Skip to content

Betty’s Week

By Betty Shearer

It’s rare to get to enjoy beautiful moonlight and a sunrise within an hour trip. Going out to Dunn’s Wednesday morning the moon was almost as large and as bright as the harvest moon. I was glad traffic was light and I got to enjoy it each time I came to a break in the tree line. It was almost like daylight. 

Talked for a few minutes, so on my return trip to the Valley the sun was just beginning to rise and  the wisp of clouds painted a  brilliant pink as they floated on a sea of the most delicate blue. Sure would have made a beautiful nursery theme for either a little boy or girl. It’s a shame this scene only lasted for a few minutes.

However the moon was beautiful for several nights and it shines just right to come through my eastern den window. Got home from prayer meeting about eight last Wednesday, fixed a bowl of soup and glass of tea and came in to eat and relax on the love seat, which is positioned in just the right place to watch the moon crawl across that window. 

Started out with tree branches painting patterns across it and then it rises to its full glory before disappearing. If I had not been so tired (Wednesday is a long day), I’d have gone outside and watched it for a longer time. 

Moonlight was one of Ed’s favorite things and if he was still with me we’d have gone to Chickasaw to sit on the picnic table there and watch it sparkle on the waves. I do miss those days. Miss him all the time, but think I miss him most on moonlight nights, especially his invitation to “Let’s go park.” 


On Thursday morning we had fog and I had to wait before heading out for the nursing home. Got there in plenty of time, since breakfast came late. She was in a cheerful mood and ate a good breakfast. Trip home was fine, even though I was traveling in the dark. Did not see any deer or other wildlife and not even a stray dog or cat. However, on my trip Friday morning I had to pass the most beautiful German Shepherd that had been mangled. He must have just escaped from his pen, because I had never seen it before. Also had a short area of fog and it was much worse than any on Thursday. About a mile and a half on either side of Prophet’s Bridge the fog probably cut visibility to less than a hundred feet—it was like running into a wall of cotton.  When I hit it I was driving about normal speed and just took my foot off the gas. Didn’t slow down fast enough, because shortly I saw taillights and they looked like they were right in front of me. 

Van has good brakes and I got it slowed down. From there to Pope/Water Valley Road I drove 40 MPH behind the 18-wheeler and a sedan. Was fine with me—was afraid I’d hit another patch of fog and I’m sure they were also apprehensive. Somewhere about the Panola line a fast moving vehicle got on my bumper and then zipped around me. Finding the other two slow movers, he didn’t make much progress. 

He was still behind them and they were still going 40 MPH when I got my last glimpse of them going around the curve past Pope/WV Road. Hope he had to travel far enough at this speed to learn some patience. I continued at this slow pace, even though I had the road all to myself most of the way and visibility was fine.

After I ran out of the fog, the sun came up and I discovered that sun in your rear-view mirror is just as bad as sun in you eyes—both blind you. Then coming home Friday afternoon, the sun was again in my rear view mirror. Decided cloudy days are better if you’re traveling early morning or late afternoon during this time of the year.


It’s always great to hear from a friend. A note from Patsy McCulley Wright came with her subscription renewal last week. She wrote ”I always look forward to the Herald each week. Thanks so much Betty and Staff. Your friend, Patsy.”

Patsy now lives in Senatobia. But for years she and Gearrell lived in the Valley and they both grew up here. They owned Tops and Jeans for many years. Know classmates and friends will be glad to hear from her, also. Thanks for the note Patsy.


Since I’m now sitting with Mom on Thursdays I have missed the Lenten Luncheons at First United Methodist Church this year. I have enjoyed these so much through the years. I especially wanted to hear their new pastor, Rev. Reed McCaleb, who brought the  message the first week and Rev. Keith Keeton, who was last week’s speaker. Keith is married to the youngest daughter of Dr. and Mrs. Carlock Broome of Pope. Dr. Broome and I were at Northwest during the same years and Mrs. Broome (Hilda) and I often played bridge as a team (I bid, she plays) and we often won doing this. Miss those days.


Column is being written late this week and there is still very little in it. However I will tell you the reason for the tardiness. I had a doctor’s appointment in Oxford and my driver was Betty Davis. When they called me back from the lobby, Betty went with me and we reported that we were the Bettys, who were long-time friends. The nurse taking us back, as she was leaving us, stated, “Now don’t let me have to come back and settle you two down.” We assured her that we got along really well. Got a great report—seems that I’m in pretty good shape and will only have to have a yearly check-up next March if all continues as it was Monday.

Appointment was for 11:30 and I’m sure we were out about noon, so we went for lunch. Betty knew of a place I had not had the pleasure of enjoying, Mama Jo’s. They serve food like Mama cooked. We both  had country fried steak and gravy, mashed potatoes, green beans and fried cornbread. It was all good—looking forward to a return visit.


Jim is scheduled to arrive Wednesday afternoon. He will be a clinician at Delta State on Friday and Saturday for a Tuba/Euphonium Clinic and then Saturday afternoon he and the baritone clinician will each present a concert as will their students. Plan to go down for the concerts and am so glad to get to enjoy a short visit with him—wish Celeste could have come.

Leave a Comment