed’s age. Occasionally we’d visit  Gail and his parents at the paper. Often Jo Ann and the little girls were also in the Journal office. 

Lisa is a niece of Gerald Denley, long-time editor of the  Coffeeville Courier. All these folks were great newspaper editors and staff. Then Lisa met and married another newspaper person, Joel McNeece, whom if I remember correctly was working for the Winona paper. 

After their marriage, Gail, Joel, Lisa, Jo Ann, and another Denley daughter, Celia, have made a wonderful team. Gail also became a professor in the Ole Miss Journalism Department. With the death of Gail, and now Lisa, I’m sure Joel and Celia will carry on the tradition of printing the Journal.  Sincere sympathy to Joel, the children, grands, mother, sisters and their families. We’ll miss her too.

Leave a Comment